The Investigator Decks

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

As long as their "shipping soon" notifications are going out, we should have a place to discuss them. From their pre-order pages on Asmodee.com (man the art in this series!):

ahc48-pon1500.png Arkham Horror LCG: Nathaniel Cho Investigator Starter Deck ahc50-pon1500.png Arkham Horror LCG: Winifred Habbamock Investigator Starter Deck Arkham Horror LCG: Stella Clark Investigator Starter Deck

Jacqueline and Harvey's have the prettiest art, though Stella's house in the mist is nice too. Not a fan of the pieces they chose for Nacho. Winifred's art is all about her which is fitting.

Edited by Villefere

Can i get these outside the US?

I think so. As long as you preorder

Looking forward to all of these decks. They all look like they are fun with some cool new cards within.

RM

Wow. Winnie’s art is making my hair stream out behind me just looking at it!

9 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Wow. Winnie’s art is making my hair stream out behind me just looking at it!

Yeah, I'd watch a movie about Winnie.

6 hours ago, Duciris said:

Yeah, I'd watch a movie about Winnie.

Me too. I’ll bring the popcorn and you bring the Trader Joe’s Penguin gummies.

Which investigators is everyone looking forward to play first, and which campaign will you play them in?

for me, it’s Nathaniel and Winnifred and I’m thinking I’ll play Forgotten Age.

I will probably play Jacqueline through all the campaigns before playing anyone else. I really dont like rogues but Winnie is tempting me to revisit the class.

Even before the art, it was always going to be Stella.

Now seeing the art, knowing her story, knowing her cards - absolutely Stella. She might end up joining Carolyn and Patrice as one of my favourite investigators.

The only deck I am not too keen on is the Nathaniel deck so I am looking forward to the other four. If I had to choose though I think Stella is on top of my list as I like her backstory. I might play Stella or Jacqueline first though as I have been itching to play Rita through a campaign. Will probably run one or both through Return to Night of the Zealot or possibly Dream Eaters Waking Nightmare scenario.

RM

In terms of excitement for me it’s:

1. Nathaniel

2. Jacqueline

3. Harvey

4. Winnie

5. Stella

for my wife it’s:

1. Stella and Jacqueline

2. Winnie

3. Nathaniel

4. Harvey

(though she wants to play all of them lol, she said if I ask tomorrow it may be a different order lol)

EDIT: I fixed it, sorry Harvey :(

Edited by Sooner535
1 hour ago, Sooner535 said:

3. Nathaniel

4. Nathaniel

Wow, she must hate Harvey!

For me it's not so much one investigator I'm excited about, but all the new cards. Someone mentioned when these were announced that it was the largest influx of cards since the core set, and that's crazy to think about.

What's even crazier is that it's actually a larger influx of cards than the core set. There were 14 cards per class in the core set, which would have made a total of 28 cards if we had gotten a full play set of all of them. The Investigator Decks contain 56 cards (not counting investigator, signature, and weakness), or 23 unique cards, assuming they provide a full play set. If all of these cards are new or new versions of old cards, that's 50% more new cards than when the game was introduced.

New cards create new archetypes. When the core set launched, it was interesting to look over the cards for each class and see the patterns emerge; to see the common thread that bound the class together. With these new cards it will be that same experience again, seeing synergies with new possibilities, and not only how they fit into old archetypes, but the completely new avenues of play they open up.

I'm very excited to see them.

I think Jacqueline and Winnifred are the ones I'll probably play first, but I'm looking forward to trying them all out. Harvey looks least interesting to me, though.

I'd say

1. Winnifred. I wanted a skill-focused all or nothing rogue for a while. I've tried building that deck with Jenny before, she seems to be better at this.

2. Jacqueline Fine, probably. I like mystics, there's nice cards, I don't think she's quite my playstyle.

3. Nathaniel. Seems fun and different for a guardian.

4. Stella. Never been a fan of the "fail tests and win anyway" approach to survivors.

5. Harvey. I don't know, he just seems the least interesting. I don't really see anything here that seekers couldn't do before. Also his weakness is brutal and kind of seems to screw over his entire playstyle.

Edited by Eldan985
11 hours ago, Sooner535 said:

3. Nathaniel

4. Nathaniel

9 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

Wow, she must hate Harvey!

For me it's not so much one investigator I'm excited about, but all the new cards. Someone mentioned when these were announced that it was the largest influx of cards since the core set, and that's crazy to think about.

What's even crazier is that it's actually a larger influx of cards than the core set. There were 14 cards per class in the core set, which would have made a total of 28 cards if we had gotten a full play set of all of them. The Investigator Decks contain 56 cards (not counting investigator, signature, and weakness), or 23 unique cards, assuming they provide a full play set. If all of these cards are new or new versions of old cards, that's 50% more new cards than when the game was introduced.

New cards create new archetypes. When the core set launched, it was interesting to look over the cards for each class and see the patterns emerge; to see the common thread that bound the class together. With these new cards it will be that same experience again, seeing synergies with new possibilities, and not only how they fit into old archetypes, but the completely new avenues of play they open up.

