Few questions after completing my first full adventure

By TrevinoKing, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hey good morning all! Last night I finished my first full adventure with my friends and I have some questions about rules. By the way I’m loving the game and I used the shadowed paths expansion as well.

- When interacting with a token, If an enemy is exhausted they can’t attack right? In this scenario I was trying to get into the lair but a bowman was within range but exhausted from a previous battle.

- when interacting with a token you have to provoke all enemies in range of attack right? I was trying to get into the lair but I had to provoke 3-4 different enemies before doing a single interaction action. Is this right? Seems like a quick way to get killed off lol

- Aragorn s travel garb. It says discard 1 face down damage if taken. It seems I’ve run into two interpretations of this rule. #1: in combat if you take damage face up and it tells you to facedown that counts as a negate 1. Rule #2: receiving face up damage is not the same as facedown damage and the garb has no effect on negating damage if it doesn’t specify “take face down damage”. For rule 2 if I take damage face up and it says to flip it facedown it wouldn’t negate damage. Can someone clarify the travel garb and it’s damage effects?

- difficult ground (expansion): the difficult movement doesn’t effect the whole tile right? Just the parts with the icon? And what happens if you go into difficult ground on round 1 and after the shadow/rallie phase can they feeely move out without discarding cards? Rule book list says they can’t enter and exit in the same turn without discarding a prepared card

- what’s the point of the terrain cards? Are they just a reminder of what all the tokens do with zero impact on the game?

thanks for reading all 🇺🇸

24 minutes ago, TrevinoKing said:

Hey good morning all! Last night I finished my first full adventure with my friends and I have some questions about rules. By the way I’m loving the game and I used the shadowed paths expansion as well.

1. When interacting with a token, If an enemy is exhausted they can’t attack right? In this scenario I was trying to get into the lair but a bowman was within range but exhausted from a previous battle.

2. when interacting with a token you have to provoke all enemies in range of attack right? I was trying to get into the lair but I had to provoke 3-4 different enemies before doing a single interaction action. Is this right? Seems like a quick way to get killed off lol

3. Aragorn s travel garb. It says discard 1 face down damage if taken. It seems I’ve run into two interpretations of this rule. #1: in combat if you take damage face up and it tells you to facedown that counts as a negate 1. Rule #2: receiving face up damage is not the same as facedown damage and the garb has no effect on negating damage if it doesn’t specify “take face down damage”. For rule 2 if I take damage face up and it says to flip it facedown it wouldn’t negate damage. Can someone clarify the travel garb and it’s damage effects?

4. difficult ground (expansion): the difficult movement doesn’t effect the whole tile right? Just the parts with the icon? And what happens if you go into difficult ground on round 1 and after the shadow/rallie phase can they feeely move out without discarding cards? Rule book list says they can’t enter and exit in the same turn without discarding a prepared card

5. what’s the point of the terrain cards? Are they just a reminder of what all the tokens do with zero impact on the game?

thanks for reading all 🇺🇸

I've numbered your questions in the original post to more easily respond to them.

1. Correct. If an enemy is exhausted it can't attack unless it is an elite enemy (has one of the banners with the red pointy banners). Elite enemy or not though, you can interact with a token in their space without provoking if they are exhausted.

2. Close. I believe you only have to provoke enemies in the space you are trying to leave/interact with a token in. If a ranged enemy is in range but not in the actual space, I don't believe you need to provoke that enemy.

3. Rule #2 two is correct. You can only prevent damage when the app specifically states you are taking face down damage. This does make it significantly less attractive.

4. You are correct, only spaces with the icon are affected. If a space doesn't have the difficult ground icon you treat it as normal, even if there is difficult ground on other spaces on the same tile. Also, yes, if you moved into difficult ground in the previous round, you would be able to freely leave difficult ground on the next round.

5. The terrain cards are simply reminders of what each of the terrain tokens do. The app will also tell you what they do so the cards aren't strictly necessary. I sometimes find it easier to set out the cards to reference rather that clicking on the icon in the app, but that's just my preference.

Glad you're having fun! Enjoy!

14 minutes ago, Birdman137 said:

I've numbered your questions in the original post to more easily respond to them.

1. Correct. If an enemy is exhausted it can't attack unless it is an elite enemy (has one of the banners with the red pointy banners). Elite enemy or not though, you can interact with a token in their space without provoking if they are exhausted.

2. Close. I believe you only have to provoke enemies in the space you are trying to leave/interact with a token in. If a ranged enemy is in range but not in the actual space, I don't believe you need to provoke that enemy.

3. Rule #2 two is correct. You can only prevent damage when the app specifically states you are taking face down damage. This does make it significantly less attractive.

4. You are correct, only spaces with the icon are affected. If a space doesn't have the difficult ground icon you treat it as normal, even if there is difficult ground on other spaces on the same tile. Also, yes, if you moved into difficult ground in the previous round, you would be able to freely leave difficult ground on the next round.

5. The terrain cards are simply reminders of what each of the terrain tokens do. The app will also tell you what they do so the cards aren't strictly necessary. I sometimes find it easier to set out the cards to reference rather that clicking on the icon in the app, but that's just my preference.

Glad you're having fun! Enjoy!

Thanks 🙏

personally this helps a lot. Plus I had no idea ranged attackers won’t attack if provoked in range. 🔥 🔥

39 minutes ago, TrevinoKing said:

Thanks 🙏

personally this helps a lot. Plus I had no idea ranged attackers won’t attack if provoked in range. 🔥 🔥

Yep, I confirmed, you only need to provide enemies in your space .

45 minutes ago, Birdman137 said:

Yep, I confirmed, you only need to provide enemies in your space .

Thanks for the response! Last question with the ranged provocation; If someone is within range, but on an adjacent tile, doesn’t movement trigger a provocation attack? But interaction with a token doesn’t not cause a provocation attack?

41 minutes ago, TrevinoKing said:

Thanks for the response! Last question with the ranged provocation; If someone is within range, but on an adjacent tile, doesn’t movement trigger a provocation attack? But interaction with a token doesn’t not cause a provocation attack?

Nope, neither would provoke an attack.