Advise on how Force Enhance upgrades work?

By captainbleb, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So my party is adamant that purchasing upgrades to Force Enhance re: long distance jumping means that they do not need to activate the basic power by doing an athletics or coordination check first, they simply roll force dice and if they get light side points or want to spend dark side points, just automatically succeed in their jump.

Is that a correct interpretation of of how Force Enhance works? To my understanding, you have to have success with an athletics check before you can use an upgraded form of Force Enhance to perform a given feat.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, captainbleb said:

So my party is adamant that purchasing upgrades to Force Enhance re: long distance jumping means that they do not need to activate the basic power by doing an athletics or coordination check first, they simply roll force dice and if they get light side points or want to spend dark side points, just automatically succeed in their jump.

Is that a correct interpretation of of how Force Enhance works? To my understanding, you have to have success with an athletics check before you can use an upgraded form of Force Enhance to perform a given feat.

Yes. This has been clarified by the devs in the past. The “Force Leap” Control upgrades change how Enhance works, super ceding the base power.

The Enhance power works in three different ways (and their variants), unlike many other powers where the basic version must be activated first.

The upgrades on the right side of the tree are all for the Force Leap action (or manoeuvre), and work as the long version of Force Leap and its upgrades describe. No separate Athletics check is required.

The basic power and most of the upgrades on the left/middle of the tree simply add the user's current Force dice to the relevant skill check. For example, if a user has bought the Piloting (Planetary) upgrade, then no Athletics check is required before adding Force dice to the Piloting (Planetary) skill check. I.e., no need to do 50 push-ups suddenly during a chase scene before continuing to drive an airspeeder through the crowded city traffic.

The upgrades at the bottom of the left/middle of the tree each require that the user commits one (or more) Force dice as a specific action.

ETA: Ninja'ed by Tramp! :)

Edited by Bellona
Wording

The thing about Enhance is that the basic power isn't actually a Force power check, it just allows you to add Force dice to certain skills.

Most, if not all, of the other powers have an actual Force power that it takes a check to activate. In a way, the basic Force Leap control upgrade makes more sense as the basic Enhance power because it is an actual Force power you have to trigger.

Thanks all for clarifying, I live and learn :) .