Weapon Homebrew, Weird, Wacky and References

By Lord Dust, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Most of these Weapons are End Campaign Boss gear that players can loot. More info in each weapon's Role Section.
Guess the references if you want.

Weapon:The Phantom Seven
One Handed Melee: Melee
Or
One Handed Range: Coordination

Dam |Skill |Crit |Range |Encum |Hp |Special
+2 | Melee |2 |Engaged |2 |0 |Linked 6, Pierce 7 ,Superior
+2 |Coordination |2 |Medium |2 |0 |Linked 5, Pierce 6, Superior

From the Unkown Regions this sword has unusual properties. It projects 6 Phantom blades that the user can control with but a thought. This allows a user to make ranged attacks and close range attacks. controlling the phantom swords a akin to one's owns limbs and as such require great coordination to use at range. While engaged the phantom blades follow the Main blade. Last seen the hands of a minor outer rim assassin that failed to kill her target. Now in a moff's collection next to a clone wars era lightsaber.
Role: A weird side quest item for player to find when looting a moff's vault.

Weapon:One Handed Range:Gathering Heavens Cutter
+3 |Melee |2 |Extreme |2 |0 |Blast 5, Superior, Unwieldy 3
Forged in the outer rim by mystic blacksmith. Said to use the sky an anvil, a great storm as a blade, and thunder as a hammer, this sword is said to split the heavens with a storms fury, releasing gust of cutting winds with each swing. It was guarded for generations by an order of mystics. Then one day pirate raiders came and took all they could. Now all that remains of that order are the winds blowing through ruins of their temple and their scattered relics.
Role expand the world and force traditions, Item hunt quest.

Weapon:Two Handed Melee:Arkkes' Fury
1 |Melee |1 |Engaged |4 |0 |Breach 3, Cumbersome 6, Concussive, Knockdown, Linked 2, Superior, Unwieldy 6
Forged by the warrior poet Arkkes to purify her spirit after living as Arkkes the Conqueror. It is said that this great scythe is brutality made manifest.
This weapon deals vehicle damage.
Role: End boss weapon. Defeat the boss to claim.

Weapon: One Handed Melee: Iann Maighstir Mòr
+1 | Melee |1 |Engadged |2 |0 |Superior
Passed down by the grand master of the Sigile Order this one handed sword is exquisite quality.
When using this blade [Triumph] cancels [Dispair][Dispair][Dispair].
When using this blade [Success] cancels [Fail][Fail][Fail].
When using this blade [Advantage] cancels [Disadvantage][Disadvantage][Disadvantage].

Weapon: One Handed Melee: Iann Mòr

+1 | Melee |2 |Engadged |2 |0 |Superior
Passed down by the 12 blade master of the Sigile Order these one handed sword are of exquisite quality.
When using this blade [Success] cancels [Fail][Fail].
When using this blade [Advantage] cancels [Disadvantage][Disadvantage]
Role:This is a double Slot. Big tournament or working their way up the order.

Weapon:Two Handed: Necron War Scythe
1 |Melee |1 |Engaged |6 |0 |Breach X, Cortosis, Cumbersome 6, Concussive, Knockdown, Superior, Unwieldy 6
This Weapons Breach is equal to the wielder's Brawn

Role: Can Opener
Reason: Why not?

Real Role: Ether a warning of an impending Soulless Robot Zombie Apocalypse, or Boss Weapon For said Soulless Robot Zombie Apocalypse Leader.

Edit: Added Cortosis to Necron War Scythe

Edited by Lord Dust
11 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

Passed down by the grand master of the Sigile Order this one handed sword is exquisite quality.
When using this blade [Advantage] cancels [Disadvantage][Disadvantage][Disadvantage].

Passed down by the 12 blade master of the Sigile Order these one handed sword are of exquisite quality.

No. Absolutely not. That's a terrible idea. Even just cancelling the Despair is a bad idea.
I can see allowing it to cancel up to X remaining Threat, or allow the player to spend X Advantage to ignore a Despair, but as written that is way too OP and takes all challenge out of the weapon's use.

Okay. Let's see.

In my evaluations, I'm going to overlook the cancelling abilities, but suggest alternatives.

