Woof!! The pups are getting their day.

By Mimi61, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Barkham finally has a release date! Whoever had the inside track and said it would be September, was right.
Let the drooling begin!

Edited by Mimi61

Can't wait. Finally the pupperinos have their day. Scoot over Ms. Doyle! 😛

I’m going out on a limb and say that the doggos will all have a deck building restriction of no feline allies. Meow!

Edited by Mimi61
10 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I’m going out on a limb...

Do I need to call the fire department? Looks like I'll be calling in favors.

6 hours ago, Soakman said:

Do I need to call the fire department? Looks like I'll be calling in favors.

Indeed! We should also probably keep Guard dog in the mix, he may be miffed if he weren’t included. He can be put on duty to keep an eye out for Cat Burglars.

Edited by Mimi61
20 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I’m going out on a limb and say that the doggos will all have a deck building restriction of no feline allies. Meow!

Oh I don’t know about that. I am sure there are some cats out there that are good for something. Think of them as rat cats. See the movie Bolt for reference. 😛

RM

Pretty safe bet that there will be no cats allowed because this was specifically called out in the preview article:

The canine investigators included are not intended for use in the rest of Arkham Horror: The Card Game , nor are human investigators meant to be involved in the affairs of their animal friends. (But we know you'll still try it anyway.) However, the player cards from any Arkham Horror: The Card Game product may be used for building your investigator decks, with a few exceptions specific to each investigator. Undoubtedly, the most important one being no cats under any circumstances!

Oh there are cats. They just seem to be cats with tentacles and evil spells (so probably not player cards).

Encounter kitties, was the impression I had from when it was announced.

Cats from Saturn possibly?

Edited by Mimi61
10 hours ago, Assussanni said:

Pretty safe bet that there will be no cats allowed because this was specifically called out in the preview article:

You found it! I thought it was in a Utube interview haven’t said something about not being able to use the investigators in the normal game, (but that they knew we would try) and the had the vague memory exclusion of cats in the deck.

So I am not sure how Barkham will work. I think somewhere it said that there are 78 cards in the pack? Is that correct? Since this is a standalone scenario that does not connect with Arkham Horror proper are we getting all player cards as part of this? If so, that doesn't leave much in the way of player cards to make decks and encounter cards.

RM

On 9/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, OC Architect said:

So I am not sure how Barkham will work. I think somewhere it said that there are 78 cards in the pack? Is that correct? Since this is a standalone scenario that does not connect with Arkham Horror proper are we getting all player cards as part of this? If so, that doesn't leave much in the way of player cards to make decks and encounter cards.

RM

I’m pretty sure this will be a lot like most standalones, which usually have a few player cards unique to the scenario. The extra cards in this one are probably mostly the investigator pups and their signature cards. The article made it clear that for deck building purposes, you use regular Arkham player cards (with a few exceptions). 😿

Is the animal version of the game related to any Lovecraft story or lore?

28 minutes ago, Lecitadin said:

Is the animal version of the game related to any Lovecraft story or lore?

No, just for fun, but the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath has Cats from Saturn and there is a story about how sacred cats are in Ulthar (though I'm not sure of the story's title... maybe just Ulthar?) Both of these places/creatures appear in the Dream Quest cycle.

Neither of these is related to Barkham Horror though as far as we know. It's just for giggles. I don't recall any actual 'important' dogs in any of his stories at all.

Edited by Soakman

And Red Skull I see

All I will say is this: I am not really a dog person {execept for maybe three breeds {Havanese, Golden Retreivers, and border collies {anything bigger then a Golden Retreiver I am scared of}}}. But after seeing the artwork for this standal,one set, it actually perked my interest in this game line.

I am also not exactly a horror fan, but this makes me want to write fanfic in the universe too

So I will simply now say

*Preorders*

So share some thoughts about Kate Winthpup’s secondary deck building option. I’m curious as to what some of you have sniffed out and compare.

Edited by Mimi61

Has anybody made a list of "off-class" cards that Jacqueline Canine can use? I know its blasphemous to think about, but I am interested ...

I have only found a few Survivor cards, a Stray you-know-what, the General of those things and a card that gave me Deja Vu .

I suppose it would be pushing it to include the "Louisiana Lion" huh?

What about Shortcut? There are two shapes in the artwork that could be .... but I wonder if anyone else agrees?

The mystic card seems like there is a typo on it. The combat icon should be an agility icon since it is an evade, no?

2 hours ago, KennerHugh said:

Has anybody made a list of "off-class" cards that Jacqueline Canine can use? I know its blasphemous to think about, but I am interested ...

I have only found a few Survivor cards, a Stray you-know-what, the General of those things and a card that gave me Deja Vu .

I suppose it would be pushing it to include the "Louisiana Lion" huh?

What about Shortcut? There are two shapes in the artwork that could be .... but I wonder if anyone else agrees?

What about copycat from Winnies deck? Cat burglar or Eu-cat-astrophe?

The bark side of the doom !

At 2:00 am while experiencing some insomnia, it occurred to me that every card released in Dream Eaters has a cat. It’s the expansion symbol!

Edited by Mimi61

We played Barkham on Monday and are playing with a different group and different pooches on Friday. Super fun. As expected, Skids mowed down multiple enemies with his ability and signature card and Leo DeLuca (who is the Louisiana Lion, so kind of borderline...)

Kate was ok, but having to take an action to sniff really slowed down clue getting.

Duke was a howl. Except in an event, we have never experienced before, after a great opening hand, he drew his 3 weaknesses in a row, which rendered him practically catatonic. We had everything under control when the second agenda advanced. That was almost cataclysmic, but after doggedly playing catchup, we prevailed in the end.

Edited by Mimi61
On 9/23/2020 at 11:58 PM, Mimi61 said:

We played Barkham on Monday and are playing with a different group and different pooches on Friday. Super fun. As expected, Skids mowed down multiple enemies with his ability and signature card and Leo DeLuca (who is the Louisiana Lion, so kind of borderline...)

Kate was ok, but having to take an action to sniff really slowed down clue getting.

Duke was a howl. Except in an event, we have never experienced before, after a great opening hand, he drew his 3 weaknesses in a row, which rendered him practically catatonic. We had everything under control when the second agenda advanced. That was almost cataclysmic, but after doggedly playing catchup, we prevailed in the end.

Nice cat and dog puns in that last paragraph.