No'a's Ark

By intothenight, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

To facilitate the character choices of a PC, I need to make room on their ship for a barely-tame narglatch. I've been handwaving that the party found a good nature preserve where they can drop it off and pick it up, but I'm thinking I need to do more.

I was thinking of converting an unused crew quarters into a stable. It shouldn't be as ideal as the open air, but I want to sci-fi it up so that it would be reasonably comfortable for a space panther thing. I think it would make sense for the ship to lose crew capacity and maybe some encumbrance threshold rather than giving it a hard point cost. Is that fair, or should I demand they undo one of their existing attachments to make room for a giant litter box and scratching post?

As for flavor, what should this crew-quarters-turned-stable hold? I was thinking some kind of holoimage projector coupled with a treadmill or hamster wheel, so the narglatch can stretch its legs without getting cabin fever. Obviously some sort of food and water dispenser. But what else should there be? What kind of deluxe options might be available, and would they have any tangible benefit?

And above all, how many credits should my PCs have to spend on this? Help me house rule a way of housebreaking a big, scary predator.

Edited by intothenight

What ship is it? How much room is there?

8 hours ago, intothenight said:

To facilitate the character choices of a PC, I need to make room on their ship for a barely-tame narglatch. I've been handwaving that the party found a good nature preserve where they can drop it off and pick it up, but I'm thinking I need to do more.

I was thinking of converting an unused crew quarters into a stable. It shouldn't be as ideal as the open air, but I want to sci-fi it up so that it would be reasonably comfortable for a space panther thing. I think it would make sense for the ship to lose crew capacity and maybe some encumbrance threshold rather than giving it a hard point cost. Is that fair, or should I demand they undo one of their existing attachments to make room for a giant litter box and scratching post?

As for flavor, what should this crew-quarters-turned-stable hold? I was thinking some kind of holoimage projector coupled with a treadmill or hamster wheel, so the narglatch can stretch its legs without getting cabin fever. Obviously some sort of food and water dispenser. But what else should there be? What kind of deluxe options might be available, and would they have any tangible benefit?

And above all, how many credits should my PCs have to spend on this? Help me house rule a way of housebreaking a big, scary predator.

The Wayfarer would have room.

10 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

What ship is it? How much room is there?

Loronar E-9 Explorer from Enter the Unknown

Silhouette 4, 4 Crew, 4 Passengers, Encumbrance 60

Edited by intothenight

Oh. That's small.

That's probably too small for a less than tame Narglatch.

As for hamster wheel, that wouldn't work, it'd be too tall. Treadmill is an okay alternative, but it still has its drawbacks. Looking at deckplans (posted below in case they are of use to you), there is no spot that would really work well for it. Best way to get it on board would probably be through the cargo lift, and that's if it fits. From there, I'm not sure you'd be able to get it up to the main part of the ship.

For just transporting it, most viable way would be to stick it in a cage in the cargo hold and then keep an eye peeled for PETA-funded bounty hunters.

I hate to be a wet blanket on this, but that's how it looks to me.

I'm estimating the port cargo hold at 15 meters at the longest, or 10 meters at the longest that doesn't bump up against the cargo lift. Guessing roughly 40 square meters of usable space.

I had thought the ship was smaller than it is, but even still. A full-grown Narglatch is 6.23 meters. That's not a lot of space.

5956e3bd983a8_ExplorerEng.jpg.d302c1c822a3e22ca7f1ccf871dfe1a9.jpg

Lots of tranquilizers (some for the animal too!), a sturdy cage, and a quick trip!