New Starships

By Calenath, in Star Wars: Armada

Does anyone know if FFG plans to keep producing new ships for the existing Galactic Alliance series? I know Clone Wars is on the horizon and I'm totally on board with that, but I'm curious will we continue to get new content for Rebels and Imps? Ton of source material from the RPG's, most notably West End Games Rebel Alliance sourcebook and the Imperial sourcebook. I think the Corellian Gunship would be a great small size vessel to add to the rebels. Great anti-starfighter platform. For the Imps they could produce the Lancer-class frigate which served a similar purpose for the Imperials or the Carrack-class cruiser which would be a medium-size but still good stuff. Thoughts?

They said previously that they do, but Clone Wars is prioritized right now so it could be a couple waves or so before anything explicitly GCW is released.

Expect 80% CW 20% GCW is what FFG said until CW era is built up a bit.

Cool thanks guys!

Yeah they said we won’t see any GCW for about 18 months maybe 2 years. (Like that’s new). All clones all the time

2 hours ago, Packerman29 said:

Yeah they said we won’t see any GCW for about 18 months maybe 2 years. (Like that’s new). All clones all the time

Where and when did they say that?

Aside from the CW sets we already know about, what else are we likely to see?

Malevolence (huge base?)

Lucrehulk (also huge?)

Possibly another fighter pack for both factions

A Rogues & Villains style fighter pack

I’m actually struggling to think of any other Republic ships apart from the Arquitens.

There are some legends material they could use. Cannon wise the victory saw action at the very very end of the Clone Wars... The Stealth ship from season one of The Clone Wars will likely show up. There are a few CIS ships that I have dug up. Let me see what I can find...

Well, has there been an "official" mention of the Venator for the Republic, or the Providence-class for the Separatists? Those are two obvious large ships.

Yes, images of both were shown as wave 2 for CW era at the end of FFG’s armada livestream

The D-H Omni support vessel could be a cool ship for the CIS.

3 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

Yes, images of both were shown as wave 2 for CW era at the end of FFG’s armada livestream

Oh, cool. I missed that one, thanks.

15 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

Aside from the CW sets we already know about, what else are we likely to see?

Malevolence (huge base?)

Lucrehulk (also huge?)

Possibly another fighter pack for both factions

A Rogues & Villains style fighter pack

I’m actually struggling to think of any other Republic ships apart from the Arquitens.

Republic:
Flotilla - CSS-1 Corellian Star Shuttle , CR-20 Trooper Carrier (Legends)

Small - C70 Charger, Pelta-class Frigate, Arquitens Cruiser , Paladin-class Corvett e, DP20 Frigate , CR70 Corvette ,

Medium - Acclamator-class Assault Ship, Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser (Legends) ,

Large - Venator-class Star Destroyer

Huge - Praetor Mk. II (Legends)

CIS:

Flotilla - C-9979 Landing Craft , Gozanti-class Cruiser , Trident-class Assault Ship

Small - Hardcell-class Transport, Diamond-class Cruiser , Umbaran Support Ship

Medium - Munificent-class Starfrigate, Recusant-class Light Destroyer, DH-Omni Support Vessel ,

Large - Providence-class Destroyer, Sabaoth Destroyer (Legends) ,

Huge - Lucrehulk-class Battleship , Subjugator-class Heavy Cruiser ,

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

The C70 Charger will be one of the 2 versions of the Consular-class Cruiser.

Consular-class Charger C70 | Star Wars: Armada Wiki | Fandom

It's possible the CR70 Corvette could be a Republic ship, but I think it would be too similar to both the Consular and CR90 to justify its existence. Especially considering that the Consular-class C70 Charger has better side arcs than the CR90: 2 Reds instead of 1 Red and 1 Blue, so I'm not sure how the CR70 Corvette could improve on the C70 while still being inferior to the CR90 in some respects. If the CR70 is ever released for the Republic, it will be in a late Wave, after the run out of good ideas.

As for the Separatists, the second version of the Hardcell Transport is apparently a "Support" ship and has the Fleet Support slot, so it's possible the Separatists don't need flotillas.