I'm very excited to see them.

I was thinking the same thing about poor Harvey!

I think it's supposed to be comparable to a full cycle's worth of player cards all at once. That said, no cycle has enough level 0 cards throughout to make 5 complete starter decks!

Can't wait. Overload.

Well... I came back and noticed I put Nathaniel 2x on her list and she said Harvey was last 😕 my bad haha, still poor Harvey though.... I already have a Nathaniel deck planned out (holding 10 spaces open for good cards he brings) and I think the next deck I’ll look for is actually Harvey’s, I think he could be an interesting support based seeker? Focusing on holding cards for other’s skill tests and his own? Idk just an idea. Anyone already building and planning decks as well? Would be fun to share what we have planned with eachother?

I'm so hyped for these decks !

My initial plan was to play them once as they are before tweaking them or using their cards elsewhere. I'll hold up to this plan except for Wini : the cards she gets are nice but don't quite fit her playstyle.

So here is my todo list :

1. Wini "Many skills, Big Money" through Return to TFA

2. Stella "as is" through the Web of Dreams

3. Harvey "as is" and Nathaniel "as is" (two-handed solo) through the Dream-Quest or TCU

4. Jacqueline "as is" through Return to Carcosa

5. Skids "Tricks and Tactics" (so that I can play the cards Wini brings up) through Return to Dunwich

That has the potential to keep me busy for a month or more !

I think I answered this somewhere else, but what the hey. But first, I will jump on the "Harvey? Meh." bandwagon. He is dead last for my interests. Ranking the rest is actually really difficult.

1. Nathaniel - Honestly probably not the most interesting or complex, but I'm not a fan of general guardian loadouts with the arm-up-and-set-out playstyle. This will get me playing guardian. I like having more flex, and less time spent playing assets in general, so Nathaniel looks interesting. I like events, even if they're not always good investments. My biggest issue is going to be getting mad because I can't find his gloves.

2. Wini - I just love rogues. I have been avoiding them because I spent a lot of time as Sef for a while, and still consider her my #1 investigator. I'll be excited to play a rogue that can really bank on that succeed by 2 mechanic. Though I don't play on hard, I can't decide if Wini is going to be terrible on hard, or extra good on hard.

3. Jacqueline - The only reason why is because her ability is so wild. I may save her for the Innsmouth campaign though because Jacqueline + Blessing and Curse tokens sounds like a freaking blast.

4. Stella - I love LOVE Stella, but I've played way too many survivors lately. They are beastly and I don't see Stella being any less of a performer. They. Get. Stuff. Done.

5. Who was that last one? Oh yeah... Harvey. I just don't care about having ridiculous card draw. As the go-to old white professor dude, I'm already not that into him. There's enough of that in Lovecraft. I understand it's kind of a necessity, but Norman is way more interesting. I'd also like to see George Barnaby. I dunno, I'm just shruggy-shoulders about him as both a character and a playstyle. The only time I see being very happy to have him is in The City of Archives.

We are waiting to play RttFA with these guys.

When they were announced, my first inclination was to play Harvey, because I am usually the seeker in the group. But after the release of Patrice, and some seriously good deck building advice from Allonym, I have played survivors more and more. I adore Patrice. I still can’t get my husband to try her, because he is a Guardian/Rogue guy, but she has changed me. And I love how Stella is built to capitalize on the whole Survivor “create success out of failure” idea. She will be very fun. She will be delivering messages deep into the jungle. “Neither rain nor snow, nor poisonous arrow...”

Otherwise, I don’t have a huge order preference. I’m just excited to take them all out for a spin.

Edited by Mimi61

I have to admit that finding the time to get this game to the table has been difficult due to time restraints.

The preconstructed decks for Marvel Champions has allowed me to play it more often.

I'm very excited to see these decks and I hope we get more.

On 8/19/2020 at 4:20 PM, Soakman said:

1. Nathaniel - Honestly probably not the most interesting or complex, but I'm not a fan of general guardian loadouts with the arm-up-and-set-out playstyle. This will get me playing guardian. I like having more flex, and less time spent playing assets in general, so Nathaniel looks interesting. I like events, even if they're not always good investments. My biggest issue is going to be getting mad because I can't find his gloves.

I agree! I can't wait to make a Nathaniel deck. I haven't played a guardian since Dunwich was new. You'll want to make sure that at least one Prepared for the Worst is in your deck, and fingers crossed it will show up early and often.

5 minutes ago, MGlas1 said:

I agree! I can't wait to make a Nathaniel deck. I haven't played a guardian since Dunwich was new. You'll want to make sure that at least one Prepared for the Worst is in your deck, and fingers crossed it will show up early and often.

A Tetsuo Mori or two might be useful too. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the pre-made deck, or switch it up a bit.

20 minutes ago, Soakman said:

A Tetsuo Mori or two might be useful too. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the pre-made deck, or switch it up a bit.

Oh I'm definitely going to do a whole campaign with 2+ investigator decks - no extra cards! I gotta know if it's reasonable to hand off some of these so we can remote play.