Painted JIME

By doubletapdaddy, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I like to look at other peoples painted figures when I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. Sometimes I'll see a detail on someone else's finished miniature that I hadn't even noticed or thought of. Other times it's just nice to glean some inspiration when you're not sure which direction to go. I thought that it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to painted JIME figures. Honestly, I also felt kind of silly starting a thread just to show what my family and I have painted. We're certainly no experts, but a little bit of color definitely adds to the experience. Whenever somebody finishes one, we sign and date the bottom. LOL. Anyway... if anybody else wants to share some painted JIME please feel free to post. šŸ˜ƒ

Here's a few that I finished over the weekend...

FHOgKly.jpg

JoTUyR7.jpg

nh4ekMe.jpg

sLYAlAL.jpg

Edited by doubletapdaddy
12 hours ago, doubletapdaddy said:

I like to look at other peoples painted figures when I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. Sometimes I'll see a detail on someone else's finished miniature that I hadn't even noticed or thought of. Other times it's just nice to glean some inspiration when you're not sure which direction to go. I thought that it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to painted JIME figures. Honestly, I also felt kind of silly starting a thread just to show what my family and I have painted. We're certainly no experts, but a little bit of color definitely adds to the experience. Whenever somebody finishes one, we sign and date the bottom. LOL. Anyway... if anybody else wants to share some painted JIME please feel free to post. šŸ˜ƒ

Here's a few that I finished over the weekend...

FHOgKly.jpg

JoTUyR7.jpg

nh4ekMe.jpg

sLYAlAL.jpg

Where did you get the paint? What kind of paint do I need?

Not including the bases...

The majority of the work was done with Citadel Contrast paints. The black fletching lines on the arrows, the barrow-wight swords, the warg pupil dots and the gray rock that Coalfang is standing on were painted using various Vallejo Game Color paints. So 99% is the contrast paints. They almost make it look as if I know what I'm doing. Lol.

H7L9tUo.jpg

Edit... I used Citadel Technical paint Typhus Corrosion to age the swords.

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Cave Trolls painted and based by my 12 y/o daughter.

pa7MLvm.jpg

E7SlzDV.jpg

NHFsxgP.jpg

This was my first try at contrast paints. Meh.

XqWaovB.jpg

KQZoQB0.jpg

LE1k1HR.jpg

Although it doesn't look too bad on the table.

In the dark...

from a distance. šŸ¤Ŗ

There's no denying it...

These guys are ugly!!!

GY3klnn.jpg

mPU5a1K.jpg

GRxNl7D.jpg

The Coffee Stain Brigade.

O8TMhot.jpg

Nice work! I really like your Wights and Pit Goblins.

Great idea! I also find it really helpful to look at what others have done when deciding how to Paint my own minis. Here is the thread I documented my painting in.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2462960/miniature-painting-birdman

EDIT: I also have to say I think it was a smart idea to paint the edge of the enemy bases in red. It really gives a quick visual indicator that these are enemies. I assume you'll do the edge a different color for all the heroes?

Edited by Birdman137
5 hours ago, Birdman137 said:

Nice work! I really like your Wights and Pit Goblins.

Great idea! I also find it really helpful to look at what others have done when deciding how to Paint my own minis. Here is the thread I documented my painting in.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2462960/miniature-painting-birdman

I've seen your thread. You're figures look great! My wife, my daughter and I got kind of burnt out using standard paint on other game figures and thought we'd give the contrast paints a try. For JIME our goal was to use the contrast paint for bright colors with a cartoony pop, and finish them as quickly as possible. One of us mentioned that the Cave Trolls looked like a couple of "jokers", hence the Joker purple and green.

NHFsxgP.jpg

rs421iA.jpg

Edited by doubletapdaddy
31 minutes ago, doubletapdaddy said:

I've seen your thread. You're figures look great! My wife, my daughter and I got kind of burnt out using standard paint on other game figures and thought we'd give the contrast paints a try. For JIME our goal was to use the contrast paint for bright colors with a cartoony pop, and finish them as quickly as possible.

Yeah, I started getting burnt out too and just wanted to get them on the table quickly. I mostly avoided texturing effects and highlighting (Though I wish I had done a little more dry brushing. It's so quick and easy and produces a really nice effect.) and didn't adorn the bases with anything. Just paint then wash. I'm very glad I painted them, but I'm glad it's over. It would have been nice to have a few people helping! :)

Whips! This was a family contest. With exception of basing, they had to be completed in 45 minutes or less. Mine on the left, my daughter's in the middle, my wife's on the right.

qwM2i3l.jpg

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Painted and based by my daughter. I think this was her first figure done with contrast paints. She wasn't too excited with the results, but I think it looks great. Gotta love Blood For The Blood God . šŸ¤˜

CHz7FOo.jpg

WGiJ6V9.jpg

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Wow, gulgotar is really nice. The blood on the sword, cool.

12 hours ago, Boogiemeester said:

Wow, gulgotar is really nice. The blood on the sword, cool.

My daughter applies Citadel BFTBG better than I do. I always put on too much. Lol.

Before BFTBG

A6cJ692.jpg

After I applied BFTBG

BOlveGB.jpg

I don't bother with it anymore. I just ask her to do it. šŸ˜Š

On 8/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, doubletapdaddy said:

Whips! This was a family contest. With exception of basing, they had to be completed in 45 minutes or less. Mine on the left, my daughter's in the middle, my wife's on the right.

qwM2i3l.jpg

where there is a whip....there is a way!

Axe to grind?

mK9cQ77.jpg

Those smalle Teeth! How did you do it??

I tried it, but it's so hard to Paint them, they're really small.

Also, you have separate Teeth. How did you Paint lines between them?

At mine, those Teeth in between the 2 big ones are just a white line.

2 hours ago, Boogiemeester said:

At mine, those Teeth in between the 2 big ones are just a white

We just paint all the teeth white, and then use Citadel Nuln Oil for separation.

2 hours ago, Boogiemeester said:

At mine, those Teeth in between the 2 big ones are just a white

We just paint all the teeth white, and then use Citadel Nuln Oil for separation.

My daughter is working on the dwarves. Other than some coffee stains, they're coming along nice...

...nice that I don't have to paint them. Lol.

W1YucXk.jpg

hqLvzwl.jpg

Haven't panted in some time, but I was able to knock out Ursa and the large spider (name?) after dinner.

SwPFFG6.jpg

4Yvs22T.jpg

lJf5GaK.jpg

All the while being judged by Gandalf.

szqa417.jpg

Wow! Nice job on all of them. I love the visual interest you added to them through the different colors...even to ursa! Did you ever figure out what those rock-looking things under the spawn of Ungoliant are supposed to be?

I just figured they were egg sacs. And wow, that's quite a name / title! The main reason for the different colors is that we decided to paint all of the JiME figures using contrast paints (with the exception of eyes, metallics and basing).

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Nalka is the official name of the large spider. He is indeed a Spawn of Ungoliant, as was Shelob.

Hmm...Nalka. Good to know. And egg sacks make sense. Iā€™m looking forward to getting to this one soon šŸ˜„