Outmaneuver vs Alexsandr Kallus

By SILENT FURY, in X-Wing Rules Questions

latest?cb=20191223213159 latest?cb=20180604183408

If I have outmaneuver and I'm attacking Alexsandr Kallus from his rear arc at range 1, does he roll a die if I modify my dice or does Outmaneuver remove the additional die his pilot ability would give him? We weren't sure if outmaneuver already triggered prior to the dice modification or if it applies to the whole engagement.

They offset, same as how Outmaneuver will work against a Range 3 or obstructed VCX flown by any pilot. FFG revised the rules in 2e so that all these additions and subtractions to dice rolled will offset.

31 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

They offset, same as how Outmaneuver will work against a Range 3 or obstructed VCX flown by any pilot. FFG revised the rules in 2e so that all these additions and subtractions to dice rolled will offset.

More fundamentally, all additions (abilities like Kallus, range, obstructions) and subtractions (abilities like outmaneuver or intimidation, strain) are checked for and applied at the time of the roll, and they all happen in a single equation, before you apply the dice rolling caps (minimum of zero, maximum of six). Say you're using Outmaneuver against a Strained Kallus, obstructed at Range 3. You roll focus-focus-focus, so you spend your token for 3 hits. Kallus then checks for his defense dice, using the following math:

Base Agility (0) + Kallus (1) + Range (1) + Obstruction (1) + Outmaneuver (-1) + Strain (-1)

All of the pluses and minuses are calculated together, resulting in a single result (in this case, 1 defense die).

I think this is about whether the effect of Outmaneuver triggers Kallus' pilot ability, and the answer is no.

Outmaneuver reduces the size of defender's Defence Dice pool while the requirement is fulfilled - this effect is not a dice modification, and thus Kallus cannot roll an additional Defence die because no dice modification occurs - unless the attacker changes, rerolls, adds or spends any results of his Attack Dice.

10 hours ago, muzhyou said:

I think this is about whether the effect of Outmaneuver triggers Kallus' pilot ability, and the answer is no.

Outmaneuver reduces the size of defender's Defence Dice pool while the requirement is fulfilled - this effect is not a dice modification, and thus Kallus cannot roll an additional Defence die because no dice modification occurs - unless the attacker changes, rerolls, adds or spends any results of his Attack Dice.

The post is about after the attack dice are modified. It came up in a match and we were both new to Kallus, so we weren't sure if different timing applied, but this could definitely help others further understand the interaction.

10 hours ago, SILENT FURY said:

The post is about after the attack dice are modified. It came up in a match and we were both new to Kallus, so we weren't sure if different timing applied, but this could definitely help others further understand the interaction.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, this sequence represents how the dice rolling should proceed during an attack:

• Attacker rolls red dice
    • Defender modifies red dice
    • Attacker modifies red dice [ Kallus ability would be triggered here ]
  • Defender rolls green dice [ this is where you would apply both Outmaneuver and Kallus's ability ]
    • Attacker modifies green dice
    • Defender modifies green dice

Also, just because I haven't seen it stated yet, this is assuming Kallus doesn't have a ship docked (or you are ruling that he doesn't have the Tail Gun ability) and doesn't have a turret pointed at the rear arc.

Since Outmaneuver won't trigger if the attacker is inside of a turret arc or a primary weapon arc.

6 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Also, just because I haven't seen it stated yet, this is assuming Kallus doesn't have a ship docked (or you are ruling that he doesn't have the Tail Gun ability) and doesn't have a turret pointed at the rear arc.

Since Outmaneuver won't trigger if the attacker is inside of a turret arc or a primary weapon arc.

OP didn't mention any docked ships so i assume its just the VCX by itself with no turret upgrades.

8 hours ago, Lyianx said:

OP didn't mention any docked ships so i assume its just the VCX by itself with no turret upgrades.

correct there were no docked ships just the natural front arc. Thanks for clearing up the dice timing you explained it really well and it makes sense that you wouldn't add the extra dice until the evade dice are rolled.