Soresu mastery

By Jedijones95, in Rules

Hello there, I’m really new to Star Wars legion and only had one game I’m playing republic and I’m a little unsure on how obi-wans keyword works so can someone please clarify if obi one can use his soresu mastery when being attacked in melee? So if he is attacked by say count dooku and he used his lighting can obi-wan use his ability to send wounds back on him? And then after the lightning count dooku uses his light Saber can obi-wan still send wounds back the same way?

thanks.

2 minutes ago, Jedijones95 said:

Hello there, I’m really new to Star Wars legion and only had one game I’m playing republic and I’m a little unsure on how obi-wans keyword works so can someone please clarify if obi one can use his soresu mastery when being attacked in melee? So if he is attacked by say count dooku and he used his lighting can obi-wan use his ability to send wounds back on him? And then after the lightning count dooku uses his light Saber can obi-wan still send wounds back the same way?

thanks.

@Jedijones95 From what I can see in the wording of Soresu Mastery, if Obi-wan spends a Dodge token while either defending or using Guardian, then he gains Surge to Block conversion, and every surge causes a hit on the defender, regardless of the "type" of the attack, unlike Deflect (which specifies ranged attacks).
Additionally, when you are attacking with multiple weapons, if you are targeting the same unit with those weapons, they are supposed to be rolled at the same time, and are a single attack, just with two weapons. So the attack pool from Dooku would contain both the Lightsaber and the Force Lightning, and if Obi-wan spent a Dodge token, then Soresu would allow him to cause wounds on Dooku.

41 minutes ago, Jedijones95 said:

thanks.

Soresu works like Deflect but also for melee attacks and when using Guardian.

On a side note, take into account that Dooku's lightning cannot be used in melee, and even so, he would not be able to make 2 attacks in one round as except for the move action, each action can be used only once per activation (unless some card effect lets you explicitly do it).

1 hour ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Soresu works like Deflect but also for melee attacks and when using Guardian.

On a side note, take into account that Dooku's lightning cannot be used in melee, and even so, he would not be able to make 2 attacks in one round as except for the move action, each action can be used only once per activation (unless some card effect lets you explicitly do it).

Dooku gains Arsenal 2 on the turn his 1 pip is played. I realize now I misunderstood how Versatile worked though, so Obi-wan would not have been a valid target for the Lightning.

74D10719-EEBB-453C-857E-779C2D023E7C.thumb.jpeg.295a93b67dca67a0ae0fb77d9ac175cf.jpeg

so if this one pip was played dooku could attack obi-wan with lightening and then with his Saber? Because of

70B2C431-A44E-42A1-B6AA-DE64DC31A739.jpeg.ce0af5bd44823d4e5c3c1b84ad417004.jpeg

ECA99994-5745-4846-90F2-677F3AB24FDD.jpeg.b9c1a52a45ce20a00b0aacd11a66aef8.jpeg

but obi-wan can still send wounds back regardless? He just needs to spend a dodge and roll surges?

but because dooku has arsenal 2 he could attack twice using both lightening and Saber?

A8189B4B-4D1F-4AFE-87E1-CD4D8B3EBAF4.jpeg.b2784a46ae474ea6b5585d4ae4b83dfd.jpeg

You can't use Lightning in melee, even if it has Versatile (Versatile does not allow you to make ranged attacks at someone in melee range). You could swing at Obi Wan (who I assume Dooku is engaged with) and then lightning someone else.

As arnoldrew said, Versatile lets you make a ranged attack while in melee, but doesn't change the weapons requirements. Dooku's lightning can only be used in range 1 or 2 attacks, not melee, and Versatile does nothing to that. What Versatile do is that you may make that ranged attack to some valid target even if you are engaged in melee (which normally a troooper unit cannot do as while engaged, if it wants to attack, it has to perform a melee attack on a unit it is engaged with).

Edited by Lemmiwinks86
7 hours ago, Jedijones95 said:

so if this one pip was played dooku could attack obi-wan with lightening and then with his Saber?

Also, just to clarify, if a unit with Arsenal is using multiple weapons against the same defender, the attacker combines the dice pools from all weapons being used into a single pool for a single attack. So if Dooku could use Lightning and Lightsaber against the same target (which, as others have pointed out, he can't), it would be one attack with 10 dice.