Solo League 23 -- LOTR Saga with LR/Angmar player cards

By dalestephenson, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

3 hours ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

Ghan-buri-Ghan, who I had held back for a fortitude test because he had nine will power, No longer had any will power since Mount doom was explored! 😐

I think that you can only send heroes (not allies) to the Fortitude tests anyway.

Ohh... totally missed that about heroes only.

I replayed the Mount Doom scenario, since I definitely did use allies for Fortitude tests before (though, I probably did not need to, but it is a bit hard to say afterwards). Still managed a win (95 Threat in the end). Heavy and Tired was a bit annoying, as it went to Elrond fairly early in the game (and even though it was during the first stage, it was the second card that was revealed after another treachery, so I could have cancelled it, even had A Test of Will, but no resource. 😅 ), making him unavailable for Fortitude tests, but the other three managed those pretty well (esp. once Galadriel and Gandalf both had an Unexpected Courage).

Bye
Thanee

Edited by Thanee

I replayed as well, and basically reversed my strategy, questing with allies and testing with heroes. Actually had a better game so still came out with two tokens

Only three days left (including today) for players who haven't done all the quests (like myself) to complete them! Here's how we did against Breaking of the fellowship (outside cards in parens):

0 bobbymcbobface (0)
0 skihorse4848 (12)
0 General_Grievous (17)
0 Alonewolf87 (22)
0 Fredmans74 (22)
0 Thanee (34)
1 philipneri (20)
1 MattK 22 (29)
2 Trumpet95 (15)

And cumulative:
0 bobbymcbobface (0)
0 skihorse4848 (12)
0 General_Grievous (17)
0 Alonewolf87 (22)
0 Fredmans74 (22)
0 Thanee (34)
1 philipneri (20)
2 Trumpet95 (15)
3 MattK 22 (29)

9 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

And cumulative:
0 bobbymcbobface (0)
0 skihorse4848 (12)
0 General_Grievous (17)
0 Alonewolf87 (22)
0 Fredmans74 (22)
0 Thanee (34)
1 philipneri (20)
2 Trumpet95 (15)
3 MattK 22 (29)

Too bad I couldn't stay in the top three for Mount Doom! I'm just proud that I did so good with 0 outside cards, not even using any Angmar Awakened cards. Just goes to show, the LOTR Saga Expansions definitely have had many powerful cards, especially heroes and allies.

13 hours ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

Too bad I couldn't stay in the top three for Mount Doom! I'm just proud that I did so good with 0 outside cards, not even using any Angmar Awakened cards. Just goes to show, the LOTR Saga Expansions definitely have had many powerful cards, especially heroes and allies.

You did awesome! I didn’t think it would be as easy as you made it to just take on with the chosen cards. Well done!

Mount Doom was not a good quest for my deck, it being quite ally based. Many attempts were lost early on, some from location lock, others threat, and one particularly memorable one due to a treachery-snuffler-snuffler surge train.

Eventually with 10 tokens I had enough cards in hand to play 5 allies on turn 2, flipping the contract and giving me the impetus to rush through the quest, despite the impending doom of having so many characters out! Fellowship Of The Ring also came in clutch. It was a close run thing, but I snuck through at 98 threat, winning the fortitude test by a single willpower, with Gollum and two of his orc mates primed to attack.

Mount Doom: 10 tokens.

Sorry for not posting the results on time. Here's the performances against Mount Doom (outside cards in parens):

0 General_Grievous (17)
0 Alonewolf87 (22)
0 Thanee (34)
2 bobbymcbobface (0)
4 Fredmans744 (22)
10 skihorse4848 (12)
10 Trumpet95 (15)
11 philipneri (20)

Unsurprisingly, this bears a close resemblance to the final standings:

0 General_Grievous (17)
0 Alonewolf87 (22)
0 Thanee (34)
2 bobbymcbobface (0)
4 Fredmans744 (22)
10 skihorse4848 (12)
12 Trumpet95 (15)
12 philipneri (20)

Congratulations to General_Grievous, who has finished first and gets to pick the cycle for September's League. Alonewolf87 finishes second and gets to pick a quest from that cycle to play, then Thanee gets to pick a quest to exclude. philipneri gets to pick a cycle for supplemental player cards.

Join us this month for KD/Dwarrowdelf, as we play Into the Pit, Road to Rivendell and Foundations of Stone.

Thanks guys! And thank you Dale for putting this on again!

Legolas Greenleaf long under tree in joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea! If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore, thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

It’s time to return to the sea and my favorite cycle and I choose Dreamchaser for next month.

It was another fun ride, I am glad to have picked up this. Thanks a lot to Dale for managing this.

I will choose (perhaps unsurprisingly) A Storm on Cobas Haven

Thanks again, for arranging this. I will surely delve too deep into the mountains for next month

Ok, then no Temple of the Deceived.

Bye
Thanee

RNG picks Raid on Grey Havens and The Drowned Ruins for the other two quests. Mandatory hero list is Galdor, Cirdan, Argalad and Na'asiyah

philipneri has picked VoI/Ringmaker to enable Argalad Silvan builds. I've also ruled that Na'asiyah can be used for the league despite the uniqueness conflict with her objective ally/enemy forms; I intend to carry that rule forward to prevent the same thing from happening to Amarthiul in Angmar. We all know the story already, so I see no point in closing off heroes for purely thematic reasons, especially when they're on the mandatory hero list.