Iann Maighstir Mor:
+1;1;Superior. Decent. Not a great jump above the other. Is the Superior included in the weapon's damage profile? Given the reduced crit, I think this is pretty good. Maybe increase damage by 1? For abilities, I'd suggest allowing it to cancel X remaining Threat and allow a character to spend X Advantage/flip a DP/once per session to ignore a Despair makes it a decent step above the other and makes it worthwhile for the comparatively low damage/lack of Pierce. Alternatively, similar to the Paired Weapons attachment, have it reduce the Advantage cost to hit with a second IMM wielded in an off-hand.

Iann Mor:
+1;2; Superior, yeah that looks pretty good. Is the Superior included in the weapon's damage profile? This is a pretty good weapon without being way better than anything else. Changing it to cancel X remaining Threat works pretty well and makes it a worthwhile weapon for the comparatively low damage/lack of Pierce.

Alternatively, maybe link the abilities to Morality score? I don't know anything about this Force tradition though, so might not fit. (something like, if Morality >70, cancel 1 Threat. If Morality >80, cancel 1 additional Threat [2 total]. If Morality >90, cancel 1 additional Threat [3 total]).

Or

From the Unkown Regions this sword has unusual properties. It projects 6 Phantom blades that the user can control with but a thought. This allows a user to make ranged attacks and close range attacks. controlling the phantom swords a akin to one's owns limbs and as such require great coordination to use at range. While engaged the phantom blades follow the Main blade. Last seen the hands of a minor outer rim assassin that failed to kill her target. Now in a moff's collection next to a clone wars era lightsaber.

Shouldn't the ranged profile be Ranged (Light)?

Aside from the ludicrous Linked, this looks pretty good. Maybe reduce Pierce to 5 each, and perhaps change Linked to Auto-fire (at least for the ranged profile). This requires a difficulty increase, which is of debatable benefit/relevance here, but I think that an attempt to target with a single blade is going to be easier than an attempt to target with several at once.

Forged in the outer rim by mystic blacksmith. Said to use the sky an anvil, a great storm as a blade, and thunder as a hammer, this sword is said to split the heavens with a storms fury, releasing gust of cutting winds with each swing. It was guarded for generations by an order of mystics. Then one day pirate raiders came and took all they could. Now all that remains of that order are the winds blowing through ruins of their temple and their scattered relics.

Maybe drop Superior and add Cumbersome 3. Probably also increase the crit to 3 or 4 as a crit of 2 is generally reserved for bladed weapons that can really cut you up. I don't know if this is what you were going for, but reminds me of Mjolnir.*
Melee difficulty is always Average, so Extreme range Melee seems OP. I'd suggest giving it two profiles: Ranged, and Melee. For Melee, it uses Melee with a range of Engaged. For Ranged, it uses Discipline with a range of Extreme and is either additive with Willpower instead of Brawn or has a set damage.

*If it is actually a bladed weapon, then have a crit of 2 for the Melee profile and a crit of 4 for the ranged profile.

1 |Melee |1 |Engaged |4 |0 |Breach 3, Cumbersome 6, Concussive, Knockdown, Linked 2, Superior, Unwieldy 6
Forged by the warrior poet Arkkes to purify her spirit after living as Arkkes the Conqueror. It is said that this great scythe is brutality made manifest.

I would not suggest Planetary-scale damage. With typical melee difficulty of Average, any decently skilled character is going to one-hit-KO pretty much any adversary, pretty much every time. (takes a longer look at the statblock...) Its saving grace in that regard is the ludicrously high Cumbersome and Unwieldy (I assume the effects stack!) which makes it literally Impossible for almost all characters to wield it. However, for those that can, it's incredibly damaging. It's also important to note that anyone strong enough to wield it is going to also have a really good dice pool. So as difficulty goes down, ability goes up simultaneously. This has an extremely punishing effect, as you lose what keeps the weapon from being ludicrously OP. With most Cumbersome Melee weapons, the difference isn't that stark because it is only one point of Brawn above the average and a dedicated Melee fighter is very likely to have that extra point in Brawn anyway.

I'd suggest adjusting the damage to personal scale. Maybe to +10. Other than that, increase Encumbrance to 6 and FOR THE LOVE OF BABY YODA, DROP LINKED.

