World Cup 2010

By Kennon, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

If I was Irish, I would be very pissed off right now. What a way for the French team to waste a World Cup spot.

Deathjester26 said:

If I was Irish, I would be very pissed off right now. What a way for the French team to waste a World Cup spot.

The Irish have a good disposition. Rather than being pissed, I have heard that in Ireland people are just laughing at karma biting France on the arse. I think I heard some of the green in the stands of Mex-Fra was from Irishmen cheering against the French. Their coach is very poor and their whole French Football Association is just a mess.

Well, France got theirs.

England almost didn't make it in either. I would have rooted for the Slovenians if them winning wouldn't make the US a 2 seed.

Ok, I started the topic and then wandered off, but ****, I've gotta say this US game is killing me.

GET IT TOGETHER! We only have minutes of overtime to tie it up again.

Words cannot express my disappointment.

Twas a sad Saturday for the US. I am proud of them while simultaneously wondering how they could expect a 4th comeback after spotting their opponents a lead. If all they accomplished was showing they can be competitive on that level, and it helps our 2018/2022 bids, then mission accomplished. Would have loved to see them play on, but alas.

For England, it will be a long lifetime living down the 4-1 hammering they took from Germany - their press and fans are relentless at times. Then again, those guys are all stars on their teams, so its not their last moment for glory on a big stage.

I'd love to Ghana win it all now. Or Paraguay or Uraguay. No major countries. Why? Good for the game.

Kennon said:

Ok, I started the topic and then wandered off, but ****, I've gotta say this US game is killing me.

GET IT TOGETHER! We only have minutes of overtime to tie it up again.

I really believe that if the USA wants to reach the next level and have hope of consistently going beyond the Round of 16, the USA needs to get rid of Bob Bradley ASAP(I am really unimpressed by how unprepared he had the USA team for every single game) and they desperately need to hire a coach like Jurgen Klinsman. Klinsman is exactly the type of coach the USA team needs. If the USA keeps Bradley they wont be any better than this.

LaughingTree said:

I really believe that if the USA wants to reach the next level and have hope of consistently going beyond the Round of 16, the USA needs to get rid of Bob Bradley ASAP(I am really unimpressed by how unprepared he had the USA team for every single game) and they desperately need to hire a coach like Jurgen Klinsman. Klinsman is exactly the type of coach the USA team needs. If the USA keeps Bradley they wont be any better than this.

Probably the US team needs a better coach, but surely noone like Jürgen Klinsmann. Being trainer of Bavaria Munich was a fatal error for the club, i think Joachim Löw was and still is the achitect of success in the german team.

Kennon said:

Words cannot express my disappointment.

How about: "My World Cup Fever has subsided, and now I've contracted a bad case of Ghana-ria."

From outside (Spain) it seems that in US you see Football as a "Girls game" (You even give it another name... :P )

Spain has one psicological problem in big tournaments when we reach quarterfinals. We play great and we loose. Last Eurochampionship were a step for us, and it was clear for the players they can win anything and anyone.

If we can reach semifinals, I think that only Brasil can stop us.

Masi said:

From outside (Spain) it seems that in US you see Football as a "Girls game" (You even give it another name... :P )

Spain has one psicological problem in big tournaments when we reach quarterfinals. We play great and we loose. Last Eurochampionship were a step for us, and it was clear for the players they can win anything and anyone.

If we can reach semifinals, I think that only Brasil can stop us.

Actually for linguistic history, The Brits called the game "Soccer" way back in the 1860s-1870s which is the name that was imported to America when immigrants like my grandfather from Scotland arrived in the 1930s and then then post-WWII. The word "soccer" is derived from the term "Association Football" which was the official moniker for the game in England during the 1850s and earlier. The term Association Football distinguished the game from other games like Ireland's native Gaelic football.

So, us Americans simply use the term for the game that was imported from England during the 1860s to 1880s.

It was really the romance languages (Spanish, Italian, French and Portugese) that popularized the name "futebol" and its various incarnations once the English imported the game to Continental Europe and around the world to romance language speaking colonies.

And Brasil is not stopping anyone.

Don't underestimate the Nederlanders or the Deutsch :P

Sorry to be grammar correct but this is pet peeve:

Masi said:

We play great and we loose.

It is lose, not loose.

In English, "Perder" is "to lose".

LaughingTree said:

Sorry to be grammar correct but this is pet peeve:

Masi said:

We play great and we loose.

It is lose, not loose.

In English, "Perder" is "to lose".

Thanks, I can´t remember all the verbs, and I thought that to lose was "lose, lost, loose"

Anyway, I can remember Win...xDDDDD

Next stop, Germany... (I am really not afraid of Netherland ...)

Congrats Spain! I really think you deserved it this year.