Sanity check for Hidden Storage "Any Item"

By Fl1nt, in Game Masters

Hello :)

So, one of my Players has expressed that he wants to aquire Hidden Storage and we then stumbled a bit on the definition of "Any item the characters owns has one or more hidden storage compartments".

Does this mean any item the character own can have it, as in if the Player wants he can choose to add compartments in "Every" item they own?

Or does it mean "Any 1 Item" ?

I'm currently handling it in the former way, as long as there's no abuse.
But I'm quite unsure how this Rule is intended to be interpreted, it would seem "Any = Every Item" would be prone to abuse and quite OP or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Yes this one is confusing. I am not 100% on this but based on the language it was written I would assume any 1 item would be appropriate instead of every.

Page 144 core rulebook (EOTE) "Any Large Equipment, Vehicle, or Droid that the character owns...."

Notice it is singular and uses the word "or" instead of "and". It helps to break it down into individual sentences below.

Any Large equipment the character owns

Any Vehicle that the character owns

or Any Droid that the character owns

This seems to be the way it was intended, but was not clarified well.

That seems logical, yes.

I wonder if there was at some time a Dev-Answer for this, or is anyone aware if it's still possible to ask the Dev's in regards of such stuff? (since they dropped it, I guess not?).

Do you really need the devs for this? The possibilities are "1" or "infinity". As a GM, I know which I'd pick... :ph34r:

"Equipment," "vehicle," and "droid" are all singular, though the first one is debatable. The "or" also suggests that it is exclusionary.

As to whether you can have compartments in multiple objects, or all in one, I would lean towards the latter as RAW/I, but would consider allowing the former under certain circumstances. But not more than one item per rank.

An important clause for any solution:

The number of compartments is up to the player, but cannot be enough to hold a total encumbrance value of items more than the character's ranks in Hidden Storage.

If you have one rank and a compartment in fifteen pieces of gear, at least five (or all if you split it evenly) are going to be too small to hold even an incidental item.

As an example:
Player gets one rank of Hidden Storage, places it in her sil 0 droid companion as a stimpack ejector (like Artoo's lightsaber dispenser).
Gets a second rank of Hidden Storage, places a compartment in the droid's back that can hold a blaster pistol.
Gets a third rank of Hidden Storage, but the poor little droid is running out of room. So, I allow her to make a new compartment in something else that can hold one encumbrance. (Even though I think that technically isn't RAW)

3 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

"Equipment," "vehicle," and "droid" are all singular, though the first one is debatable. The "or" also suggests that it is exclusionary.

As to whether you can have compartments in multiple objects, or all in one, I would lean towards the latter as RAW/I, but would consider allowing the former under certain circumstances. But not more than one item per rank.

An important clause for any solution:

If you have one rank and a compartment in fifteen pieces of gear, at least five (or all if you split it evenly) are going to be too small to hold even an incidental item.

As an example:
Player gets one rank of Hidden Storage, places it in her sil 0 droid companion as a stimpack ejector (like Artoo's lightsaber dispenser).
Gets a second rank of Hidden Storage, places a compartment in the droid's back that can hold a blaster pistol.
Gets a third rank of Hidden Storage, but the poor little droid is running out of room. So, I allow her to make a new compartment in something else that can hold one encumbrance. (Even though I think that technically isn't RAW)

Yeah that's pretty much how I ruled this now.

It's any 1 Item now and the player may choose to modify multiple items (1 item per rank) or just expand on existing storage.