1 |Melee |1 |Engaged |6 |0 |Breach X, Cortosis, Cumbersome 6, Concussive, Knockdown, Superior, Unwieldy 6
Real Role: Ether a warning of an impending Soulless Robot Zombie Apocalypse, or Boss Weapon For said Soulless Robot Zombie Apocalypse Leader.

O_O What sort of cans are you opening!?

Again with the Planetary-scale. Same objection to the above.

I don't think this is different enough from Arkkes Fury, and they both seem like you just went for "BIG STATS!" rather than making them unique and interesting. The earlier ones had something going for them in that regard (especially the phantom seven), but these don't really.

I'd suggest completely reevaluating these two, and making them more reasonable as an actual, usable weapon than just "big dangerous." When you make something too powerful, my eyes just sort of glaze over (I admit others might not feel the same). Like watching Superman battle Darkseid, vs. Batman fighting Mr. Freeze.

This is the main reason I like Star Wars so much more than superheroes (and Marvel more than DC). Virtually none of the characters are incredibly superhuman (and those that are, like Durge and some portrayals of Vader, I tend to dislike) and are just normal [species], some with augmentative powers or equipment.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
38 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Aside from the ludicrous Linked, this looks pretty good. Maybe reduce Pierce to 5 each, and perhaps change Linked to Auto-fire (at least for the ranged profile). This requires a difficulty increase, which is of debatable benefit/relevance here, but I think that an attempt to target with a single blade is going to be easier than an attempt to target with several at once.

On second thought, Pierce 5 is enough to ignore most opponents' soak. This in conjunction with Linked is extremely potent, as the main limitation of Linked or Auto-fire is the repeated application of Soak. Perhaps push this down to Pierce 3, as average base damage is probably going to be somewhere around 6, basically giving the weapon an adjusted base damage of 9.

So... did an Exalted player really miss playing a Dawn Solar or something?

5 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:
16 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

No. Absolutely not. That's a terrible idea. Even just cancelling the Despair is a bad idea.
I can see allowing it to cancel up to X remaining Threat, or allow the player to spend X Advantage to ignore a Despair, but as written that is way too OP and takes all challenge out of the weapon's use.

Okay. Let's see.

In my evaluations, I'm going to overlook the cancelling abilities, but suggest alternatives.

Iann Maighstir Mor:
+1;1;Superior. Decent. Not a great jump above the other. Is the Superior included in the weapon's damage profile? Given the reduced crit, I think this is pretty good. Maybe increase damage by 1? For abilities, I'd suggest allowing it to cancel X remaining Threat and allow a character to spend X Advantage/flip a DP/once per session to ignore a Despair makes it a decent step above the other and makes it worthwhile for the comparatively low damage/lack of Pierce. Alternatively, similar to the Paired Weapons attachment, have it reduce the Advantage cost to hit with a second IMM wielded in an off-hand.

Iann Mor:
+1;2; Superior, yeah that looks pretty good. Is the Superior included in the weapon's damage profile? This is a pretty good weapon without being way better than anything else. Changing it to cancel X remaining Threat works pretty well and makes it a worthwhile weapon for the comparatively low damage/lack of Pierce.

Alternatively, maybe link the abilities to Morality score? I don't know anything about this Force tradition though, so might not fit. (something like, if Morality >70, cancel 1 Threat. If Morality >80, cancel 1 additional Threat [2 total]. If Morality >90, cancel 1 additional Threat [3 total]).

You right, these are strong as PC gear. The original thought was to have them as strong defensive weapons against the party. I probably should make the negating ability as an NPC talent.
Thank you.

The Superior is already factored in.

Homebrew Back Story. Rough edit.

