multiple questions from a new player!

By HyeJinx1984, in Reference Materials

Hey all!

Brand new to the forums, as well as to this board game. I just bought the base Arkham Asylum board game, will get the expansions slowly over time a sI get more and more familiar and comfortable with the rules and flow of the game... don't want to be overwhelmed. I apologize if some of these are answered elsewhere, or that I just missed in the answers in the rule book.

1) When a character ends their movement in a street location and there is a flying monster in the sky, does the monster immediately go to the character's space, or does that occur next turn?

2) If, because of an encounter consequence, a character is kicked out of a location and into the street (example: "this location is now clsoed, move to the street"), and there is a flying monster, does the monster move directly to that street location with the character, or does that not occur because the character did't move there during their 'movement' phase?

3) Can you evade flying monsters when they swoop down onto you from the sky, or does that automatically cancel your ability to evade?

4) Do flying monsters immediately move to a street area after coming through the open gate, or do they stay at an open gate until a mythos card instructed their symbol to move (or until there is a character in a connected street location)?

5) If a character ends their movement on a space with an open gate on it AND a monster on it, do they get sucked through the portal (not fighting the monster), or are they forced to do an evade/fight with the monster? If it's the latter, do they (same turn) get sucked through the gate? if so, do they ALSO have an OW encounter that turn?

6) When a character closes/seals a gate that has multiple related gates on the board (for example, I'm sealing an "abyss" gate at the woods, but there are also open "abyss" gates at hib's roadhouse and the unnamable) do they close also? If so, do I take those as gate trophies as well or do I only take the one I emerged from as a gate trophy?

7) Jenny Barnes (for example) emerges from an OW and puts an explored marker under her. However, Jenny doesn'tt have 5 clue tokens or an elder sign, and she really want to seal this gate. If Monterey Jack DOES have five clue tokens, can Jenny stay at her location (with explored marker under her) for however many turns it takes MJ to reach her location, and then HE can seal the gate with both of them standing on the same spot?

8) If a character is standing on an open gate that has been explored, and isn't rolling to close or seal the gate, do they have encounters there? or do they just stand there and ot do anything that turn?

9) Is it really worth getting the twilight membership? It seems just as much bad as good happens there, and I'm out 3 bucks.

10) Jenny Barnes has Anna Kaslow as an ally, then later in the game she crosses paths with MJ and passes off the ally card to him. On teh card it says (paraphrasing from memory) "when you acquire Anna Kaslow draw two clue tokens"... does this apply to MJ as well? What if he passes her to another player also? Does everyone just keep getting free clue tokens as Anna Kaslow is passed from player to player?

11) What's so special about the Mask characters from the Thousand Masks campaign? They look like regular monsters to me.

12) Why would people want to 'close' gets as oppose to seal them? I'd rather risk monster surges than have the same location open up again and cause another doom token to appear on the track, right?

13) Are any of the bosses 'easier' than others or are they all equally hard in different ways?

14) Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but the instructions on how to fight Cthulhu confuse me a little. Is he impossible to kill?

15) When you spend monster/gate trophies are they discarded (put out of the game all together) or returned to their respective cups?

16) Is there anyway for two investigators to fight a single monster? For example, either two investigators move into a spot with a monster, or a monster moves into a spot with two investigaors... can they team up to kill it?

Whew, that's all for now... thanks for helping out! I really appreciate it!

1 & 2: flying monsters only move towards the player when they move so the answer to both would be during the Mythos phase only if their symbol comes up.

3: You can evade yes. The way that works is the monsters move during the mythos phase then during the movement phase you must evade or fight all monsters at that location.

4: Flying monsters, like all monsters, only move when their symbols come up on a mythos card (or if a gate bursts but that's a different clarification). A flying monster will move to the sky from their gate unless there is an investigator in the street then they will move to the investigator.

5: Since you encounter monsters during the movement phase and enter gates during the arkham encounter phase you would encounter the monsters as soon as you enter the location, then during the arkham encounter phase you would be drawn through the gate.

6: No, only the gate you are at closes.

