Custom Hero - Gristtun the Merry [Maze of the Drakon]

By AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Topic moved to BoardGameGeek!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2567626/gristtun-merry-custom-hero-maze-drakon

en_gristtun_front.jpg?pub_secret=1637be6b65 en_gristtun_back.jpg?pub_secret=4f6a20efd2

Czech version:
gristtun_front.jpg?pub_secret=6ca13adf18 gristtun_back.jpg?pub_secret=45e2963cbf

maze_of_the_drakon.png?pub_secret=526617

This hero (5/5) is part of the custom expansion Maze of the Drakon
this hero is in play-testing phase , you can expect play-test results later

maze_of_the_drakon_original.png?pub_secr

_bg.jpg?pub_secret=14a62f2488 _front.jpg?pub_secret=72dfb2825c

FAQ:

Can I use Hero Ability even If I already have items in two hands?
Yes, equipping restrictions are not limiting your Hero Ability.

Can I use Surge and abilities of weapon I am using during attack with Hero Ability?
Yes, for the duration of the attack it is considered that you have the weapon equipped.

Can I choose Relics while using Hero Ability?
Yes, Relics like Dawnblade are also weapons.

When I am adjacent to 2 other heroes, can I make first attack with #1 hero's weapon and then second attack with #2 hero's weapon in my turn?
Yes.

Does included 1 black defense die from the Heroic Feat counts in the heal?
Yes, all Shields rolled from the defense results are healed.

Does heal apply before or after I suffer damage from the attack?
Before, Hero recovers Hearts before the damage is dealt.

About:

I am integrating heroes from FFG Drakon 4th , which includes two heroes from the Descent box & rules art - Knight and Ranger and also great proxy for Tyrus . I wrap them under custom expansion "Maze of the Drakon " . Goal here is to make them interesting as much as possible, bringing something new to the game - I would rather have them weak with something new than overpowered.

Because Gaia , Aurora , Ravvis the Ranger and Ocvist the Dragonslayer are done, it is time to introduce last hero from this expansion. Even though this dwarf in the Drakon is called "Fighter", I decided to make him as a healer. Idea is to make unique gameplay with morph like ability and some kind of healing heroic. You should definitely play him as an Apothecary and call elixir tokens as beer tokens!

It would be much appreciated, if you leave any feedback, suggestion, find typo, fix bad wording, anything.

Artwork:

Like always we have art from Drakon 4th , but since I am not really fan of those, I decided to find a new one .

Used artwork is from David Kegg , who is making artworks for Hearthstone. It shares some similarities with the base game artist Charlène Le Scanff , who is also painting Hearthstone artworks nowadays.

To make connection with the Grisban and his Gristtun ability, I replaced his weapon with the Grisban axe. Also I tried to match the artwork more with the miniature.

Name:

In Drakon 4th he is only named as an "Fighter" and therefore we had to come up with some name. This time @Watercolour Dragon started this topic and community named him as:

Gristtun the Merry

Fluff text:

“Brother, how are you still thirsty? You already drank it all!”

Quote with reference to his brother Grisban and his quote: " All this killing is thirsty work. Drink with me! ".

Biography:

We have nothing from FFG - nothing in Descent and nothing in Drakon .

Idea is to create brother relationship with Grisban.

Yet to be written.

Stats:

Dwarfs share small mobility and big health pool and Gristtun should not be an exception.

3 Speed, 12 Health, 4 Stamina, 1 Gray defense.

Exactly same stats as Krutzbeck .
In comparison: we have Augur Grisom and Corbin with premium stats of 3 12 5 gray.

Attributes:

Based on the beer he is drinking, his Awareness and Willpower are definitely strengths.

4 Might, 2 Willpower, 4 Knowledge, 1 Awareness.

Unique attributes, Krutzbeck and Augur Grisom have 4 3 2 2 and Brother Glyr have 4 3 1 3.

Hero Ability:

To offer unique gameplay, I did want to integrate Chaos Beast s morph ability.

Each time you declare an attack, you may choose to attack with an equipped weapon of a hero adjacent to you.
- changed "an adjacent hero" to "a hero adjacent to you" for better clarification

With this ability you don't have to worry about buying weapons for this hero and you can fulfill your dream and go for a 2 equipped shields build!

Similar abilities:
Chaos Beast - Morph : When this monster attacks, it uses the dice of a figure (overlord's choice) in its line of sight. If a hero is chosen, the overlord may choose which of the hero 's equipped weapon to use. The monster cannot use any of the figure's other abilities, just the dice.

Wording based on:
Rules : Declare Weapon and Target: The attacking player chooses which of his equipped weapons to use for this attack and declares the target of the attack (a space containing an enemy figure). The player then compiles his attack dice into a pool.