The Sigle Order is a ancient society of non force using duelist hailing from the mid rim. Started as a way for feuding war lords to settle disputes, it became one of the primer dueling order in the republic. Every three solar cycles the would invite the Jedi order to participate in their competitions. The win rate slightly favors the Grand Master, Jedi Knights, the Order Masters. The battles are always close. They have an open invitation for jedi to show up to be battled in their tournaments. The Empire probably has some people watching them, maybe a few plants in the tournaments. It is a good way to test their jedi hunters.Founded on the planet of Opus Es'pad'a by a group of warlords to settle disputes with out the total destruction of their kingdoms, the Sigle order evolved in to a house of planetary governance before again changing in to a way to obtain honor based on martial skill. A thousand years before the fall of the Republic The order had proliferated through most of the inner rim and making inroads in tho the core systems.The form of the Order at this point was that of highly competitive social clubs dueling for honor. Every three solar rotations of Opus Es'pad'a all chapters convene on reigning champion for tournaments and games of honor. In an early tournament a jedi team infiltrated a tournament to investigate a member. These jedi was found out and forced to duel the 12 Masters. 7 masters were defeated.Ever sense there has been a rivalry between the Order and the Order. Jedi go to test their skills and gain combat experience, Ohrt duelist go to claim honor of beating a jedi. The tournaments are now open to all challengers. The fall of the republic has done little to change the Order of the Sigle, except remove their favored opponent. In Solar Cycle 2343 the Crown Fall happened when Maric the Red Handed claimed soul ruler ship of the Order of the Sigle and Opus Es'pad'a through battle challenges and honor duels. His first act was to divorce the Order from Planetary Governance. This has since been considered a wise move.
[/spoiler

Or

Shouldn't the ranged profile be Ranged (Light)?

I am tinkering with skill use by using Coordination. The high pierce is an issue of special rules and simple rules. I am trying to illustrate multiple hits striking and each being more effective. Not sure how to do that.

I would appreciate any ideas on achieving that effect.

I considered Auto Fire, but its ability to exceed 7 hits did not feel right. Linked allows a max number of hits.

Maybe drop Superior and add Cumbersome 3. Probably also increase the crit to 3 or 4 as a crit of 2 is generally reserved for bladed weapons that can really cut you up. I don't know if this is what you were going for, but reminds me of Mjolnir.*
Melee difficulty is always Average, so Extreme range Melee seems OP. I'd suggest giving it two profiles: Ranged, and Melee. For Melee, it uses Melee with a range of Engaged. For Ranged, it uses Discipline with a range of Extreme and is either additive with Willpower instead of Brawn or has a set damage.

*If it is actually a bladed weapon, then have a crit of 2 for the Melee profile and a crit of 4 for the ranged profile.

This is based off the grass cutting sword longsword of Japaneses myth. Cutting winds.
I was under the impression that all ranged weapons were affected by range modifiers, so this should be a sniper rifle that uses melee instead of range heavy.

I would not suggest Planetary-scale damage. With typical melee difficulty of Average, any decently skilled character is going to one-hit-KO pretty much any adversary, pretty much every time. (takes a longer look at the statblock...) Its saving grace in that regard is the ludicrously high Cumbersome and Unwieldy (I assume the effects stack!) which makes it literally Impossible for almost all characters to wield it. However, for those that can, it's incredibly damaging. It's also important to note that anyone strong enough to wield it is going to also have a really good dice pool. So as difficulty goes down, ability goes up simultaneously. This has an extremely punishing effect, as you lose what keeps the weapon from being ludicrously OP. With most Cumbersome Melee weapons, the difference isn't that stark because it is only one point of Brawn above the average and a dedicated Melee fighter is very likely to have that extra point in Brawn anyway.

I'd suggest adjusting the damage to personal scale. Maybe to +10. Other than that, increase Encumbrance to 6 and FOR THE LOVE OF BABY YODA, DROP LINKED.

This is me going crazy, I admit that. Wanted a berserker-like weapon. The penalty of Cumbersome and Unwieldy do stack.

What would be more fitting stats for Cumbersome and Unwieldy 6?

Again with the Planetary-scale. Same objection to the above.

I don't think this is different enough from Arkkes Fury, and they both seem like you just went for "BIG STATS!" rather than making them unique and interesting. The earlier ones had something going for them in that regard (especially the phantom seven), but these don't really.

I'd suggest completely reevaluating these two, and making them more reasonable as an actual, usable weapon than just "big dangerous." When you make something too powerful, my eyes just sort of glaze over (I admit others might not feel the same). Like watching Superman battle Darkseid, vs. Batman fighting Mr. Freeze.

