2 new descent novels and a new edition of the Board game

By mulletcheese, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Oh my god, that looks soooo cool. Shut up and taky my money... take all of it

11 minutes ago, Oak tree said:

The side is stylised as a stain glass, which is telling some story events. Not sure if that was a good idea, but it is what it is.

Yeah by looking at it it is also my conclusion.
So, i am less nervous about it now...
Some kind of fresco but in some way poorly done.

1 minute ago, Tintaglia said:

Yeah by looking at it it is also my conclusion.
So, i am less nervous about it now...
Some kind of fresco but in some way poorly done.

In "New Descent product teased" topic you can read more about those frescos ;)

9 hours ago, Oak tree said:

The side is stylised as a stain glass, which is telling some story events. Not sure if that was a good idea, but it is what it is.

They did that some in realms of terrinoth and it turned out ok. Here's hoping they didn't screw up that gimmick this time.

13 hours ago, Oak tree said:

Has anyone also noticed that the box is of the unusual size, with shorter lid, like in Scythe The Legendary Box? My gaming group has some concerns about its transportability. I personally don't mind.

The Ultimate Boardgame Backpack

The Ultimate Boardgame Backpack if you have $150 you haven't already spent on more games.

Hmm, maybe they are going to have to change their advertisement to "Yes, it even fits Descent (and nothing else)"

Edited by kris40k

On top of the 2 novels (announced in Mennara Universe) a 2nd setting book has been announced for Terrinoth for Genesys. First one was Realms of Terrinoth as you all know.

3 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

On top of the 2 novels (announced in Mennara Universe) a 2nd setting book has been announced for Terrinoth for Genesys. First one was Realms of Terrinoth as you all know.

Awesome news! I'll definently buy it. So far I'm happy with Genesys - it's a good way to use the mountain of minis from Descent 1-2 and Runewars TMG :)
Where can I read about this announcent?

Edited by Oak tree

They announced a Twilight Imperium book and another for Android during the Edge Studios live stream. (Neither of which got a name or a date, by the way.) All they said regarding Terrinoth was cheekily pondering about maybe doing something when FFG is working on something new in the setting, too. So yeah, there will be new Mennara material for Genesys, likely within half a year of the first release of Descent, but there's no further info out there.

I'm glad to see new Terrinoth material, even if a new $200 version of Descent is probably not something I'll buy when I haven't even gotten any expansions beyond Lost Legends for the old one. But every time a new Terrinoth game is released, it's a victory for those of us who support the old ones, in hopes of new material.

Wow! I didn't even know that there are novels. Are they good? It there a list of all novels somewhere?

They ares still to be released yet. Out in october and february.
in addition we ll get a new supplement for Realms of Terrinoth (Genesys RPG)

12 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

They ares still to be released yet. Out in october and february.
in addition we ll get a new supplement for Realms of Terrinoth (Genesys RPG)

That famous game that never came out in french ? 🥵

13 hours ago, Letanir said:

Wow! I didn't even know that there are novels. Are they good? It there a list of all novels somewhere?

The Doom of Fallowhearth

The Shield of Daqan

17 hours ago, Letanir said:

This is the background on the author of the books

ROBBIE MACNIVEN is a Highlands-native History graduate from the University of Edinburgh. He is the author of several novels and many short stories for the New York Times-bestselling Warhammer 40,000 and Age of Sigmar universe, and the narrative for HiRez Studio’s Smite Blitz RPG.

So, with that background, the book look promising.

9 hours ago, rugal said:

That famous game that never came out in french ? 🥵

Yeah this one 😀
Edge Studio has announced that it may be available for Spanish and French Market.
Now honestly i prefer to run DnD than Genesys/Realms of Terrinoth.
But for native speakers the book could be interesting for the lore and you never know, i may give Genesys Systema try.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:32 AM, TurboCooler said:

This is the background on the author of the books

ROBBIE MACNIVEN is a Highlands-native History graduate from the University of Edinburgh. He is the author of several novels and many short stories for the New York Times-bestselling Warhammer 40,000 and Age of Sigmar universe, and the narrative for HiRez Studio’s Smite Blitz RPG.

So, with that background, the book look promising.

and for second book: "DAVID GUYMER is a scientist and writer from England. His work includes many novels in the New York Times-bestselling Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 universes, notably Headtaker and Gotrek & Felix: Slayer, and the bestselling audio drama Realmslayer. He has also contributed to fantastical worlds in video games, tabletop RPGs, and board games." https://aconytebooks.com/?authors=david-guymer

We were promised 'a really deep dive into the lore' with the upcoming game (I've gone way down into that dragon-cave myself so it's awesome they might officially be doing so too). I'm curious now about will the novels still be 'journeys in the dark' branded or not? The Amazon listing's original wording (now changed, I've only seen it as it is now) is interesting, as mentioned saying "The Shield of Daqan: A Descent: Journeys in the Dark Novel, which will be released in February 2021." with some reference to introducing a new edition of the game. Now there have been theories this might change to the 'Legends of the Dark' branding but something sticks in my mind- the 'it's not a third edition per se' comments in previous responses from FFG (Navarro's AMA if I remember correctly), the Acolyte site currently still sticks with the 'journeys' variant and the JITD-linked BLUE version of the NEW logo: https://aconytebooks.com/shop/the-doom-of-fallowhearth-by-robbie-macniven/

https://aconytebooks.com/?worlds=descent

https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Daqan-Descent-Journeys-Novel-ebook/dp/B08BZYM3VG

It could be that this will switch to the new name/logo but the fact it contradicts itself possibly originally referencing the 'legends' new version makes me wonder, so it may tell us something when in October we know if it's still a 'journeys' novel or is rebranded a 'legends' novel, the latter would suggest this is indeed Descent third edition, but the former might actually suggest it being something that exists alongside 'Journeys', although it could just be that the novels were written too far before 'legends' to be fully tied in, they may bridge the two thematically but be written from a 2e perspective.

