GM thoughts on using Aliens (movie) in FnD

By Dejon, in Star Wars Roleplaying Specialization and Adversary Decks

I’m starting to put some thoughts together on running a survival horror game for Halloween and I’d like to get some GM feedback on using aliens from the movie Aliens. I’ve seen some attempts at stats, but no follow-up on how it went. Would blasters and lightsabers, for example, create the same amount of acid spray that a slug thrower would? I can’t imagine that there would be a cauterizing effect so it seems that it would tantamount to suicide to play a character with a lightsaber. Your thoughts?

did you mean for this to be in the Force and Destiny forum

Yes, I’m specifically interested in the thoughts of others on whether or not a Jedi could play in that type of session. If the consensus is “no” then I’ll look for a different monster for my game. Sorry for the ambiguity

I wouldn't worry about specific weapons causing specific reactions. I haven't seen any fan made stats for an Alien, but I'd probably give it an "Acid Blood" ability.

ACID BLOOD: If a combat check against the Alien generates two Threats, any non-Alien creature within Engaged range suffers 3 Wounds. If the check generates a Despair, the effect increases to Short range.

Super rough thought straight out the brain, but something like that.

I was thinking along similar lines but I worry that it would really tough to be a Jedi

It would be dangerous for anyone at close range, but Xenomorphs are incredibly dangerous. Since lightsabers do high damage and there's no reason for them to negate Breach, a couple good thwacks would still bring one down.

Don't nerf them too much or you reduce the scare factor which is the whole theme you're going for .

Is this a one-shot or part of an ongoing campaign? If it's a one off, go heavy on the danger and don't worry if PCs die. Really capture the feel of an Alien movie.

It’s a one off just for Halloween. Players with blasters can engage the xenomorphs at some distance (although probably not much). Jedi, on the other hand, have to wait until they are at engaged range. It’s not part of the campaign so losses won’t be carried over but I’d still like the players to be challenged but still have fun. Your point about the xenomorphs being incredibly dangerous is well taken. I wonder if a lightsaber burns so hot that it would vaporize the acid. Letting even one get close is already dangerous enough.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:00 PM, Dejon said:

Yes, I’m specifically interested in the thoughts of others on whether or not a Jedi could play in that type of session. If the consensus is “no” then I’ll look for a different monster for my game. Sorry for the ambiguity

The Reason why I asked is you posted in the adversary deck forum. If you want to get more discussion I would repost in the Force and Destiny forum.

@Daeglan Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was in the FnD forum, but I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I've now posted in the correct forum (I hope)