This is the main reason I like Star Wars so much more than superheroes (and Marvel more than DC). Virtually none of the characters are incredibly superhuman (and those that are, like Durge and some portrayals of Vader, I tend to dislike) and are just normal [species], some with augmentative powers or equipment.

Tanks.

Was posting the scythe above and remembered that Fantasy Flight made Dark Heresy. Necron War Scythes gut tanks in that.
Maybe bump the Cumbersome and Unwieldy to 7?
Not sure.

5 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

So... did an Exalted player really miss playing a Dawn Solar or something?

What is Exalted?

Thank you for reading.

44 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

What is Exalted?

It's a fantasy RPG from, originally, White Wolf, where the PCs are Exalted beings who have literally been granted the power of literal gods, and where combat specialised characters can and do take on the equivalent of a Star Destroyer in hand to hand combat.

It's a bit of a weird mash-up of Tanith Lee/Jack Vance style fantasy with Dragon Balls style action.

1 hour ago, Lord Dust said:

You right, these are strong as PC gear. The original thought was to have them as strong defensive weapons against the party. I probably should make the negating ability as an NPC talent.
Thank you.

Homebrew Back Story. Rough edit.

The Sigle Order is a ancient society of non force using duelist hailing from the mid rim. Started as a way for feuding war lords to settle disputes, it became one of the primer dueling order in the republic. Every three solar cycles the would invite the Jedi order to participate in their competitions. The win rate slightly favors the Grand Master, Jedi Knights, the Order Masters. The battles are always close. They have an open invitation for jedi to show up to be battled in their tournaments. The Empire probably has some people watching them, maybe a few plants in the tournaments. It is a good way to test their jedi hunters.Founded on the planet of Opus Es'pad'a by a group of warlords to settle disputes with out the total destruction of their kingdoms, the Sigle order evolved in to a house of planetary governance before again changing in to a way to obtain honor based on martial skill. A thousand years before the fall of the Republic The order had proliferated through most of the inner rim and making inroads in tho the core systems.The form of the Order at this point was that of highly competitive social clubs dueling for honor. Every three solar rotations of Opus Es'pad'a all chapters convene on reigning champion for tournaments and games of honor. In an early tournament a jedi team infiltrated a tournament to investigate a member. These jedi was found out and forced to duel the 12 Masters. 7 masters were defeated.Ever sense there has been a rivalry between the Order and the Order. Jedi go to test their skills and gain combat experience, Ohrt duelist go to claim honor of beating a jedi. The tournaments are now open to all challengers. The fall of the republic has done little to change the Order of the Sigle, except remove their favored opponent. In Solar Cycle 2343 the Crown Fall happened when Maric the Red Handed claimed soul ruler ship of the Order of the Sigle and Opus Es'pad'a through battle challenges and honor duels. His first act was to divorce the Order from Planetary Governance. This has since been considered a wise move.
[/spoiler

I am tinkering with skill use by using Coordination. The high pierce is an issue of special rules and simple rules. I am trying to illustrate multiple hits striking and each being more effective. Not sure how to do that.

I considered Auto Fire, but its ability to exceed 7 hits did not feel right. Linked allows a max number of hits.

This is based off the grass cutting sword longsword of Japaneses myth. Cutting winds.
I was under the impression that all ranged weapons were affected by range modifiers, so this should be a sniper rifle that uses melee instead of range heavy.

This is me going crazy, I admit that. Wanted a berserker-like weapon. The penalty of Cumbersome and Unwieldy do stack.

Tanks.

Was posting the scythe above and remembered that Fantasy Flight made Dark Heresy. Necron War Scythes gut tanks in that.
Not sure.

What is Exalted?

Thank you for reading.

For future reference, using more than one spoiler box gets a bit broken, and you have to use the spoiler box at the bottom of your post. Anything below it gets caught up in it too (no idea why).

Thank you.

Wow. Those swords are really light on damage then. If you nerf the ability to cancel (which I strongly suggest, even if you have it as a custom NPC talent/ability. It's almost cheating), then I'd suggest boosting damage by 1.

It would be an option to just say "add 1 to each subsequent hit's damage, stacking" if you were to drop Pierce enough (probably to 0). I think better and simpler to have low-medium Pierce (1-3) that applies to each hit.

