Double the Fall and Droid Bombers

By Memorare, in Army Building

Having a total fun time playing this with my mate. 11 activations with Dooku and Grievous is a laugh.

Count Dooku [230 Points]:Esteemed Leader, Force Push, Force Reflex

General Grievous [196 Points]:Aggressive Tactics, Endurance, Esteemed Leader

B1 Battle Droids [46 Points]:HQ Uplink

B1 Battle Droids [36 Points]

BX-series Droid Commandos† [48 Points]:Dioxis Mine Saboteur

BX-series Droid Commandos [48 Points] Dioxis Mine Saboteur

BX-series Droid Commandos [48 Points]:Dioxis Mine Saboteur

Edited by Memorare

think I would consider dropping endurance to strict orders and bumping up the 3 sabs to snipers, feels like you would get a lot more value out of the snipers than the sabs and a 4 point bid is negligible these days anyway.

The mines are probably more fun to play and play against.

Honestly I think that there is an argument to be made for the mine sabotuers over the snipers. I personally don't like that I have to spend an aim token to get access to pierce 1, and the units AI is to move or dodge. I feel like you have to spend too much time babysitting the activations on your X series for them to really benefit the sniper build, where as with the mines they are already moving forward anyway so they are going to use that action. Two red dice at range 5 is still good, just it doesn't feel quite as good to me especially compared to scouts. Also scale and scout 3 the amount of control you can get from the mines might be pretty useful on a lot of boards.

I just feel like the mines themselves are pretty weak, so even if you get into a position to get them to go off theres a decent chance they might not do any damage anyway.

thats on top of the fact that the sabs suffer the same issue as all the sabs in the game where unless they hit themselves with the mine they are very inefficient at dropping the mines and then getting away from them to then detonate.

I would certainly be in favor of adding a free 1 speed move action to the "Arm" action similar to what Bossk has, for now though the sabs are just far too inefficient to run in my opinion.

of course if you are just playing for fun play them and knock yourself out

On 8/21/2020 at 12:49 AM, Mace Windu said:

I just feel like the mines themselves are pretty weak, so even if you get into a position to get them to go off theres a decent chance they might not do any damage anyway.

thats on top of the fact that the sabs suffer the same issue as all the sabs in the game where unless they hit themselves with the mine they are very inefficient at dropping the mines and then getting away from them to then detonate.

I would certainly be in favor of adding a free 1 speed move action to the "Arm" action similar to what Bossk has, for now though the sabs are just far too inefficient to run in my opinion.

of course if you are just playing for fun play them and knock yourself out

Droid Sabs can't poison themselves at least.

Ohh, you're using strike teams, not commando squads. I was very confused for a minute.

It has a lot of activations, but there's only 2 activations capable of actually dealing damage. Dioxis mines are mathematically not very good. They average 1 hit. Against red dice, there's a 50% chance you do nothing and a 50% you do 2 wounds (1 inflicted after it has one more chance to affect the game). So, while it never works out this way, you can think of it as each mine killing 1 clone on average.

Further, even when they do kill a couple troopers, it will be difficult to put mines on the same units over and over again. So you'll not be eliminating very many activations, just softening them up. This means it is entirely up to Dooku and Grievous to eliminate enemy activations.

Meanwhile your BX squads will be wiped out on a wim, the second your opponent gets a chance. You'll lose activations quickly and your opponent will lose them slowly unless they rush to meet your lightsabers mid-field. I think you'll have a hard time eliminating a squad before turn 3.

I feel like any mine spam list is mostly relying on the psychological affect of mines scaring people into making mistakes. If that doesn't work, you might be in trouble.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, Sekac said:

Ohh, you're using strike teams, not commando squads. I was very confused for a minute.

It has a lot of activations, but there's only 2 activations capable of actually dealing damage. Dioxis mines are mathematically not very good. They average 1 hit. Against red dice, there's a 50% chance you do nothing and a 50% you do 2 wounds (1 inflicted after it has one more chance to affect the game). So, while it never works out this way, you can think of it as each mine killing 1 clone on average.

Further, even when they do kill a couple troopers, it will be difficult to put mines on the same units over and over again. So you'll not be eliminating very many activations, just softening them up. This means it is entirely up to Dooku and Grievous to eliminate enemy activations.

Meanwhile your BX squads will be wiped out on a wim, the second your opponent gets a chance. You'll lose activations quickly and your opponent will lose them slowly unless they rush to meet your lightsabers mid-field. I think you'll have a hard time eliminating a squad before turn 3.

I feel like any mine spam list is mostly relying on the psychological affect of mines scaring people into making mistakes. If that doesn't work, you might be in trouble.

Maybe he's playing against rebels, then those mines will wipe out entire squads somehow

On 8/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, Sekac said:

That math is assuming your mine is only going off on one unit. Mines are incredible. I have played over 20 games with triple BXs and the only times the sniper teams even come close to the amount of damage the mines put out is if you run the sniper team in range 3 to get 2 red and 2 white in each attack.

Fair enough, I just prefer snipers overall. If I'm taking vibro-blades, I'll take a sniper with them. Because if I'm out of charge range, 8 white, 2 red is pretty sweet.

The sniper teams have also been great for removing standbys from clone squads before something walks into their range.