In consideration was:
Using all adjacent heroes items.
Could be quite broken with trinkets and armors. Limited to weapons to reduce power level.

Remove 2 hands limit.
Could lead to some weird situations.

Heroic Feat:

Healers should heal, this is just an original way of doing it.

Use when you or a hero adjacent to you is attacked, after dice are rolled. Roll 1 black defense die and add Shield rolled to the defense results. Before this attack is resolved, that hero recovers Heart equal to all the Shield rolled in this attack .
- added "all" to clarify that heal is not just from an extra die, but from whole defense pool
- changed "gray" to "black" die

This is life saving heroic which scales with the armors and defense of your group. For the first time, shields are both defending and healing! Great synergy with Corbin .

Similar abilities:
Spiritspeaker - Stoneskin : When you or a hero within 3 spaces of you is attacked, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional gray die to that hero's defense pool.
Corbin : Use when attacked, before rolling defense dice. Instead of rolling your defense dice, place them showing any face you choose.
Elga The Pilgrim : Use when a hero within 1 space of you would suffer Heart equal to his Health from an attack, before being knocked out. That hero suffers no Heart from the attack.

Thank you for your time reading this ❤️ .
https://instagram.com/awesometree_in_the_dark

Edited by AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark

I like it, good work!

HA - "... an equipped..."

Fluff - "... drank..."

Good idea with the hf. Have you tried making it affect a hero within 1, 2, or 3 spaces? Would that be too good?

Thank you very much @wyatt606 ! Typos corrected :) .

I was thinking about making it " you or a hero within 3 spaces of you ", but since his Hero Ability is used with an adjacent heroes, I think that Heroic should too.
Also healers like Ispher and Rendiel have single heal heroics that also can be used only with an adjacent heroes.

Impressed by the artwork you find !

Hero ability looks like a bit too strong since he can never spend money to attack and break fragile balance offre the game and gold rewards.

Feat looks like an overlord card : diverses means. Can be rewrited easily as :

"Use when you or an adjacent hero iq attacked after dice are rolled. Roll 1 Grey defense die. Add 1 shield to the defense results for each shield and recover 1 heart for each shield on the die roll"

Since it is not precised it is after thé attack resolves you have to do it as it is played

3 hours ago, rugal said:

Impressed by the artwork you find !

Thanks! This artwork is definitely more merry than the original one :) .

Hero ability looks like a bit too strong since he can never spend money to attack and break fragile balance offre the game and gold rewards.

Yeah, that is the point of this ability, that you don't have to worry about buying weapons. It offers slightly unique gameplay, since you will always have to stay next to another hero to perform an attack.

Finally, two shields build is perfectly viable :D .

I do realize that it is quite strong, especially later in the campaign with relics, etc., that is why he does not have any other hero ability effects and he does not have premium stats like others dwarfs: Augur Grisom and Corbin .

And since he is an healer with low mobility and just "ok" stamina, I wouldn ' t say that it will break balance of the game.

Feat looks like an overlord card : diverses means. Can be rewrited easily as :

"Use when you or an adjacent hero iq attacked after dice are rolled. Roll 1 Grey defense die. Add 1 shield to the defense results for each shield and recover 1 heart for each shield on the die roll"

Since it is not precised it is after thé attack resolves you have to do it as it is played

That make sense, Diverse Means is slightly similar to this Heroic Feat. However hero heals not just for an extra gray die roll, but for the all shields rolled in the defense roll (+ the extra die).

I did separated the heal into new sentence, to make it clear that it includes all shields rolled and not just the ones from the extra die. I will include "all shields rolled in this attack / in the defense results " to make it more obvious.

Thank you!

may you give us the link to the artwork please ?

2 hours ago, rugal said:

may you give us the link to the artwork please ?

Yes of course.

Here is the original artwork: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rZ8d6

And here is modified version which I am using. I will probably make some more tweaks to it:

gristtun_artwork.png?pub_secret=d46a4bee

Liking this so far. I'm off for three days so I'll try and get some character bio ideas written while I'm off

Done and done!

_bg.jpg?pub_secret=14a62f2488
_front.jpg?pub_secret=72dfb2825c _front_wg_1.jpg?pub_secret=8c76adc1ec

Just one typo- 'the all' in last line > 'all the'. I like the hero ability- feels like something somebody of his nature might do in his shoes- could be played with some suitably dramatic Dwarven bravado, 'lend me your --insert weapon type-- and I'll teach you how to use it', the heroic feat makes him an interesting defensive kind of healer too which fits the potion brewer idea nicely, like he's upping their bravery and resilience.