Bullseye Arc effect and Range Bonus...

By muzhyou, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello, there!

We've just finished our monthly store event, and for several times we met cases similar to what is shown in the screenshot:

229776367_QQ20200822225550.jpg.62dd405dad5d663188b99bc83daacbe3.jpg

The B-Wing is performing an attack with its Autoblasters against the enemy X-Wing.

The X-Wing is in range 1 of the B-Wing's Front Arc but not in range 1 of its Bullseye Arc.

So here comes the question: how many Attack Dice should the B-Wing roll? 3 or 4?

Some of us (especially we Chinese players, and almost all of us) think it should be 3, but others think it should be 4 because there is no limit said in the text, saying that the requirements of Range Bonus and the Bullseye Arc effect should both be fulfilled to gain the total +2 Attack Dice.

What do you say?

Rules Reference page 5, "Attack Range" and "Attack Arc":

Attack Range is measured between the closest points of the attacker and the defender inside the Attack Arc . The latter depends on the weapon used - in your example the autoblaster uses the bullseye arc, therefore the defender is at range 2.

If you were to use the b-wing's primary weapon, you'd use the front arc and catch the defender at range 1.

Edited by Laminidas

I believe it’s 4, 2 + 1(for range in arc) + 1 for being the bullseye.

I could be wrong, but I don’t use AB much.

10 minutes ago, Laminidas said:

Attack Range is measured between the closest points of the attacker and the defender inside the Attack Arc . The latter depends on the weapon used - in your example the autoblaster uses the bullseye arc, therefore the defender is at range 2.

If you were to use the b-wing's primary weapon, you'd use the front arc and catch the defender at range 1.

I will disagree with this in the case of Autoblaster. Autoblaster does not require the bullseye arc, but gives a bonus for the defender being in the bullseye arc.

Prockets might be a better example - as the defender must be in the bullseye arc for them to work. A defender at R2 in primary, but angled to be R3 in the bullseye would not be able to be attacked with Prockets, but would still suffer other bullseye effects (CLT/Predator/etc).

I hope that made sense.

Edit: To answer OP's question directly- I say 4 dice. 2 for AB, 1 for R1 and 1 more for bullseye arc.

Edited by SwampyCr
3 minutes ago, Laminidas said:

Correct reference, wrong conclusion. The Autoblasters' bullseye arc check is independent of the attack range:

"If the defender is in your [bullseye], roll 1 additional attack die."

While the normal attack bonus (from the main Rule Book p11 under Attack Bonuses ) reads:

"While a ship attacks at range 1, it rolls one additional attack die."

In the OP example both of these conditions are being met. Is the defender in the bullseye arc? Yes. Is the attack range 1? Yes. Since the attack is range 1 and the target is also in bullseye (range unspecified) That adds up to 2 bonus dice because the weapon being used is still a front arc (V) and making an additional check whether the target is also in bullseye ( l ).

9 minutes ago, SwampyCr said:

I will disagree with this in the case of Autoblaster. Autoblaster does not require the bullseye arc, but gives a bonus for the defender being in the bullseye arc.

Ah yes, you're right. I confused the red arc symbol with the bullseye symbol in the text, my fault. So the defender is at range 1 of the front arc while in the bullseye arc , too. Range does not matter for the bullseye arc, so the attacker gains +2 dice for his autoblaster attack.

EDIT: Ninja'd. 😉

Edited by Laminidas
8 minutes ago, SwampyCr said:

Prockets might be a better example -

Prockets has a bullseye attack arc so you only measure range in bullseye for it.

6 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Prockets has a bullseye attack arc so you only measure range in bullseye for it.

In the context of my statements this makes Prockets a great example. I was giving a situation where being in primary at a specific range, but bullseye in a different range would cause a ship to not be able to use the bullseye weapon.

Edited by SwampyCr

I gather then this would also apply to a T-70 closed S-foil situation?

54 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

I gather then this would also apply to a T-70 closed S-foil situation?

Same principle, yes. It doesn't care about the RANGE to the enemy within the bullseye arc; instead, it only cares whether or not the ship is IN the arc (remembering that arcs specifically extend only to Range 3). You would measure range using your front primary arc, then if the target is not SOMEWHERE within your bullseye, you roll 1 less die. (Notable that this restriction is not in place for ordnance, so you can always fire torpedoes at full strength with your S-Foils closed).

418?cb=20181024221201

Autoblasters are quite simple in this case. You shoot in Range 1. Enemy is in Bullseye. You add die for Range and you add die for Bullseye. Nothing in Autoblasters says, it has to be Range 1 Bullseye. Attack has a full Front V Arc in the end. You should shoot 4 Dice and enemy cannot Evade Crits during this attack.