The new expansion looks good!

By C Vic20, in Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn

Certainly adds a lot of things; exploration, districts, governments, armies. All good stuff. Not sure how it addresses the ending though. It's a great game I just want the ending to be the climax and not leave me with the "Oh I guess it's over...." feeling.

take_my_money.gif !

Seriously can't wait for this. The expansion turns a 3X game to a 4X. Plus another player and a bit more depth... It's like civ 2010, but with hexes instead of those awful squares.

I will certainly be first in line to get this. Really like the game and I'm excited for this.

Yeah, I really like the sound of exploring and customising your civ.

Ah! So excited for this!! I’ve been freaking out about this expansion from the second there was a hint at it existing. That being said, could I have a glimpse at when the release date is? I’m trying to manage my excitement and I need to know if we’re thinking a couple months, six months, next year? If anyone knows, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

On 7/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, C Vic20 said:

It's a great game I just want the ending to be the climax and not leave me with the "Oh I guess it's over...." feeling.

Something I’ve done to eliminate that is make it a timed game. You can still pick the victory goals in the beginning, but I’ve found it’s so much more fun to wait until the timer goes off to randomly select/reveal the three goals then see which player accomplished the most goals in total among all three cards. This way, there’s an exciting risk factor and you can play the game any way you want in hopes that your strategy pays off.

I hope that the expansion fixes the unbalance issues with the main game. Mostly that the main game favors heavily military strategy. It's always best to build military wonders and select few of the economy wonders. The others can be forgotten. Then just attack, attack and attack. Defending is difficult and expensive compared to attacking.

The best part of the game is the focus row mechanic and it also has some solid mechanics in addition to that. So if the expansion fixes the balance and buffs other style of play, I'd be really happy. Because then I would get a boardgame that I want to play and it's quicker than most Civ games, so it's easier to find time for it.

TLDR: I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by Elrath'

Again, having tested it, I would personally say that military definitely takes a bit of a hit (although imo it's still my favorite strategy), and the ending becomes much smoother due to another agenda mechanic they introduce (I don't think they've talked about it yet so I'll keep quiet).

Those were just my experiences with it though, I'm sure mileage can vary. But the ending is a massive improvement, and the army mechanism makes attacking slightly weaker (can't just drop down attacks wherever).

Edited by Supertoe

I'm probably blind, but when is the expansion due to come out? My son keeps asking if I've found out yet - it's his new favorite game!

I keep checking the Upcoming list, hoping to see it on there so I'll have an idea of when it will release. Games announced after this expansion are on there (TI4 expansion, Star Wars expansions, and new X-Men game), but so far nothing for this one.

I would guess late November, based on their past release schedules? But I have no clue.

Waiting for the solo variant 😀