So.. game dead ?

By gmcc, in Mansions of Madness

On 9/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, Merry Prankster said:

Funny thing about those old bases that came with the monsters, I cut off the pins and glued them to pennys CA. That way, they didn't cover up as much of the board/tiles. The gentleman who introduced me to MOM glued his to clear stands.

I know right, who would possibly use those terrible bases. There isn't even enough space on the tiles for them.

pic5623769.jpg

Edited by Bucho

We love the clear bases idea. That way you can see the floors, carpets, tiles Etc. We're eyeballing it as our winter project, we just have to finish the JIME figures first. Also have to find a place to source the clear bases. We have an awesome game store close to us, but there just doesn't seem to be clear bases that are suitable like the ones in the picture above.

Edited by doubletapdaddy
2 hours ago, doubletapdaddy said:

We have an awesome game store close to us, but there just doesn't seem to be clear bases that are suitable like the ones in the picture above.

These are the ones I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNMPCZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I drilled a 7/64 hole in them. Just to obsess some of the holes are more toward the center and some are toward the edge for the minis with their legs apart and those two options seems to center all the small minis well. Weirdly some of the pegs are a little thick, I ended up reaming out the holes on a couple to deal with that. I also didn't make bases for most of the minis. Just enough that I won't run out during a scenario.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:12 AM, Bucho said:

These are the ones I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNMPCZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I drilled a 7/64 hole in them. Just to obsess some of the holes are more toward the center and some are toward the edge for the minis with their legs apart and those two options seems to center all the small minis well. Weirdly some of the pegs are a little thick, I ended up reaming out the holes on a couple to deal with that. I also didn't make bases for most of the minis. Just enough that I won't run out during a scenario.

Using clear bases is without a doubt the way to go. You can get away with just gluing with superglue without drilling holes - that's what I did. But having them with holes drilled would be neat. Very occasionally my figures come off the base and I have to glue them back on.

Many of the big monsters don't need bases. They look fine standing up by themselves.

Other than the rubbish big black bases, my other big gripe is the failure of FFG to stick to the same scale for the investigator figures.

Even in the base box, some figures are not the same scale as others.

I've spent a lot of time building up the smaller figure with modeling clay and making some of the larger figures smaller by carefully cutting and filing. A small but effective trick for some of the smaller figures is just to make their feet slightly larger. The size disparity is now not so glaring but I am considering replacing a couple which are still too big or too small. Finn Edwards seems to be a giant compared to Preston.

10 hours ago, Nicola Zealey said:

Using clear bases is without a doubt the way to go. You can get away with just gluing with superglue without drilling holes - that's what I did. But having them with holes drilled would be neat. Very occasionally my figures come off the base and I have to glue them back on.

Many of the big monsters don't need bases. They look fine standing up by themselves.

Other than the rubbish big black bases, my other big gripe is the failure of FFG to stick to the same scale for the investigator figures.

Even in the base box, some figures are not the same scale as others.

I've spent a lot of time building up the smaller figure with modeling clay and making some of the larger figures smaller by carefully cutting and filing. A small but effective trick for some of the smaller figures is just to make their feet slightly larger. The size disparity is now not so glaring but I am considering replacing a couple which are still too big or too small. Finn Edwards seems to be a giant compared to Preston.

It's not good plastic, honestly this is the only game I own that I haven't bothered to paint.

37 minutes ago, Bucho said:

It's not good plastic, honestly this is the only game I own that I haven't bothered to paint.

Funny, this is our only game where we've painted NO monsters. I've painted maybe 4 of the investigators... but that's it.

Edited by doubletapdaddy

I've painted everything with help from my husband who is very good on the fine detail and arcane skills like dry brushing.

Several he has not bothered to do the extra fine detail work as they're just not worth the effort but many do look great and it is worth the effort.

It really makes the game stand out visually.

The only drawback is the ones that look great make the rubbish ones look even more rubbish!

People really think this is dead? The game isn't terribly old and the last expansion isn't even a year old

On 10/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, IWasLeft2Die said:

People really think this is dead? The game isn't terribly old and the last expansion isn't even a year old

The original MoM came out in 2011, saw it's last expansion in 2013, and was replaced by 2ed in 2016.