It takes 14 advantage to get more than 7 total hits, and you still have to hit the target in the first place. That's a lot of dice and a very hot roll.

Okay, completely different then. :D
With the exception of the crit and Cumbersome, my other suggestions still go.

If it uses Melee, it's a Melee weapon. Attacks with the Melee skill are always Average.

I think you should probably rewrite the whole thing and make it a bit more practical. For a beserker-like weapon, Vibro-ax with an Augmented Vibro-motor should get the job done without being way overkill.

Not sure.

I think this, like the other, should be greatly nerfed. Increasing Cumbersome/Unwieldy to something unattainable without Cybernetics seems a bit much, and if that's what it takes to balance the weapon the weapon isn't balanced. It also doesn't solve the problem of encouraging min-max gameplay and making it such that anyone who can wield it is going to have a ludicrously good pool.

I really don't think this fits Star Wars, but if you want it, go ahead.

There's a big problem with building personal-wielded weapons at planetary-scale in that who is a personal-scale character with a melee weapon going to fight most often? Other personal-scale characters, who will be instantly one-hit-KO'd.

Or

+2 | Melee |2 |Engaged |2 |0 |Linked 6, Pierce 1 ,Superior
+2 |Coordination |2 |Medium |2 |0 |Linked 5, Pierce 1, Superior
Special: Each consecutive hit in one round increases the Pierce value by 1.

This work better?
I am afraid of Jury Rig being used on this.

19 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

This one is a ranged weapon. There is a skill substation of Range Light to Melee, but range modifiers apply.

Core: Actions: Preform a Combat Check: Assemble a dice Pool.

Skill substitutions are normally the realm of talents or implants.

The rest I need to take a deeper look at.

Thank you for your help.

29 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

Or

+2 | Melee |2 |Engaged |2 |0 |Linked 6, Pierce 1 ,Superior
+2 |Coordination |2 |Medium |2 |0 |Linked 5, Pierce 1, Superior
Special: Each consecutive hit in one round increases the Pierce value by 1.

This work better?
I am afraid of Jury Rig being used on this.

Yes, this works better. Concern about Jury Rigged is valid, so I guess that makes Linked a better option.

30 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

This one is a ranged weapon. There is a skill substation of Range Light to Melee, but range modifiers apply.

Core: Actions: Preform a Combat Check: Assemble a dice Pool.

Skill substitutions are normally the realm of talents or implants.

Okay, this is a bit murky as you're doing something that is pretty much unheard of. I don't think there are any RAW Melee weapons with a range longer than Short, much less any that count as a ranged attack.

Read the sidebar on page 211 of the FaD CRB, "Ranged Attacks and Melee Attacks" and tell me what you think. I've pretty much thrown up my hands about it because while it makes some sense to use Melee for both, it doesn't fit with what already exists. I have never seen a ranged weapon use Melee, Brawl, or Lightsaber, and I have never seen a melee weapon use Ranged (Light), Ranged (Heavy), or Gunnery, so this is a really wacky way to do things.

And is it a ranged attack at Engaged range? Or does it now become Melee? Does it key off of Ranged or Melee defense? Do the Ranged attack modifiers apply when engaged with the target? What about Side Step vs. Defensive Stance?

The Weapon is ranged for all abilities and modifiers. In engaged range apply added difficulty. All attacks resolve on range defense. Given there is no pre-listed modifier for increased difficulty at engaged with a melee weapon, but as a one handed weapon I believe the range light modifier is appropriate.

Should I add the line "This weapon is considered Range (Light) for all talents, abilities, and modifiers."?

To summarize the difficulty checks to hit:
Engaged: Average
Short: Easy
Medium: Average
Long: Hard
Extreme: Daunting

The roll the player would use is Attribute: Brawn, Skill: Melee.

Weapon:Two Handed: Repulsor Disk Capture Gun
1 |Range(Heavy) |6 |Medium |4 |3 |Auto-Fire, Ensnare 1
2 |Range(Heavy) |5 |Medium |4 |0 |Stun 1
When firing this weapon the user must pick one of the two profiles.
This weapon's Ensnare value increases by 1 for each consecutive attack ageist a single target.

This weapon's Stun value increases by the number of rounds that a target has remaining immobilized from this weapons Ensnare quality.

