Dock and Undock Autopilot Drone question

By topacesteve, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello, Autopilot Drone checks on System Phase if it is Undocked, so it loses one Charge.

Docking Rules state that if a ship at System Phase is at Range 0 Touching its mothership, it can Dock to it.

So is it possible at Round 1 to place Autopilot Deployed at Range 0 of Falcon, Lose 1 Charge and THEN Immediately Dock it on Falcon?

3 hours ago, topacesteve said:

Hello, Autopilot Drone checks on System Phase if it is Undocked, so it loses one Charge.

Docking Rules state that if a ship at System Phase is at Range 0 Touching its mothership, it can Dock to it.

So is it possible at Round 1 to place Autopilot Deployed at Range 0 of Falcon, Lose 1 Charge and THEN Immediately Dock it on Falcon?

personally i think its a yes

This has been discussed previously at some length without solid resolution here:

I think the main debate comes from whether something you opt into that comes from the Rules Reference counts as a "Player Ability" or a "Game Effect"

You can probably control the order since you do control both effects, but it could be interpreted that the 'abilities are written on cards' ruling means that everything in the Rules Reference is --by exclusion-- a "Game Effect" in which case Docking goes into the queue before removing a charge because it is not a card ability.

18 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

but it could be interpreted that the 'abilities are written on cards' ruling means that everything in the Rules Reference is --by exclusion-- a "Game Effect" in which case Docking goes into the queue before removing a charge because it is not a card ability.

You could also say that docking in some cases is an ability as its written on title cards.

latest?cb=20180625161953

You cannot dock an escape craft without this card soo....

4 hours ago, Lyianx said:

You cannot dock an escape craft without this card soo....

Agreed that the option to dock is definitely granted by a card ability, but the actual docking process (including its timing) comes from the Rules Reference. I'm still leaning towards 'you can control the order' but I wouldn't object to a ruling either way.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, nitrobenz said:

Agreed that the option to dock is definitely granted by a card ability, but the actual docking process (including its timing) comes from the Rules Reference. I'm still leaning towards 'you can control the order' but I wouldn't object to a ruling either way.

Isn't that a bit like saying 'the option to lock is granted by your action bar or ability, but the actually process of performing a lock comes from the rules reference'?

If you are talking about triggers specifically (ie, the cards are not controlling the timing of it) then Decloaking would be the same way, unless a card ability specifically told you to do it (Cloaking Device).