Stumbled upon this interesting read...

By emsquared, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Aside from it's blatant rip-off and rehashing of prior tropes and plot, I didn't hate Force Awakens .

And while the Last Jedi had almost no redeeming qualities from what I can remember (I feel like I must've blocked most of it out cuz I couldn't even tell someone what the plot was if they asked), I really didn't mind Rise of Skywalker after it got past the space-Burning Man festival on Pasaana... y'know if you ignore the whole Emperor 40K-thing, and abandonment of previously developed plot, etc.

But this...

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-rumor-reset-sequel-trilogy-disney/

... this seem's a little extreme doesn't it?

Granted it's completely unsubstantiated rumor but...

Is the best way to try to fix your crapping-of-the-bed, and redeem the trust of your core fanbase, to just move the whole room out into the alley and try to convince ppl not to look back there?

Seems kind of a weird thing to do, that also just wouldn't work. You can't put the fart back in the cupped-hand.

I wasn't as excited about the High Republic as I could have been about a time period further back in the timeline, but I definitely think it was the right idea to just move on from the Skywalker-realm of the IP.

Anyone else see this?

Any Rebels experts see any validity in the theory? What was this Veil of the Force thing all about?

Would you want to see someone else take a crack at a Sequel(s)? Or is that not even an implication of this theory, given that the mouse has already announced the moving on into tHR?

Edited by emsquared
Less inflammatory story linked...

I find this quite dubious, but it wouldn't change anything for me! I already consider it an alternate universe. Someone's bad dream. :D

Honestly, it'd probably be best for Disney to just leave well enough alone and not try to "fix" anything. Any attempt to retcon it out of existence will reopen old wounds and have everyone at each others' throats again. Just don't do much of anything in the era.

The cat's already out of the bag, and anyone who tries to put it back in is going to get mauled.

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I find this quite dubious, but it wouldn't change anything for me! I already consider it an alternate universe. Someone's bad dream. :D

Honestly, it'd probably be best for Disney to just leave well enough alone and not try to "fix" anything. Any attempt to retcon it out of existence will reopen old wounds and have everyone at each others' throats again. Just don't do much of anything in the era.

The cat's already out of the bag, and anyone who tries to put it back in is going to get mauled.

The wild nexu is out of the bag, we need to use star wars analogies

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

The wild nexu is out of the bag, we need to use star wars analogies

Tooka might be the more appropriate choice in this case...

The Force Awakens was... fine. It had great new characters but lacked great new stuff for them to do. Above average for a Star Wars film.

The Last Jedi is my favourite Star Wars film of them all.

I am currently not interested in ever watching The Rise Of Skywalker.

I can't really see them doing this... thing. It just screams wishful thinking of angry fanboys to me.

Is the best way to try to fix your crapping-of-the-bed, and redeem the trust of your core fanbase,...

The core fanbase AKA the mainstream audience is just fine with Star Wars as it currently exists. It's the hardcore reactionairy fandom menace that makes a lot of noise, and at this point they can't be reclaimed no matter what, because they've been at this since the Prequels came out. And despite the noise they make, they are not as powerful an economic foce as they like to think. Star Wars is not going broke. It's making Lucasfilm and Disney gigantic piles of cash.

And doing something like this... it may please the hardcores (but probably won't), and it probably will not be received well at all by the mainstream audience.

I wasn't as excited about the High Republic...

Me neither. I mean, I really love what I have read about it, but I just find it so hard to get into Star Wars novels and comics again.

Any Rebels experts see any validity in the theory? What was this Veil of the Force thing all about?

It shouldn't really work at all. It's a form of time manipulation that comes with all the butterfly effect bells and whistles.

Extreme spoilers for Rebels seasons 2 and later:

(also, how does one imbed a youtube vid in this board?)

Edited by micheldebruyn

Ok I read the article, I'm fine either way, if the dream team was behind the reboot I believe they could pull ot off without upsetting the fan base unduly.

15 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

(also, how does one imbed a youtube vid in this board?)

Just post a link. It should embed as long as it isn't in spoiler text.

"Core fanbase" and "mainstream audience" are not the same thing. At all. This particular difference has nothing to do with money making. A fanbase are the people who follow and care about the product, the mainstream audience is the general population that enjoys the product. The core fanbase are going to be the people who are most passionate about the product.

And for someone who complains about alleged "continuity errors and contradictions" between A New Hope and the Prequels, saying that TLJ is your favorite movie of them all is just baffling.

47 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

I just find it so hard to get into Star Wars novels and comics again.

