Which is the ONE I should choose for my campaign?

By Leia Hourglass, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

I’m just trying to pick just ONE idea for my Star Wars campaign and I can’t choose. I’m trying to pick something that would be GROUNDBREAKING and NEW that a scientist can create in the Star Wars Canon galaxy. CANON only. Based on my observation, Star Wars canon seems to lack a bit in biotechnology. The Vong really introduced the Legends to Biotech. Canon really doesn’t have it. So here’s my list. Choose the best one that fits the criteria. I will give my thoughts on each entry. Their are not too many entries.

1.) Black Panther suit-

This would just be armor that has the ability to absorb kinetic energy. Not the rest of the Black Panther stuff. I think some Legends armor could absorb kinetic energy but not to the degree T’challa did where he would use it as a weapon by harnessing the stored energy. It would be cool but also their isn’t a lot of hand to hand combat in Star Wars. Everyone just fires blasters so I don’t know if this is not useful?

2.) Cultured plant cells-

This would be like making meat in a laboratory with cultured cells but this is plant cell culturing where you can make all sorts of wacky things like a meiloroon “Steak”. Meiloroons are those fruits from Rebels. Star Wars Canon does have GM crops. It was mentioned in Servants of the Empire so I don’t know if this could be easily done.

3.) Ionic wind pum

This is something that can replace fans to cool computer CPU's. It uses ionic wind which hasn't been made commercial yet. I got this idea after the Bad Batch arc of Clone Wars, since the Techno Union uses a special room to cool the massive computer that they hooked up Echo to. This would be much smaller. Its useful but it may seem a little too utilitarian and they use ion engines in Star Wars ubiquitously, so maybe this would be a piece of cake.
4.) Universal soil-
This would be soil that could have any type of crop in the universe grow in it so you could always grow stuff. Yet this may be already very commonly done with certain fertilizers.
5.) Synthetic microbiome-
A microbiome is the vast colony of bacteria that lives on and in your body. This would be a specially made synthetic one, that could help make a person healthier. Could be very useful since besides bacta; their doesn't seem to be a lot of medical stuff in Star Wars. Yet, their is bacta which covers a lot.
6.) Neuralyzer-type device-
This is the Men in Black pen shaped device that flashes a light and wipes a person's memories. While it may be a rip off of MIB, I don't know if erasing memories is still easy to do in Canon. It was easy in Legends. Could also be too dangerous to wipe memories instantly though.
7.) Orgasm drug-
This would be a drug that could help a species achieve orgasm. It might not work for all species.
8.) Thought recognition interface-
This is a computer that activates with an owner's brainwaves. May be great for security but it isn't really more than a novelty. We are almost their with this technology here on Earth but Star Wars tends to stick to buttons for computers. Yet I don’t know why this is true.
9.) Geo-seismic stabilization system
This would make building's earthquake proof. They had problems with earthquakes on the moon of Gorse in A New Dawn but maybe they have the tech, but are just too lazy to build this around the mining facility.
10.) Massively multiplayer virtual environments-
This would be a VR world for a child or other being to interact with others in and play games. True VR is rare in canon, but they did make a mention of virtual holoscapes in the Aftermath books.
11.) Graser-
Instead of a laser, this would be a Gamma ray laser BUT grasers are invisible so its no fun to fire them at people. I was thinking of using it to create micro black holes but that also might suck a ship in and be dangerous
12.) Digital instrument 3D sound casting-
This would be putting someone in a "bubble" where only they could hear a certain music. Might be utilitarian.
13.) Flotation surfactants-
This would be things you could put in the water, that would help you float to the surface of water. Yet, they may have mastered this already.
14.) Brainship-
This would be plugging in a disembodied brain in a jar to be able to control a spaceship. The B'omarr monks transplanted brains into jars but this would be one controlling a ship. They probably could do this? It would be cool but maybe unecessary when you could use droid brains?
18.) Full sensory recording-
A full recording of all a being's senses and experiences. I don’t know if their brain-computer interfaces can do this.
19.) Stillsuit-
A suit that helps conserve every drop of water and allow you to survive in a desert. From Dune. However they had coolth suits on Tatooine though? This is more easy to wear though but it would only be needed if stranded in the desert.
20.) Cognitive combat augmentations-
Brain implants that give a being the ability to fight. They do have brain implants and I think Greivous had this installed.
21.) Solar sunshade-
A giant sunshade that could block a planets sun from beating on it. A way to reduce a planets global warming? Could be constructed since they built a Death Star but since they have a ton of planets to choose from; they might not care to build this.
22.) Liquid breathing-
This is breathing an oxygen rich liquid instead of air. I think the Gungans do this already and they had rebreathers in Episode 1 and another similar device in Resistance so this might be useless.
Just pick the very best ONE that is something that would be a new advancement in technology.
Edited by Leia Hourglass

Bond watch laser... only it's a pocket sized Death Star tech.. it tells time, and blows up planets.. :D

The 20 most outrageous and fantastic James Bond gadgets of all ...

1. This is actually a really cool idea. Fits well with Cortosis for fighting lightsabers, so utility would be for Jedi/Sith hunting.
  2. This could be a flavorful (pun intended) quirk for a character's hobby project, but I'm not sure how you'd base a campaign around it.
  3. Reasonable to guess that it already exists, but because it is a component rather than a useful item in and of itself, it isn't all that interesting or groundbreaking.
  4. Useful, but probably exists in some form already. It's literally dirt, so it isn't all that interesting.
  5. Like you said, bacta already covers it. See 2. Mechanically, maybe just reskin bacta and allow the character to produce it with money and time.
  6. This is also a really cool idea, and fits well with 1 (since it's similar to Jedi mind tricks in some ways). Probably not a focus of the campaign, but a tool therein.
  7. O_o Why? (see 2)
  8. See 3.
  9. This is a cool idea. Works well for Explorer or Colonist. Lot you can do with this, and I'd be glad to give you some ideas if you need them.
  10. This would be a fun setting for the campaign, with the players being separated (but on the same planet for insta-comm purposes) but working together inside the VR-scape. I'd be glad to give you some ideas if you need them.
  11. This would be interesting for spies/sniper weapons. Probably a component of a larger story rather than the actual story.
  12. This is a really good idea. Secure vocal communications, psychological torture, etc. Reminds me of the cone of silence from Get Smart (except operable).
  13. Umm... like a submarine?
  14. This was actually a thing in Dark Empire with the Shadow Droids. It would be interesting for them to come across this, but there are ethical issues if the PCs want to do it.

18. Quite possibly exists already. Basically a brainscan so you can download consciousness into another vessel? An interesting tech for them to come across, a la In Limbo .
19. Reasonable to guess that it already exists, and while useful, not all that groundbreaking or useful.
20. Reasonable to guess that it already exists, a useful technology and easy to adapt into the game via a special cybernetic profile.
21. Comparable to Nkllon and the Shieldships .
22. Yep, your objections are accurate.

1, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are the best options.

1, 6, 11, and 12 don't work as well as a single item for an entire campaign and are best as components of larger stories.

I think 9 and 10 work best for a full campaign, and they are the ones I would recommend.