This version has more expansions than the 1st edition ever got, 2 of them have already been discontinued, and it's not that much longer before 2ed will have outlived 1ed.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, Bucho said:

The original MoM came out in 2011, saw it's last expansion in 2013, and was replaced by 2ed in 2016.

This version has more expansions than the 1st edition ever got, 2 of them have already been discontinued, and it's not that much longer before 2ed will have outlived 1ed.

Yeah thats all true, but even still I could see the game lasting for a lot longer. The biggest issue with the company is that they have a lot of really popular games that most have many expansions which leaves some, like MoM, that are not as mainstream nor as cheap to make to be a bit slower to revisit. Its a lot easier to implement expansions and cost effective in most if their other games. I could see the game slowing down on expansions since its already done a lot but also the events if this year has certainly further slowed it down

Sure this year threw a monkey wrench in things. But that doesn't change the reality that FFG has a very noticeable pattern of not growing these games much bigger than it is now. And they've publicly commented that they need to be better about limiting the number of expansion more than they were.

With covid who knows, but I would have expected a DLC about a year after PoS and maybe one last small box after that. But PoS does not appear to have sold well so even that's a long shot. It's entirely plausible that they will just cut their losses.

Edited by Bucho

If nothing is announced during Arkham Nights this week, then my belief is the game line has ended.

But I'm happy to be proven wrong! 😄

My only hope is that they keep updating the app for OS changes for the foreseeable future. That's always been the fear of app-driven games for my group. I'd hate to have the entire line and not be able to play it in the next few years.

17 hours ago, JasonMFlow said:

My only hope is that they keep updating the app for OS changes for the foreseeable future. That's always been the fear of app-driven games for my group. I'd hate to have the entire line and not be able to play it in the next few years.

Windows 10 compatibility will probably last longer than Android or Apple compatibility. It's one of the reasons Mansions of Madness will likely be the only app controlled game I ever purchase. Don't feel like struggling with compatibility or network issues or even having electricity to play a board game. I live in a country where multi-day blackouts are a thing.

I feel like the forums closing is the door hitting us in the butt on the way out for this game. 😢

But any moment FFG will leap into action and release an editor which will enable fans to effortlessly make the scenarios of their dreams.

This super-doper professional editor will be easy to use, coded to the highest standard and fully 100% supported by FFG.

Pardon me while I go outside and watch the herds of migratory pigs fly overhead!

:)

OK lets get serious.

FFG is not going to release an editor for Mansions. So maybe players should take a look at and support Valkyrie.

Just an idea!

[Added]

With Valkyries there is a steady supply of new scenarios.

Edited by Nicola Zealey
Explanation

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Yeah, I'm not going to stop playing this any time soon.

I wish FFG or should I say Asmodee would release a statement on what the status is of Mansions of Madness. Then at least we officially know if they will bring out new expansion and/or DLC or they are done with the game. I love this game and I've played many hours of it. I use the IOS app to play MoM, I just hope they will keep updating it so I can keep using it.

15 hours ago, OpticFusion said:

I wish FFG or should I say Asmodee would release a statement on what the status is of Mansions of Madness. Then at least we officially know if they will bring out new expansion and/or DLC or they are done with the game. I love this game and I've played many hours of it. I use the IOS app to play MoM, I just hope they will keep updating it so I can keep using it.

They've had trouble rolling out DLC in the past. There response has been to stop telling us anything. Expect new DLC to be out for like a day before it gets announced.

One of the online game stores I purchase from just recently restocked 10+ copies of Sanctum of Twilight.

And if I'm not mistaken, they restocked the core set and other expansions in mid-late 2020. So it seems that for the time being, the game is still being reprinted.

Time will tell if the leaner FFG (since it jettisoned X-Wing, Armada and Legion) will resume production of new MoM2 expansions.

If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a third edition within the next few years. The Arkham line is too profitable, and MoM2 was too well received, not to continue in one form or another.