Like, I realize Lucasfilm has a lot of sub-divisions, but I find it hard to believe they would be spearheading the development of a project/product-line that wasn't destined for some sort of screen.

Why do these silly, clickbait rumors always have stuff like "there's a war between Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas because Star Wars is as good as dead!!" How does that sound like legitimate news to anyone?

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Just post a link. It should embed as long as it isn't in spoiler text.

Ah. That's how I thought it worked, I just didn't know about spoilering it breaking it.

"Core fanbase" and "mainstream audience" are not the same thing. At all. This particular difference has nothing to do with money making. A fanbase are the people who follow and care about the product, the mainstream audience is the general population that enjoys the product. The core fanbase are going to be the people who are most passionate about the product.

It kinda has got everything to do with money-making, because a 200+ billion dollar movie isn't going to make any profit if it appeals to just the core fanbase, which is just... tiny compared to the mainstream audience that buys a good 95% of the tickets.

And for someone who complains about alleged "continuity errors and contradictions" between A New Hope and the Prequels, saying that TLJ is your favorite movie of them all is just baffling.

I don't complain about them or mind that they are there. I just feel like pointing out they do exist whenever somebody starts about how George Lucas was this master storyteller who had the first 6 episodes completely worked out from the starts and that it is this perfect, complete story, free of retcons, contradictions, or plot holes, particularly when contrasting the originals with the sequels. If George Lucas was a consistant storyteller who never changed his mind long after the fact about what he wants Star Wars to be, we wouldn't have the "Han Shot First" debacle.

4 hours ago, emsquared said:

Like, I realize Lucasfilm has a lot of sub-divisions, but I find it hard to believe they would be spearheading the development of a project/product-line that wasn't destined for some sort of screen.

It feels like something they used to do all the time back in the day to me. The only thing that is missing is the video game tie-in.

5 hours ago, rogue_09 said:

Why do these silly, clickbait rumors always have stuff like "there's a war between Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas because Star Wars is as good as dead!!" How does that sound like legitimate news to anyone?

It's written to cater to gullible people.

Part of me really hopes this rumor will actually go somewhere, because I think generally they haven't done a great job of writing anything compelling. I was willing to give VII a chance and like you say, I didn't mind it. But VIII was SO bad I refused to watch IX and still haven't.

11 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

already consider it an alternate universe. Someone's bad dream.

This exact sentiment. There's very little in there that I draw on for my games, because honestly there's not much substance there to draw from. I pull more from the Thrawn trilogy and the other novels into my games than from the new movies.

As far as I'm concerned, the Mandolorian is the true Star Wars now. Here's hoping for season 2 being up to the same standard.

6 hours ago, rogue_09 said:

Because it generates clicks, especially from those lowbrow easily-gullible troglodytes that hate Kathleen Kennedy. And as the sad case with most media this day, it's all about generating clicks/likes as opposed to any sort of factual reporting.

What's amusing is that many of those some twerps that bash KK and beg/plead for Lucas to come back are the same bottom-feeders that bashed Lucas for the prequels, enough to the extent he decided to wash his hands of the franchise and let it be somebody else's headache.

But yeah, any notion of the sequels being labeled "non-canon" or put outside of official continuity is a pipe dream. Apart from the overly vocal minority who undoubtedly would have been pissed no matter what form the sequel trilogy took, Lucasfilm is pretty happy with the financial success of the films, which at the end of the day is the only metric they really care about. Love the films or hate them, the only thing Lucasfilm and by extension Disney is concerned with is that you paid money to see it, be it in the theater or digital or DVD/Blu-Ray.

1 minute ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Apart from the overly vocal minority who undoubtedly would have been pissed no matter what form the sequel trilogy took

I hear this argument a lot, and I don't think it's accurate at all to say that the people who are vocal about how much they didn't like it were impossible to satisfy. It's just not true.

Personally, I despise episode 8 because I think it's bad storytelling with shallow characters and a nonsense plot. However, I love the Mandolorian because it's a well written and compelling story (so far).

I am not a complete fan of Disney's trilogy but at the same time I don't know how people can trust the word and take seriously someone who goes by the pseudonym "Doomcock". Maybe I am just getting old..

Edited by Reslin
1 hour ago, Reslin said:

I am not a complete fan of Disney's trilogy but at the same time I don't know how people can trust the word and take seriously someone who goes by the pseudonym "Doomcock". Maybe I am just getting old..

I don't disagree with this sentiment, but the same dude apparently made previous revelations based on purported insider knowledge that proved true.

