If Posting Homebrew.

By Lord Dust, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

What is the tradition/style for posting homebrew on this forum.

One Long thread?

One thread pre Homebrew?

Don't?

Want to know before posting.

I don't get the impression that this is codified in rules and traditions, and you just get to go with what works best for you.

It depends, but typically if it's something like "please review my houserules" you plunk it down in a single thread. (Typically minor stuff like determining difficulty, tweaks to cover and defense, and the like)

If you're looking for input on homebrewed gear, then generally s single thread per item (typically something like statting an unstatted ship), or a single thread for all of it if it is all of a kind (like a thread for Mandalorian Vambrace weaponry).

But yeah, no hard and fast "rules" or "traditions."

Some people may think you shouldn't post homebrew/houserules, but they are outnumbered. ;)

3 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Some people may think you shouldn't post homebrew/houserules

Does anyone actually think that?

Or are in fact some people just highly critical of homebrew due to the potential for power-creep, or the unnecessary complications introduced when someone writes different rules for things that can already be handled by the rules?

18 minutes ago, emsquared said:

Does anyone actually think that?

Or are in fact some people just highly critical of homebrew due to the potential for power-creep, or the unnecessary complications introduced when someone writes different rules for things that can already be handled by the rules?

I was mostly joking, and I wasn't even referring to you. (Though now that you mention it...)

There are those who often seem outright hostile to anyone who proposes homebrew or houserules. Critical and hostile are different, and do not have to overlap.

I didn't feel targeted by the comment, in no small part because I've done a lot of homebrew myself. I imagine I know at least a couple figures you had in mind.

But I do think it's important to be critical of homebrew. To improve it if/when the creator is open to that, or absolutely to openly, honestly, and directly point out it's faults for the sake of the community, when not.

Particularly as there's no official content foreseeable on the horizon, and ppl turn more and more to homebrew to expand the game.

And I agree, being critical and hostile are different, critical and negative are even different. And so if someone wants to post homebrew, they should expect critical feedback.

Thank you for the input. I will try to not flood the forum in threads.

Don't think too much about it. Just slap down what you got.