First impressions Shadowed Paths

By cybrweez, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

My son, daughter and I started the new campaign. Gandalf/Meddler, Arwen/Herbalist, Balin/Delver. 4 missions in we're loving it. We've beaten both earlier campaigns on hard, so we decided to stick with hard, and it's been a good challenge. We won 2 and lost 2, and chose the Moria option first (I love Dwarves :) ). Now just starting the Mirkwood option. Our attack options aren't great with this group, and that's hurt us in the 2 adventures we lost. Looking forward to finishing out the campaign though and trying other heroes/roles.

Just a tip for if you decide to use the same heroes in the future. I like to use Gandalf with a sword and walking stick to start with, since the sword can upgrade to use Wisdom which allows him to dual-wield.

18 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Just a tip for if you decide to use the same heroes in the future. I like to use Gandalf with a sword and walking stick to start with, since the sword can upgrade to use Wisdom which allows him to dual-wield.

Plus if you put one of his several double-fate-icon skills on top of your deck while scouting, and have enough inspiration, you can attack with the sword and do fairly consistent damage even with the might stat.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

I just wish there was a single hand weapon that does spirit so I can match it with the Horn or Harp

19 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

I just wish there was a single hand weapon that does spirit so I can match it with the Horn or Harp

Yeah, the harp isn’t terrible because taking an action to stun can be well with it, but the horn‘s lethal doesn’t do anything unless you’ve got some janky build with a lot of strike abilities 😂

Presumably it’s just future-proofing, so maybe the next big expansion will have a 1-handed spirit option for a weapon.

Edited by SpiderMana
23 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah, the harp isn’t terrible because taking an action to stun can be well with it, but the horn‘S lethal doesn’t do anything unless you’ve got some janky build with a lot of strike abilities 😂

I think I'm going to roll Eleanor, Captain, Dagger, Horn. I really wish the horn used Wit. I'm debating going Banner instead for the option to Cleave but it might not be needed. Depends on what the other players choose but overall I think Horn is more likely to generate inspiration to compensate for Eleanor's average stats.

Eleanor's ability to use 1 Inspiration to convert 2 Fate is pretty amazing. She also has ways to inspire herself, convert fate to success and reveal 3! additional cards on a test. Matched with Captain to scout or strike could really stack a deck while exploiting Fate to successes and could really max out dagger damage. I mean, look at Widow's Warning [a dagger]. It wants to exploit card draws.

Edited by Thaeggan

We did use Stick and Sword for Gandalf, and he's pretty good. On Normal level, I assume he's a beast b/c of the inspiration from exploring, but we did Hard. Just finished chapter 9, have still only lost 2 adventures, but each one has been close, except 9, we won quick, but I think there's a bug b/c it didn't end, will create separate topic. Overall a good challenge though, it's been worth it.