7: No, an explored marker belongs to the investigator standing on it and cannot be traded, since you need an explored marker to close a gate and the investigator arriving (Monty in your scenario) could not close the gate and would be drawn into the other world during the arkham encounter phase. However, if he had an elder sign he could pass it to Jenny and she could use it to seal this would not work with clues though as they cannot be traded.

8: Provided the character is the one with an explored token then nothing happens, if they don't have the explored token they are drawn through. The gate replaces the location and no encounters can be had (this includes location abilities that happen instead of an encounter) until the gate is gone.

9: This is mostly a mater of opinion and situation. There are some particularly good inner sanctum encounters, some of which set my group up for a win in the past, but there are a lot of random factors.

10: Allies cannot be traded so no.

11: Mask Monsters only go in the cup when Nyarlathotep is the Ancient One, and they tend to be stronger monsters than most, some of the expansion Masks can be particularly nasty.

12: There is validity to leaving a gate or two open in high traffic areas but remember if too many gates are open at the same time the Ancient One wakes up.

13: Yes, particularly the expansions Ancient Ones tend to be harder a few base game AOs (Azathoth, and Nyarlethotep in particular) tend to be easier.

14: I would need to know what in particular is confusing you to answer this question.

15: Trophies are returned to their respective cups, it may be handy to hold on to particularly nast monsters from time to time to prevent them from coming back.

16: No investigators cannot cooperate to fight the same monster other than the Ancient One.

Veet said:

9: This is mostly a mater of opinion and situation. There are some particularly good inner sanctum encounters, some of which set my group up for a win in the past, but there are a lot of random factors.

To add to this: if you happen to play the Photographer it becomes much easier to avoid the nasty ones.

I'm also a new player. Thanks for the info Veet, number 5 really helped me out. I had a few more questions to add, if you dont mind (I was looking through the various threads for answers, but gave up on these particular ones)

1. When using the Cross, can you gain the +1 Horror Check without sacrificing a hand?

2. I'm a little confused about movement relating to monster fights. Lets say you have 3 movement, and encounter a monster after moving 1 space. After you kill him, can you still move 2 more spaces that same turn?

3. Lets say you have 2 investigators at one location, and the streets outside are blocked off by a monster. When moving your investigators, can the first investigator fight the monster and make it so the 2nd doesnt to do an evade check or fight? Was just wondering if fighting occurs at the end of the entire Movement round, or at the end of each individual investigator's movement.

Gregor Clegane said:

I'm also a new player. Thanks for the info Veet, number 5 really helped me out. I had a few more questions to add, if you dont mind (I was looking through the various threads for answers, but gave up on these particular ones)

1. When using the Cross, can you gain the +1 Horror Check without sacrificing a hand?

2. I'm a little confused about movement relating to monster fights. Lets say you have 3 movement, and encounter a monster after moving 1 space. After you kill him, can you still move 2 more spaces that same turn?

3. Lets say you have 2 investigators at one location, and the streets outside are blocked off by a monster. When moving your investigators, can the first investigator fight the monster and make it so the 2nd doesnt to do an evade check or fight? Was just wondering if fighting occurs at the end of the entire Movement round, or at the end of each individual investigator's movement.

The cross does not need to be held in order to gain its horror check bonus. As a side note, the whip does not have to be used in an attack to use it's re-roll bonus. However, the shotgun does have to be used to get its double-hit on 6 bonus.

Once you enter a fight (either by decision, or by failing to evade) you lose all movement points. So there is no more moving after you kill a monster. The only way to keep moving after encountering a monster is to successfully evade.

The entire movement turn is done for each player before the next player moves. This includes combat. So in the situation you described, yes, player 1 can move and fight a monster so that player 2 can move beyond that area since the monster will no longer be there.

Thanks. I really appreciate the quick response (and in time for another round of AH tonight!)

I have about 6 games under my belt, and with that comes more questions! Well, at least one, anyways.

Can you cast the "Call Friend" spell on a delayed investigator?

Gregor Clegane said:

I have about 6 games under my belt, and with that comes more questions! Well, at least one, anyways.

Can you cast the "Call Friend" spell on a delayed investigator?

Hello.

No. A character, which is delayed, has no movement in this specific round (pg. 8 and pg 16 in the AH rule book); therefore he cannot be targeted by the spell.

Ia! Ia!

Mad