22 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

The Weapon is ranged for all abilities and modifiers. In engaged range apply added difficulty. All attacks resolve on range defense. Given there is no pre-listed modifier for increased difficulty at engaged with a melee weapon, but as a one handed weapon I believe the range light modifier is appropriate.

Should I add the line "This weapon is considered Range (Light) for all talents, abilities, and modifiers."?

To summarize the difficulty checks to hit:
Engaged: Average
Short: Easy
Medium: Average
Long: Hard
Extreme: Daunting

The roll the player would use is Attribute: Brawn, Skill: Melee.

Yeah, I guess that works okay. Just seems a bit odd to me.

11 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

Weapon:Two Handed: Repulsor Disk Capture Gun
1 |Range(Heavy) |6 |Medium |4 |3 |Auto-Fire, Ensnare 1
2 |Range(Heavy) |5 |Medium |4 |0 |Stun 1
When firing this weapon the user must pick one of the two profiles.
This weapon's Ensnare value increases by 1 for each consecutive attack ageist a single target.
This weapon's Stun value increases by the number of rounds that a target has remaining immobilized from this weapons Ensnare quality.

By "consecutive attack" do you mean consecutive attack, as in Ranged (Heavy) check, or successful hit?

This is an interesting concept, but it is fairly reliant on several attacks in succession, and that's going to be very circumstantial.
You also list the second profile as having 0 HP. If this is just because it was listed above, you should list "-" in each spot where the information is the same.

I'd suggest dropping the abilities and changing the profile to:

When firing this weapon, the user must pick one of the two profiles:
1; Ranged (Heavy); 6; Medium; 4; 3; Auto-Fire, Ensnare 1
2; - ; 5; - ; -; -; Stun 3

And add the ability:
If Ensnare is triggered on the initial attack, each subsequent hit triggered with Auto-Fire increases the duration by 1 (so with 3 additional hits, that would be 4 rounds of Ensnare).

Thank you for spotting consecutive attacks vs hits. It should be hits.

Thank you for telling me how to format better.

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

If Ensnare is triggered on the initial attack, each subsequent hit triggered with Auto-Fire increases the duration by 1 (so with 3 additional hits, that would be 4 rounds of Ensnare)

This makes the weapon less effective vs mobs, and adds duration when hitting other targets?

Why is the Stun value a flat 3?

5 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

This makes the weapon less effective vs mobs, and adds duration when hitting other targets?

Yeah, it should be subsequent hits against the same target , I missed that clause.

What do you mean about mobs? This isn't really the weapon for that. Even the way you wrote it, it's best when focusing on a single target.

5 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

Why is the Stun value a flat 3?

Simplification, and trying to make the weapon work in one attack (well, one attack per profile), but I misunderstood the ability you wrote for it. I thought you were saying how many rounds the target has remained immobilized, not how many rounds the target will be immobilized. The wording is a bit confusing.

Try:
If an attack with this weapon has successfully Ensnared a target, this weapon's Stun rating increases against that target by the number of rounds remaining to the Immobilization effect.

Probably also add the Stun Damage quality to the weapon? And I'd still suggest buffing it to Stun 2, but it isn't entirely necessary.

And my guess is that the answer here is yes, but is your intention that it would stack if the target was targeted twice in succession with Ensnare (and multiple hits), potentially resulting in a very high Stun rating? There is also an issue in that one character could attack with the repulsor disk for Ensnare 2, and then another character could throw a stun net (Ensnare 6) on them, and now you've got Stun 8 (2-1 round elapsed+6+1 from Stun rating=8). So perhaps it needs a clause that it only works from Ensnare triggered by the weapon, but then does the Ensnare from the weapon expire first, or last, or in order?

One way to account for that would be to say that Ensnare from the repulsor disk does not stack with Ensnare from other weapons, but that the target must escape from the other weapon before trying to escape from the repulsor disk. This means that while time would still elapse for the repulsor disk, the other Ensnare weapon would contribute by preventing the target from breaking out. Further, it would take up at least two of the target's actions to escape. This is questionable tactically, proving that there's a reason the RAW is that duration is additive.
I think this is the simplest solution, even if it is a bit counter-RAW. It at least is easy to remember.

