[Bug] wrong character gets title (w/video)

By RefriedNoodle, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Yesterday we finished the 2nd adventure of the first campaign. We got to choose who would get the Nemesis title card, and picked Gimli. Player next to me witnessed me tap Gimli. However, in the camp screen, it appears Aragorn got it.

We saw this on iPad, but I reproduced it on Steam, and once more on iPad to make a recording of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t669n87d910nmym/RPReplay_Final1594281613.mov?dl=0

What are the consequences of this? The app does of course not provide a way to transfer a title card. We can easily just put the title card in Gimli's ziplock bag with his other cards, but are there any consequences to the app thinking someone else is carrying the title card?

I also noticed I can fairly easy modify the savegame file to give the correct player the title card, but I don't know what this might break.

Also, any chance of FFG fixing this?

Edited by RefriedNoodle

So, the only reason the app keeps track of titles, trinkets, etc. is to make it easier to set up the next time you play. If you are already organizing player decks in bags, you don’t have to worry about what the app says you have in your deck.
As far as I have heard (never tried it myself) it looks like there are no adverse affects from messing with the steam file. People have switched player counts and other things successfully using this method.

8 hours ago, RefriedNoodle said:

Yesterday we finished the 2nd adventure of the first campaign. We got to choose who would get the Nemesis title card, and picked Gimli. Player next to me witnessed me tap Gimli. However, in the camp screen, it appears Aragorn got it.

We saw this on iPad, but I reproduced it on Steam, and once more on iPad to make a recording of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t669n87d910nmym/RPReplay_Final1594281613.mov?dl=0

What are the consequences of this? The app does of course not provide a way to transfer a title card. We can easily just put the title card in Gimli's ziplock bag with his other cards, but are there any consequences to the app thinking someone else is carrying the title card?

I also noticed I can fairly easy modify the savegame file to give the correct player the title card, but I don't know what this might break.

Also, any chance of FFG fixing this?

Hm. Haven't had it happen personally, but if you're already storing the player cards separately, that should be fine. The app only needs to track who has which title as a reminder for you, as far as I know, so.

I have reproduced this bug twice on Android. It seems that the leftmost hero will always receive the Nemesis title. I haven't earned any other titles, so I don't know whether this bug is exclusive to Nemesis or more widespread. I've emailed FFG Software Support about it, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's not game-breaking by any means, but it is a minor annoyance.

Ok thanks all for the replies.

We didn't have the same problem with a title earned in the 3rd mission, that one went to the selected character. So it's likely a glitch in the script of the 2nd mission (as it happens across all platforms, apparantly).

Actually, there have been 2 updates for iOS since we played this mission. I have just tested it once, and this time the correct player got the title. So the bug may have been fixed.

It is of course not fixed for our current save, but I'll just hack the savefile and put the title card on the correct character, which seems possible on iOS after all.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:24 AM, RefriedNoodle said:

It is of course not fixed for our current save, but I'll just hack the savefile and put the title card on the correct character, which seems possible on iOS after all.

If you could post a link to your method of editing the save files on iOS, I would be one happy camper!

On 7/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, Aaron0013 said:

If you could post a link to your method of editing the save files on iOS, I would be one happy camper!

I have no link, but it's not difficult. All I did was hook up my iPad to my Mac, and from within Finder, you have access to each app's stored files. There is a folder called SavedGames. Drag it to the desktop, MAKE A BACKUP OF IT (in case you mess up) and look for the savegame file (there are two of them, I think one of them is a backup as it always has an older timestamp). Edit all you want, and drag it back to the iPad when you're done.

On Windows, it's just a little bit trickier: you need iTunes to access it. Go to your iPad (little button at the top when you connect), and there should be a label on the left called 'File sharing' or something. Find the JIME app, and you'll see the SavedGames folder on the right. I couldn't drag it directly to the desktop, but if you scroll down there is a 'Save'-button, and it'll let you save the folder to your computer. Again, make a backup, edit the savegame in notepad, and copy it back.

The savegame file is a JSON-file, and it adheres to some strict rules. I know my way around JSON files, but if you're careful and look at the structure of the file, you'll get the hang of it. I don't know the exact name of the section that has the title cards, but it was named something along the lines of 'AcquiredTitles' or something. The numbers in there correspond to the numbers at the bottom of the physical title cards (so Nemesis was 22). Just shift it around to the character you want, and you're done. JSON files are easy to mess up. Just make sure there is a comma *between* multiple numbers, but not after the last one.

Everything is at your own risk, of course. I suggest you don't do this to cheat, as it will ruin the fun of the game.

Thank you, thank you!