Also, the Republic will be getting the Pelta Frigate in Q1 2021, and my prediction is that instead of the Fleet Command slot, it will have the Fleet Support slot; so the Republic probably won't need flotillas either.

Finally, the Praetor-II was an Imperial battlecruiser. The Praetor-I battlecruiser existed during the Clone Wars era.

latest?cb=20120425001005

Regardless, I hate the Praetor-II's design -- and presumably the Praetor-I is similar -- specifically its ugly giant cylinder on the dorsal spine. That thing is as ridiculous as it is uninspired. I swear I've seen that shape before. I originally thought it might be the cylinder on the back of a Stormtrooper's armour, but it's different. But I'm certain it's recycled from something else from Star Wars. The rest of the Praetor isn't bad. It might be acceptable if FFG reworked the design and got rid of that stupid cylinder. We've seen what they did with the Starhawk and Onager.

Another possibility is the Mandator-II, which is another ugly huge ship (it looks like a paddle board!) from the Clone Wars era, but it has potential if redesigned by FFG.

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Plz FFG make this donut happen. Two large bases next to each other, squadron value of 6.

1 hour ago, Revan Reborn said:

Regardless, I hate the Praetor-II's design -- and presumably the Praetor-I is similar -- specifically its ugly giant cylinder on the dorsal spine. That thing is as ridiculous as it is uninspired. I swear I've seen that shape before. I originally thought it might be the cylinder on the back of a Stormtrooper's armour, but it's different. But I'm certain it's recycled from something else from Star Wars. The rest of the Praetor isn't bad. It might be acceptable if FFG reworked the design and got rid of that stupid cylinder.

I always thought the cylinder looked cool... 😢

9 hours ago, Revan Reborn said:

It's possible the CR70 Corvette could be a Republic ship, but I think it would be too similar to both the Consular and CR90 to justify its existence. Especially considering that the Consular-class C70 Charger has better side arcs than the CR90: 2 Reds instead of 1 Red and 1 Blue, so I'm not sure how the CR70 Corvette could improve on the C70 while still being inferior to the CR90 in some respects. If the CR70 is ever released for the Republic, it will be in a late Wave, after the run out of good ideas.

I suspect as much, it won't be one of the top priorities, especially with Bail Organa looking to be in the base set but it is an option if they need more ships to pull from, and is canon.

As for the Separatists, the second version of the Hardcell Transport is apparently a "Support" ship and has the Fleet Support slot, so it's possible the Separatists don't need flotillas.

Again, its more of an option for them to add more ships. The C-9979 Landing Craft and Trident are memorable, while the Gozanti also have the whole pirate raiding aspect from X-Wing for them to play with.

Finally, the Praetor-II was an Imperial battlecruiser. The Praetor-I battlecruiser existed during the Clone Wars era.

latest?cb=20120425001005

Regardless, I hate the Praetor-II's design -- and presumably the Praetor-I is similar -- specifically its ugly giant cylinder on the dorsal spine. That thing is as ridiculous as it is uninspired. I swear I've seen that shape before. I originally thought it might be the cylinder on the back of a Stormtrooper's armour, but it's different. But I'm certain it's recycled from something else from Star Wars. The rest of the Praetor isn't bad. It might be acceptable if FFG reworked the design and got rid of that stupid cylinder. We've seen what they did with the Starhawk and Onager.

Another possibility is the Mandator-II, which is another ugly huge ship (it looks like a paddle board!) from the Clone Wars era, but it has potential if redesigned by FFG.

I should have listed the Praetor Mk 1, but mostly wanted to have the links easily lead towards pictures of the ships on wookiepedia and the Praetor Mk 1 didn't have an image associated with it.

19 hours ago, Revan Reborn said:

None of the Mandators have a Legends depiction, the Bellator does and is described as based on the Mandator I and II, and a conceptual cousin to the Mandator III. So a Legends accurate model would look similar to the Bellator.

