Fun Facts in Descent

By AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Oh, did not know that @ComtriS . It seems that it was already doomed by the time they announcement it :D . It would be great if someone could find screenshots (which they had on their web), since their website is already down and I did not find any :(

Well, to add some more fact:

29) To extends Fact 3 and Rugals 2.1 ...

On 7/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

3) Did you know that even though most of the items from the first edition are included in the second edition, there are still some missing,...

On 7/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, rugal said:

1) Did you knew that some relics of the 2nd edition weren't in the 1st ? Like the Dawnblade (but more too) was a the "Stone cutter" gold item (no images found sorry :( ) , and that the "Armor of elder kings", "Death touch rune" and "Cloak of time and space" were lost ? (but you can find them in my custom campaign "oath of the anvil"

... these are unused artworks in Descent 2nd of items from Descent 1st from Altar of Despair , Base Game , Tomb of Ice and Well of Darkness . Excluding Road to Legend and Sea of Blood , because I dont have scans of those and also exlcluding all the runes.

unused_artworks.jpg?pub_secret=df650c496

1: Aldars Mirror, Amulet of Healing, Archers Charm, Axe of Returning, Barded Blade, Blade of Light, Bo Stick, Bracers of Might
2: Crystal Shield, Dragon Scale Mail, Enchanted Breastplate, Eyes of Thara, Falcon Claws, Flute of Repose, Flying Death, Glass Armor
3: Knuckle Dagger, Lodestone, Magic Bow, Mirror Shield, Mithril Breastplate, Morning Star, Pack of Holding, Ring of Quickness
4: Ring of Rogues, Robe of Shadows, Scullcracker, Serpent Blade, Sheath of Might, Shield of the Warrior, Soulbiter, Spirit Spear
5: Staff of Knowledge, Staff of Punishment, the Cloak of Time and Space, Throwing Knife, Trueshot, Walking Stick, Wings of Regiroth, Wishing Ring

Page 3, fact 30! 🥳 🎉

30) Some items have evolved in Descent! For example few (there are much more) - Serpent Blade become Dagger , Bearded Blade become Axe and Throwing Knives have new artwork

serpant.jpg?pub_secret=22d8c9f4d1 bearded.jpg?pub_secret=af0775a0fd throwing_knives.jpg?pub_secret=09318863a1

Plenty of artworks are shared between Terrinoth games and usually they are exactly the same. But not Archaic Scroll , which have different background in Battlelore and also in Rune Age: Oath and Anvil

archaic_scroll.jpg?pub_secret=d53db893ad

Edited by AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark

Yes, I find adding a beard to ones axe definitely makes it more lethal :) Serpent dagger: are those uthuk at it again with their weaponised snakes?!

But back to the fun facts on all things Terrinoth I think I've found a bit of an easter egg- I'm sure I can't be the first to spot it (I did google a few terms but didn't get any hits but surely somebody has spotted this one before I did, maybe not though)

You'll need to find a copy of the Outland Scouts unit expansion for Runewars Miniatures to take a look at this- the back of the box has an An-gry looking, raging, blade wielding outland scout. If you 'asked me anything' about this image I'd say the face, you could say the head, looks a little familiar and this is possibly the case also with one of the model sculpts. The artwork is also on the unit card.

Which makes me wonder if any other artwork features any other somewhat special characters....

Plus FFG, the new Descent thing, if your artists should ever need any face to 'borrow' for inspiration please drop my modest ego a line :)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
sssssnakessss
10 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Yes, I find adding a beard to ones axe definitely makes it more lethal :) Serpent dagger : are those uthuk at it again with their weaponised snakes?!

😂 . **** uthuks! They don't even appear in the game, but still put snakes everywhere 😆

10 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

But back to the fun facts on all things Terrinoth I think I've found a bit of an easter egg- I'm sure I can't be the first to spot it (I did google a few terms but didn't get any hits but surely somebody has spotted this one before I did, maybe not though)

You'll need to find a copy of the Outland Scouts unit expansion for Runewars Miniatures to take a look at this- the back of the box has an An-gry looking, raging, blade wielding outland scout. If you 'asked me anything' about this image I'd say the face, you could say the head, looks a little familiar and this is possibly the case also with one of the model sculpts. The artwork is also on the unit card.

This is the image:
outlandscout_back_art.jpeg?pub_secret=21

I have no idea who that should be ... Which character from Descent it reminds you?

32 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

I have no idea who that should be ... Which character from Descent it reminds you?

Jonas the Not So Kind?

Not a Descent/Terrinoth character but a character linked to Descent/Terrinoth- I'll let you keep sleuthing- there are a couple of clues in my post- you have to literally think outside the box :)

"the back of the box has an An -gry looking, raging, blade wielding outland scout. If you 'asked me anything' about this image I'd say the face, you could say the head , looks a little familiar"

Aug 30, 2019..... That might na r ro w it down a bit :)

Oh, Okey.