Another option that sticks with the RAW is to simply say that Ensnare from this weapon always expires first. As per RAW, when the target attempts the check to get out, he would escape all sources of Ensnare.

The weapon already had a clause limiting its Stun to its own Ensnare.

Thank you for providing a better written rule.

The way the works in my head is the gun is auto fired to stack the capture disk on the target. each disk adheres to the target increasing the Ensnare quality. On the last hit the Ensnare quality is triggered immobilizing the target. Next round the target is tazed and each capture disk helps.

Or it can be used to immobilized several targets temporally.

This weapon can be combined with Jury Rig for better effect.

So the lightsaber debate gave me some ideas.

Strum Crystal
Dam|Crit |Hp |Special
6 |2 |2 |Breach 1, Stun 1, Sunder, Unwieldy 3
Additional Modifications
1x Crit -1, 2x +1 Damage, 3x Unwieldy -1
Special Rules
If the wielder has a morality of less than 30 the Strain value increases by 2.
Lore
Occasionally vains of lightsaber crystals are struck by lighting. This normally destroys the crystals, but rarely a crystal transmutes in to something more. The crystal learns the storm fury, and is most powerful in the hands of those who surrender to it. Attempts to produced these crystals in Imperial labs have all failed.
Rarity 9

Raxian Crystal
Dam|Crit |Hp |Special
6 |3 |3 |Breach 1, Burn 3, Sunder
Additional Modifications
2x Crit -1, 4x +1 Damage, 2x +1 Breach, 2x +1 Burn
Special Rules
If this weapon deals damage to a vehicle, reduce its armor by 1.
Lore
Found in the deepest and most lethal parts of Raxus Prime, these crystals are very effective against vehicles.
Rarety 10

1 hour ago, Lord Dust said:

Special Rules
If the wielder has a morality of less than 30 the Strain value increases by 2.

Do you mean "Stun rating"?

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Do you mean "Stun rating"?

Yes. thank you for spotting that.

I came up with this , mostly as a bit of fluff and fun for The Long Arm of the Hutt adventure...
sarlaac-tooth-dagger.png

Cool. How did you get the boarder/layout?

Healer's Stone
Dam|Crit |Hp |Special
0 |- |2 |Stun Damage
Additional Modifications
1x When using Heal or Protect, add [Light plip] to the check. 2x When wounds are restored to the user, increase the number of wounds by 1. 1x Talent Healing Trance.
Special Rules
When using Heal or Protect, add [Light plip] to the check. If the users Morality is 70+ add [Light plip][Light plip] instead.
Lightsabers with this crystal ignore soak.
This is a lightsaber crystal
Lore
Used by the Orders most dedicated healers, These Adagean crystals have become commonly know as Healer's Stones. Most Jedi view the crystals as little worth in combat, but that is rarely an issue for those who heal.
Rarety 7

10 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

Healer's Stone
Dam|Crit |Hp |Special
0 |- |2 |Stun Damage
Additional Modifications
1x When using Heal or Protect, add [Light plip] to the check. 2x When wounds are restored to the user, increase the number of wounds by 1. 1x Talent Healing Trance.
Special Rules
When using Heal or Protect, add [Light plip] to the check. If the users Morality is 70+ add [Light plip][Light plip] instead.
Lightsabers with this crystal ignore soak.
This is a lightsaber crystal
Lore
Used by the Orders most dedicated healers, These Adagean crystals have become commonly know as Healer's Stones. Most Jedi view the crystals as little worth in combat, but that is rarely an issue for those who heal.
Rarety 7

If it ignores Soak, it should have the Breach 1 quality. Why 0 damage? That makes Breach pretty pointless. I'd suggest changing it to 5; 2; Breach 1, Stun Damage.

For the mod options, I would include 2 Increase Damage by 1 Mods in place of the additional light pip mod, as 3 free pips is overpowered, in my opinion.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:42 AM, Kainrath said:

I came up with this , mostly as a bit of fluff and fun for The Long Arm of the Hutt adventure...
sarlaac-tooth-dagger.png

Why is a dagger encumbrance 3? that is fecking huuuuge

35 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I have no idea, haha. I’ll fix that. Thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Because that dagger is the size of an halberd for wookies. 😁