But I remain happy already- just the two novels and that box regardless of contents even if it were empty and I'm good, but I think it's going to be so much more. I'm not worried if it is/becomes a full box- my trusty dragon can carry it, when I find a place to get said trusty dragon- somewhere must sell them? My mate Dave says they're not real but what does he know?

Re second novel a Frederick is indeed in The Shadow Rune, in the first post-interlude encounter 'The Monster's Hoard', and is also one of Splig's prisoners in the opening adventure, but the only link is probably the character.

Don't think the first novel ties in - the baroness is briefly mentioned in Realms of Terrinoth so it seems this novel is its own story. Second novel likely is too as Ne'Krul is a new character we've not encountered before as far as I'm aware. So just some familiar characters rather than a story overlap I think.

Interestingly on the 'The Doom of Fallowhearth' cover it has "a new darkness" so this along with new enemy Ne'Krul in the other novel could hint at a new threat we've also not encountered before- which may or may not be in the games. Maybe a little hint at this 'new era' for the realm, a new era for the game?

Some RPG from team Edge maybe?" Now dive into the crucible to uncover the mysteries surrounding Keyforge and thwart the conflicts between the peoples of the Realms of Terrinoth." https://edge-studio.net/

Hype for dinner? Yes please, with a dragon breathing down my neck for dessert.

Dont Forget that today is the day : Descent : The Doom of Fallowhearth is AVAILBLE :wub:

1 hour ago, Tintaglia said:

Dont Forget that today is the day : Descent : The Doom of Fallowhearth is AVAILBLE :wub:

Update 2 : ebook IS available, thanks Tintaglia for confirming (still waiting for paperback personally as if get ebook now I won't get any of remaining jobs done today/tomorrow- procrastination waiting to happen :) )

Not yet- maybe later today or maybe they're slightly delaying due to something maybe on the 22nd? :) Keep 'em peeled as they say...

Amazon's saying 'The Doom of Fallowhearth: A Descent: Journeys in the Dark Novel Paperback – 26 Nov. 2020 '

- so possible delay to tie into 'legends' announcement and confirming trademark if it's changing to 'legends' which it may not be, only seen the other novel tied to the 'legends' brand, so much tease-hype :)

Not too clear if the ebook's available already (I'm waiting for paperback) so maybe worth checking

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Update 2

yeah i got it on my e book reader. I even had the time to go through some of the first pages. Looks very promising. :)

Novels through Aconyte, RPG through Edge, surely a very high possibility of Asmodee Digital being closely involved (please) ?

Sorry but the hype train has left the station- can't help but think if having worked on Gloomhaven the digital division joined the mix for something truly epic.... (especially if it had workshopping custom quest options), only risk is if there was a Gloomhaven-only agreement so as to not compete (not that it would, now I've seen digital Gloomhaven it's a very likely buy) thus they can't do it.

Crosses fingers then crosses crossed fingers, I get a feeling there could be an app mk2 or some digital Descent link, please let something like this happen to add to Descent's already epic proportions.

t minus 16 days and counting.... Oct 22nd until the lid's off that box, will it have some added app-grade? Obviously hopefully not to the detriment of the tabletop, but done right it could be the best of both, we shall see, if not FFG meeples please make this happen :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

First Descent novel pre-ordered from FLGS.... :)

(Yet more) minis and kit for my own Descent related side fan project adventure (opening of my bigger fan project) optimistically ordered (not FFG as the things aren't in their range and I have all current Terrinoth kit!, optimistically as sociaising is off limits until who knows when, but I am working on solo / distance play options!).

About to buy digital Gloomhaven early access.

Wallet quivering and giving me evil looks in corner. However inner explorer of Mennara and gamer very happy (I'd been saving up for the new kit which will ultimately give me the equivalent of a whole new very big box expansion for Descent second edition on a par with a whole new game, glad the kit hadn't gone out of print as it fits my idea for the beginnings of my project and its story arcs perfectly so I'd been waiting 'til I could get it. Will of course eventually be sharing this fan expansion content with options for the existing Descent / RWM minis as most people won't have the very specific ones I've got.

With the upcoming FFG 'Legends' box of mystery reveal and the fact I can finally kick off my huge fan project for second edition now I've confirmed my plans for and ordered the kit I was hoping to get for how I'll be bringing its beginning chapters to the tabletop plus the fact I'm super excited for the ideas I've got for them PLUS the novel coming I'm not actually sure I can take the maximum hype of the next few months. As a lover of fantasy gaming my cup very much runneth over and the banqueting table is long and laden with goodies.

Just hope Covid does one / gets vanquished so I can share them on the gaming table in the not too distant future as we hit 2021. For obvious reasons group gaming's still very much off the table for now, I do have things like Roll 20 though if we're still limited to internet stuff, so even if it doesn't work for the board game side of things it might be possible to do some RPG sessions online should we still be stuck with lockdowns/limits due to ye accursed pox.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
typo

I got the shipping notification from my local bookstore for my hard copy going out last night 🥳