Namnl-s.png

Edited by Dadler93
1 minute ago, Dadler93 said:

Oh, Okey.

Namnl-s.png

Yup. Can't be coincidence?

Did you know our favorite store owner is drawn by Felicia Cano who had provided quite a few concept art pieces for Descent 1st edition, Runebound and Runewars?
d1ak96g-4c97b987-742f-41f7-b881-9fdfdf11

Thank you all for more contribution! Keep this topic alive!

I added some more fun facts about the Vorakesh here:

Talking of artwork (we need to do a log of the artwork sometime with what's in which images and where!):

In Heirs of Blood (pages may differ as these are for hardback) page 13 and 68 shows you Sir Alric Farrow or whatever replaced him- yellowgold armour/blue sword guy- but I wonder how many people didn't pay too much attention to his perhaps truer, unmasked earlier form on page 3 as you sometimes take in a story more than its images? Plus Terrinoth really does do big shoulder pads :)

Merick has got his mask to be virus safe (also p13), but seriously, a virus would probably be more scared of Merick!

Wonder if the art-page dragon and rider are known and name-able page 24-5?

9 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Talking of artwork (we need to do a log of the artwork sometime with what's in which images and where!):

In Heirs of Blood (pages may differ as these are for hardback) page 13 and 68 shows you Sir Alric Farrow or whatever replaced him- yellowgold armour/blue sword guy- but I wonder how many people didn't pay too much attention to his perhaps truer, unmasked earlier form on page 3 as you sometimes take in a story more than its images? Plus Terrinoth really does do big shoulder pads :)

Merick has got his mask to be virus safe (also p13), but seriously, a virus would probably be more scared of Merick!

Enjoy them in hq:

farrows_1.jpg?pub_secret=ed8e38ab70 farrows_2.jpg?pub_secret=2ba8e595fe farrows_3.jpg?pub_secret=7ba5a3130e

alric.jpg?pub_secret=94b5e0bee8 eliza.jpg?pub_secret=24267a98e5

9 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Wonder if the art-page dragon and rider are known and name-able page 24-5?

@Bucho alredy talked about it here , secretly referencing this topic on BGG . Dragon is not named as far as I know.

Rider is also an unknown- think it's just generic art (I don't share people's complaint that it doesn't fit what's in the game- some art is just setting a scene, in this case that some people might have mastered the dragons of Terrinoth, not every bit of art need match a character, it fits fine for evoking the setting.)

Think the last pic with Eliza is the guards she killed rather than Alric but Alric is in the other four.

I've heard Eliza is also often seen around the time of halloween...... (fan projects)

Did you ever see the Nanok's art and figure are different ?

Nanok's artwork feature him with his hands and axes crossing in front of him where his figure is showing him breast open and arms opened ?

I'm almost sure it was done to avoid troubles by printing the miniature and spend less money because having a miniature like the art would be really complicated one, with 4 parts, where the official one can be made in a single one.

latest?cb=20171004172419&path-prefix=fr
9cd728638dd5d5e2bdbde7b78dd5ef8d.jpg

Edited by rugal

Good catch @rugal ! :)

Yeah some compromises have to be made, it is also easier to paint the miniature in this pose.

It is like Leoric of the Book crystal in the left hand and Widow Tarha talisman in the right hand. Miniatures are directly holding it in the hand instead of having it on some chain:
FFG_descent_second_edition_leoric_catell-ruz.jpg FFG_descent_second_edition_widow_orc_catell-ruz.jpg

Also Rendiel and Ravaella Lightfoot miniatures from Shadow of Nerekhall are in different pose than on the artwork:
Rendiel_full.jpg Ravaella_Lightfoot_full.jpg GS3FAov.jpeg

And Zyla have completely different head:
ZylaHM.jpg Zyla.jpg

Edited by AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark

Also probably links to there being different artwork at different times with some sculpts- maybe different designers for the minis too. If you don't mind things being a bit more fragile you can add extra details like magic swirls with green stuff or similar modelling material. I made some slime for an alien figure from its mouth to hand (I think I used varnish and a streak of the whatever-it-is plastic glue with some green paint mixed in before it set but it was a long time ago) Lasted ages before it finally broke- you may eventually have to redo it but this was many years later.

I always wondererd why Ravaella and Rendiel had so much different poses from their artwork

Same for Zyla, why changing her face ?

When we are talking about development changes...

Did you know that artwork for Krutzbeck from Treaty of Champions was changed during development? Probably because of a mistake we could see alternative version on the German version of the box:

descent_treaty.png

This artwork can be found in free Genesys Foundry Terrinoth Art Pack , enjoy!

terrinoth_17.jpg?pub_secret=406f4eea66