Taking the family

By Cr0aker, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I took my wife and kid to the last worlds 🤔 . Reminds me of Detroit and Flint during the 90's before CPL's. Thanks to Covid that is one decision I don't have to think about just yet!

Screen-Shot-2020-08-01-at-3.02.25-PM-696

Wait, defunding the police won't make everyone safer? Kind of thought the criminals would just stop being criminals.

Wow....

Edited by Jo Jo
3 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Wait, defunding the police won't make everyone safer? Kind of thought the criminals would just stop being criminals.

Wow....

Yo- you're kidding right? Please tell me you understand the difference between defunding and abolishing. Your statement seems to suggest they already lost the funds, but uh that hasn't happened, like at all. The police could use a good defunding from where I sit though. Maybe then they'd slow down their aggressive militarization? Maybe they'd change their policies and start tossing out their bad apples so people have faith in them and want them to be funded at the same level sometime down the line? There need to be consequences dude. When you have a group of people who are meant to uphold the law and they keep mucking it up and causing real harm to innocents, up to and including outright murder without real consequence, you have to hold them accountable.

That's all I'll say on the matter. Hope you never have the kind of horror show happen to you that my friends have lived through...

Edited by Hippie Moosen

One, they haven't been defunded yet. Two, cops lie. Especially to the press. Those numbers could just be standard for July, or even outright false.

And I am going to go with concealed carry did absolute squat about crime.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

Yo- you're kidding right? Please tell me you understand the difference between defunding and abolishing. Your statement seems to suggest they already lost the funds, but uh that hasn't happened, like at all. The police could use a good defunding from where I sit though. Maybe then they'd slow down their aggressive militarization? Maybe they'd change their policies and start tossing out their bad apples so people have faith in them and want them to be funded at the same level sometime down the line? There need to be consequences dude. When you have a group of people who are meant to uphold the law and they keep mucking it up and causing real harm to innocents, up to and including outright murder without real consequence, you have to hold them accountable.

That's all I'll say on the matter. Hope you never have the kind of horror show happen to you that my friends have lived through...

I know they haven't been defunded, however the talk of it has caused this surge in crime. But Defunding isn't what was on the table in Minneapolis. What the City Council in Minneapolis actually pushed through is to "dismantle" the police force as it actually stands. Now I doubt it actually happens, but the simple fact that it was on the table has caused the police there to leave in droves. They are down 10% of the force currently and simply cannot put the same amount of bodies on the streets. Not a shock that crime has risen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8587211/Minneapolis-police-struggle-cope-surge-violent-crime-death-George-Floyd.html

Now I am totally for dismantling these Police unions that protect these bad cops.

Edited by Jo Jo

Not wanting to disagree with you there @Jo Jo , but dear God please find a better source to quote than the Daily Fail. Even amongst the British press, it's reputation isn't exactly... stellar.

If anything their quote of a 10% reduction is low. But you can google it, multiple sources reporting that a ton of police are resigning there.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, Cr0aker said:

I took my wife and kid to the last worlds 🤔 . Reminds me of Detroit and Flint during the 90's before CPL's. Thanks to Covid that is one decision I don't have to think about just yet!

Screen-Shot-2020-08-01-at-3.02.25-PM-696

The highlighted bubbles have been part of suggested advice for robberies for ages. You'll find similar statements on other police department sites as well. EDIT: Really the whole thing is made up of established advice that has existed before this year.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark
On 8/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, Jo Jo said:

multiple sources reporting that a ton of police are resigning there.

Hey look it's those bad apples I was talking about. Seriously those cops resigning because people want them to be held accountable for their actions shouldn't be cops in the first place. You don't get to have authority and a lethal weapon as a part of your job without having your work scrutinized. If they feel like outing themselves this way, I say that's a good thing. Black list them and be done with it.

20 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Hey look it's those bad apples I was talking about. Seriously those cops resigning because people want them to be held accountable for their actions shouldn't be cops in the first place. You don't get to have authority and a lethal weapon as a part of your job without having your work scrutinized. If they feel like outing themselves this way, I say that's a good thing. Black list them and be done with it.

Why are we assuming all the bad cops are the ones resigning? If my boss told me today that our contract is possibly getting a large budget cut I would probably update my resume and start looking around. You know, have employment setup before you are laid off?

4 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Why are we assuming all the bad cops are the ones resigning? If my boss told me today that our contract is possibly getting a large budget cut I would probably update my resume and start looking around. You know, have employment setup before you are laid off?

Mass resignation is a pretty common tactic that police use when faced with the kind of protests that we're seeing now. It's meant to make them appear indispensable and by extension above scrutiny. They want people to conflate fixing the problem with eliminating law enforcement entirely. Essentially they are trying to extort the people they are there to serve by refusing them help until the calls for scrutiny in the face of unjust homicide, accountability for officers using lethal force in situations that don't call for it, restructuring to address systemic issues, and so on are dropped. They can say it's because they don't want to see their budget decrease, but the reason that budget is being targeted specifically is because of how seldom police actually face prosecution much less conviction for the crimes that some commit. Those who choose to stand in solidarity with those corrupt officers are complicit in my eyes and as such I see them as equally reprehensible.

Edited by Hippie Moosen