732?cb=20120425234106

However Canon gave us the Mandator IV...

latest?cb=20181015041722

So if FFG is allowed to make an official model of the Mandator I or II it would likely be similar to the Mandator IV in appearance minus the giant cannons.

2 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

None of the Mandators have a Legends depiction, the Bellator does and is described as based on the Mandator I and II, and a conceptual cousin to the Mandator III. So a Legends accurate model would look similar to the Bellator.

732?cb=20120425234106

However Canon gave us the Mandator IV...

latest?cb=20181015041722

So if FFG is allowed to make an official model of the Mandator I or II it would likely be similar to the Mandator IV in appearance minus the giant cannons.

The Bellator is a great fanon ship design, but I disagree about the Mandator IV in the strongest possible terms.

If FFG chooses the Mandator series as the Republic's huge ship, I don't want it to look anything like the Mandator IV, which is an uninspired, idiotic design. It's just a giant flat triangular prism with a ridiculously oversized command tower, ineffective point-defense cannons only on the dorsal side, two giant cannons on the ventral side, and no practical anti-ship weaponry. Only the hack that wrote and directed the abortion The Last Jedi could've designed (or approved the design) of that abomination. Let it DIE!

This is the fan-created designed of the Mandator-II:

See the source image

It is a bad design and I hate it, but nowhere as much as I hate the Mandator IV.

I think if FFG uses the Bellator design as inpiration, bulks it up so that it's similar to the Mandator-II design, gets rid of the ugly curves and whatever those bulbs are on the prow, and basically make it look like the Venator's big brother, it could be a fantastic looking huge ship for the Republic.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:54 AM, Revan Reborn said:

If FFG chooses the Mandator series as the Republic's huge ship, I don't want it to look anything like the Mandator IV, which is an uninspired, idiotic design. It's just a giant flat triangular prism with a ridiculously oversized command tower, ineffective point-defense cannons only on the dorsal side, two giant cannons on the ventral side, and no practical anti-ship weaponry.

No arguments here, but you also forgot the giant bullseye in the center of the ship.

Honestly, there are design choices I love about all 3 that could make for an amazing ship.

The slightly curved hull of the Mandator II, The thick sides and prow of the Mandator IV, and most of the remaining design choices for the Bellator. Incorporated in the right way, you get a beastly looking ship with direct design links to all 3 trilogies and the EU. This is an opportunity, not something to be afraid of!

8 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

No arguments here, but you also forgot the giant bullseye in the center of the ship.

Yeah, that was dumb too.

But the dumbest thing about that opening battle of TLJ was: Why did Poe even need to take out the Mandator IV's point-defense turrets?

Based on the visuals and all reference guides, those PD turrets were only on the dorsal side of the dreadnought. Why didn't the Resistance's terrible heavy bombers simply bomb the dreadnought's ventral side, where the cannons were located!? If the Mandator IV had a similar weakness as the Xyston, destroying its siege cannons would've blow up the entire ship. And even if it didn't have that weakness, bombing the siege cannons would've eliminated the immediate threat to the Resistance fleet, because the Mandator IV inexplicably didn't have any anti-ship weapons.

That's why IMO the Mandator IV is by far the worst designed warship in Star Wars history. I place 100% of the blame on Rian Johnson because he contrived that terrible battle sequence and either designed or approved the designs of the ships and bombers to make it play out the way it did, which was completely devoid of logic, reason, or military tactics. I 100% believe that a 5 year-old playing with Star Wars toys and just smashing the plastic ships into each other would've had a more sensible battle plan than we saw on-screen in TLJ.

The Bellator is quite a pretty ship which somewhat fits right into SW aesthetics. At first I somehow thought the command ship in RoS is one but of course not.

1 hour ago, Gräfin Zeppelin said:

The Bellator is quite a pretty ship which somewhat fits right into SW aesthetics. At first I somehow thought the command ship in RoS is one but of course not.

Fractalsponge makes great designs in my opinion, better than Lucasfilm in many cases. He just did his take on the Gladiator here:

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=5234

gladiator33.jpg

gladiator36.jpg