Expansion Rumor Confirmed?

By BigKahuna, in Twilight Imperium

So recently there has been several online shops that have put up a Twilight Imperium expansion on pre-order yet there has been no official announcement from Fantasy Flight Games about it.

The expansion is called Prophecy of Kings, its listed at about 100 bucks in several places.

Since its not April 1st, has anyone heard any official confirmation of this product anywhere?

I didnt know about it, then I searched for it... and... you sir made my happy day. Just hopping that the spanish translation for the expansion doesnt take long :)

There is a big discussion about this on the relevant BGG and reddit channels, with a significant portion of the posters claiming this is (an elaborate) hoax. I am being an optimist here, because based on Andrew Navaro's statement in the AMA before this departure from FFG, the new approach is for FFG to invest in expansion development only for profitable products (my words, but the general take-away message). TI4 meets those criteria. There was the unconfirmed claim from a former employee (made at the time the RPG division was reorganized/closed) which left the impression that significant progress had already been made and an announcement was imminent. I've always treated that info as suspect because of the motivations behind violating a presumed NDA and the emotional turmoil associated with the layoffs that happened at the time. However, adjusting for the impact of COVID, the timing seems about right (especially with GenCon Online around the corner).

There has been an analysis of the grammar used in the copy, the "Internal Use Only" designation, street date claim of late November, the UPC code validity, quoted box size, content distribution and even the authenticity of the artwork. For every point, an almost equally reasonable counter-dismissal has been forwarded. The short answer is... no knows but the designers at FFG.

If there's not another leak (and it would have to show something new), then we'll most likely receive confirmation for/against on July 29th- the date of the FFG InFlight report which will be broadcast on Twitch.

I very much love this game, and would like to see more content for it. My wallet stands ready... 🤞

So...I have heard arguments for both sides. Considering the quality of the graphics and such out right now, I do think it is legit. The kind of software that it would take (along with the time involved) would be too high a cost for someone to go through all the trouble IMO. Is it possible, yes...but highly unlikely that it is a hoax. Another tally in the "legitimate" column is the fact that several retailers posted the information, albeit prematurely. The retail owners I personally know would not post anything without word from a manufacturer/vendor that something was coming down the pipe.

Also, keeping with the way FFG is keeping a tight lid on things nowadays, it makes sense that nothing has been announced yet. For example, we had no word about the TI4 reprint for a long time, until this year and it has been a pretty short timeframe from when it was announced until now where it seems products are on retailers' shelves.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on its legitimacy. Just my 2 cents.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:28 PM, tmr15 said:

There is a big discussion about this on the relevant BGG and reddit channels, with a significant portion of the posters claiming this is (an elaborate) hoax. I am being an optimist here, because based on Andrew Navaro's statement in the AMA before this departure from FFG, the new approach is for FFG to invest in expansion development only for profitable products (my words, but the general take-away message). TI4 meets those criteria. There was the unconfirmed claim from a former employee (made at the time the RPG division was reorganized/closed) which left the impression that significant progress had already been made and an announcement was imminent. I've always treated that info as suspect because of the motivations behind violating a presumed NDA and the emotional turmoil associated with the layoffs that happened at the time. However, adjusting for the impact of COVID, the timing seems about right (especially with GenCon Online around the corner).

There has been an analysis of the grammar used in the copy, the "Internal Use Only" designation, street date claim of late November, the UPC code validity, quoted box size, content distribution and even the authenticity of the artwork. For every point, an almost equally reasonable counter-dismissal has been forwarded. The short answer is... no knows but the designers at FFG.

If there's not another leak (and it would have to show something new), then we'll most likely receive confirmation for/against on July 29th- the date of the FFG InFlight report which will be broadcast on Twitch.

I very much love this game, and would like to see more content for it. My wallet stands ready... 🤞

Thanks, July 29th then!

On a related topic, there was a pre-order for a Descent: Journeys in the Dark novel that apparently spilled the beans about an upcoming Descent board game. The site has since been sterilized of any mention of this gaffe. So leaks happen, and I could easily see this happening with TI4.

Expansion rumors confirmed:

Wow! Beyond my expectations with all the new content that was previewed. Full unboxing segment on Friday! 🖖

Thank you, Dane! 🥂