Runewars thought...

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

With things changing/ new product coming Terrinoth-wise, something interesting I noticed is 'Runewars Miniatures Game' became just 'Runewars' on the box logos, could be nothing but it did get me wondering if they made this subtle change for a reason. Might just be that it's a bit 'not needed' like Descent being Descent board game :)

I still think there's a bit more planned for Terrinoth beyond whatever's going to be in that big box- we've had the Genesys sourcebook, there's novels coming, with older lines being retired I wonder what might happen if the thing in the big box does well and further revives interest in the world.

So hoping a. it lives up to the hype (the MoR creator link makes me very optimistic)

and b. it does really well (especially as we could be in for some tough times financially globally)

on which note kudos to the box of mystery designer(s), I think I'd actually buy it if it was just that box :)

What make you think that the big box will do really well? The fact that it will come in a far future when the pandemic situation (let's hope) will be under control? The fact that it will cost a lot while we all are poorer?

The train has already gone away: they should have teased 2 or 3 years ago (The Chain That Rust was out in 2016), not now. Now there is a plethora of "better" products out there and it will be almost impossible for everyone to get a piece of the market. I don't think Asmodee is able to produce a masterpiece worth buying: they just think to their ROI and not to the players fun. They destroyed FFG 😞

BTW, I will be pleased if I am completely wrong and they will get us a real masterpiece 🙂

7 hours ago, tibia said:

What make you think that the big box will do really well? The fact that it will come in a far future when the pandemic situation (let's hope) will be under control? The fact that it will cost a lot while we all are poorer?

I bought Mansions of Madness despite what a low opinion I have of a lot of things about it during the pandemic because my girlfriend loves the genre and there just aren't a ton of games in that genre that do two player coop well.

Fantasy is a much more competitive genre, they will have to show up gloomhaven and frosthaven but if they can most people are pretty desperate for a something to do and at least in the US that won't be changing for a while.

11 hours ago, tibia said:

The train has already gone away: they should have teased 2 or 3 years ago (The Chain That Rust was out in 2016), not now. Now there is a plethora of "better" products out there and it will be almost impossible for everyone to get a piece of the market. I don't think Asmodee is able to produce a masterpiece worth buying: they just think to their ROI and not to the players fun. They destroyed FFG 😞

BTW, I will be pleased if I am completely wrong and they will get us a real masterpiece 🙂

Bruh, that game will be on back order very quickly. I'm hoping to be able to pre-order, but you know with the way people are now, theyll order a few and scalp extras at a profit. Look at kickstarters, for example. It's the way the market works in most physical spaces where there is a small order that can't meet demand.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:01 AM, tibia said:

Descent is ranked #2 on the Hotness chart at BoardGameGeek after the "reveal".

There is a lot of interest in this new edition.

Edited by kris40k

Yes, the interest is really high (me too), but translating it to sure buys ... I had a lot of interest (even more) in LotR: JiME, but I am really happy that I didn't buy it. Will the same happen to the new Descent iteration? Sooner or later we will know. The same can be for all other interested people.

It is going to be tough-timing with/post Covid 19's shadow but I see this as an early tease for a 2021 product, my gut feeling is we'd have got more info if it was a 2020 product, so like everyone I'm hoping things will improve with the global situation, as well as that it won't hit games sales too hard going forward (it may even help them such are the quirks of life).

They've fixed one error of judgement of D2e though- only really thought about this when saw that box- the Descent logo typeface colour actually pops from a distance- looking at my D2e boxes from a distance they made a bad design call- the text is a dark blue so 'Descent' rather vanishes into the background, especially with one or two of the expansions, not so bad on the core box as it has a brighter border, Shadow of Nerekhall is really bad- text and background pretty much the same colour on side of box in poor light, so the colour change is much smarter- should actually jump out from a distance. (I'm now curious as to how player Kaaihn sees it due to their colour blindness- if it still pops well for them)

Descent's still at 15 on the hotness and Rank:

Overall 104

Thematic 33

on BGG

so there's plenty of potential for this to do well if FFG get the launch and post-launch right (which went a bit awol with Runewars Miniatures fizzling out somewhat as they seemed to stop bringing it to expos etc- huge Star Wars area, Terrinoth off the map completely thus off visitors' radar, why do you make really good miniatures then have nothing at future games expos? Plus where was Heroes of Terrinoth? Genesys? etc etc - when other companies had bigger ranges of product being showcased. If people don't see your product.....Please FFG get this right this time :) )

I just hope, that with Descent legends of the dark and Descent 2ed, we will not get the same treatment as with Runewars miniature game and Battlelore 2ed.

Battlelore 2ed was a great game with great reviews, but weak marketing.

They shut Battlelore down, to make space for Runewars, which in turn did not sell well at all.

26 minutes ago, Wakomski said:

I just hope, that with Descent legends of the dark and Descent 2ed, we will not get the same treatment as with Runewars miniature game and Battlelore 2ed.

Battlelore 2ed was a great game with great reviews, but weak marketing.

They shut Battlelore down, to make space for Runewars, which in turn did not sell well at all.

Going back to the original thought behind this thread I'm still wondering if these games might return in some shape or form, either as a new edition once the new Descent thing is established (which could be one reason they were retired) or that maybe just maybe the new thing bridges different play formats, I've theorized on the possibility- don't know if they'd do it and nothing to suggest they have, but I've always said it would be smart to use that overlap between games, something they teased about LOTRJ does make me wonder if they're thinking along the same 'different ways to play' lines, a similar logic thus being possible for other titles, but it's such a wild guess the arrow might be in the next field rather than just missing the target.

Whatever happens I don't think the likes of Battlelore et al really are wrapped up totally forever, I think there will be something, maybe as with Descent not for some time, also if the new title does do well it could revive interest in Terrinoth enough to do something that builds on those past games.

I think the new Descent 'mystery what-is-it thing' will be good though whatever it is and it will be down to how well they promote it.

Yes, overlapping both different games from the same universe has so much potential. They could even allow to use figures from one game in another. Like making units from Battlelore usable as monster groups in Descent... Or making Descent heroes usable as champions/generals in Battlelore. All they would need is make miniatures of similar scale, as well as printing a couple of additional cards.

This is where I wonder if they're going with retiring the other games, might not be the case but they've done it in the past, the 'war is coming' tease made me wonder if they're doing it with LOTRJ in future, until I thought 'war of the ring', but then it has been designed with battle in mind so it could be a bit of both. It actually makes sense in such a competitive market to fuse lines together- fans tend to do it anyway, it broadens the potential player base and it gives a greater flexibility to how you play, add in things that allow fans to design stuff and you've covered most bases.

The only risk is it's trickier and more work to implement and there's the logistics of how to implement it.

Terrinoth is a perfect setting for it though.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon