Wat Tambor and Aces High

By urloony, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I'm finally getting around to playing epic battles and multiplayer. I watched the FFG multiplayer game demo to get an idea of how to play. The group played the Aces High scenario and Evan plays Wat Tambor and repeatedly uses his reroll ability:

"While you perform a primary attack, you may reroll 1 attack die for each calculating friendly ship at range 1 of the defender."

He is also playing Kraken: "During the End Phase, you may choose up to 3 friendly ships at range 0–3. If you do, each of these ships does not remove 1 calculate token."

There are no other friendly ships anywhere on the table, since each player only has one ship. Is Wat Tambor considered his own "friendly" for the purposes of his ability? If not, then choosing Wat and Kraken makes no sense in the context of the game demo, and Evan ends up winning the match!

What am I missing here? Any rules clarification would be great.

Ships are indeed friendly to themselves.

To answer your question, a ship is indeed friendly to itself.

🍻

Sometimes, you'll see an ability that will refer to "other friendly ship." Wat Tambor isn't one of those. He counts himself.

340?cb=20180618164825 340?cb=20180914003609

OK, so Blount is a little different but that gets the point across.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, theBitterFig said:

Sometimes, you'll see an ability that will refer to "other friendly ship." Wat Tambor isn't one of those. He counts himself.

340?cb=20180618164825 340?cb=20180914003609

OK, so Blount is a little different but that gets the point across.

Excellent. Thank you for the explanation. I had never made the distinction between "friendly" and "other friendly" ships.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, urloony said:

Excellent. Thank you for the explanation. I had never made the distinction between "friendly" and "other friendly" ships.

It goes similar for range.

latest?cb=20181110012148

Kraken also works on himself since its just "Friendly" (vs other friendly) and range 0-3 instead of 1-3, as ships are also range 0 of themselves.