Also...

tenor.gif

Edited by emsquared
3 minutes ago, emsquared said:

he same dude apparently made previous revelations based on purported insider knowledge that proved true.

Which ones?

4 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

It kinda has got everything to do with money-making, because a 200+ billion dollar movie isn't going to make any profit if it appeals to just the core fanbase, which is just... tiny compared to the mainstream audience that buys a good 95% of the tickets.

I agree with most of that.

But you can't conflate the terms. They mean two different things. You can think that one is more important or relevant than the other, but the two are different and emsquared was referring to the core fanbase.

No. The reboot rumor was stupid the first time around. It was stupid again the second and third time, and it's also stupid this time. LFL/Disney will not remake a critically aclaimed, multi-billion-dollar revinue series. This is just clickbaters hawking hate again to earn a buck.

10 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

The Force Awakens was... fine. It had great new characters but lacked great new stuff for them to do. Above average for a Star Wars film.

The Last Jedi is my favourite Star Wars film of them all.

I agree 110%
❤️ TLJ ❤️

10 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

I am currently not interested in ever watching The Rise Of Skywalker.

I disagree here. TRoS is fine :D

2 hours ago, Reslin said:

It's generally a case of the Fandom Menace hearing what they want to hear, that their very narrow POV about how the Star Wars franchise should be handled is valid and correct, and that large corporations would be willing to pander to their increasingly niche beliefs.

With the advent of social media and the general ease of creating and distributing videos, it's now much easier to generate an audience, especially with clickbait headlines and that the general populace can't or won't be bothered to do any due diligence, relying on (what is in today's world) the naïve belief that anyone that is reporting "news" has already researched and vetted the information and hasn't injected personal bias into whatever information the reporter is relaying.

27 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

No. The reboot rumor was stupid the first time around. It was stupid again the second and third time, and it's also stupid this time. LFL/Disney will not remake a critically acclaimed, multi-billion-dollar revenue series. This is just clickbaters hawking hate again to earn a buck.

Yep. If there is one major downside to the advent of social media platforms, is that it's far too easy for someone to spew a bunch of made up nonsense while claiming an unidentified "trusted secret source."

That said, I could see the Star Wars films at some future point getting remade, but that would be decades down the line, and would be part and parcel of Hollywood's general trend to take an old and beloved classic film/sitcom and put a "modern" spin on it. But that'd have nothing to do with "rebooting" or "correcting" the franchise, and would probably be the point by which Star Wars as a franchise is on its last dying legs if not a dead horse already.

Like you said, as things stand the films are critically-acclaimed and generate absurd amount of revenue, so there's zero reason for LFL to reboot the franchise. Really, the only time a film franchise gets rebooted is when the last film (or couple of films) had such a dismal box office performance that it's clear something needs to be done, such as was the case with the Batman franchise in the wake of Batman & Robin, leading to Nolan Trilogy and what is probably one of the better live-action Batman performances and arguably the best live-action Joker performance to date.

38 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

I'd say TRoS is alright. The film has problems, mostly boiling down to JJ Abrams (whose strong point is NOT in coming up with satisfying or sensible conclusions to long-running plot threads) trying to cram his own take on how Episode 8 should have gone. Then again, it also had the heavy weight of expectations to closing out the Skywalker Saga, and that's an incredibly difficult hurdle to clear for even the most lauded filmmaker. Then again, I've got friends in much younger demographics that enjoyed the whole sequel trilogy from start to finish.

3 hours ago, SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics said:

I hear this argument a lot, and I don't think it's accurate at all to say that the people who are vocal about how much they didn't like it were impossible to satisfy. It's just not true.

Personally, I despise episode 8 because I think it's bad storytelling with shallow characters and a nonsense plot. However, I love the Mandolorian because it's a well written and compelling story (so far).

exactly. But these days so many try and shame people into compliance. The fact that it never works doesn't seem to stop people from using that method.
I was fine with Ep VII. but 8 on was just a complete mess of bad writing and evidence of a lack of a plan.

14 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Yep. If there is one major downside to the advent of social media platforms, is that it's far too easy for someone to spew a bunch of made up nonsense while claiming an unidentified "trusted secret source."

That said, I could see the Star Wars films at some future point getting remade, but that would be decades down the line, and would be part and parcel of Hollywood's general trend to take an old and beloved classic film/sitcom and put a "modern" spin on it. But that'd have nothing to do with "rebooting" or "correcting" the franchise, and would probably be the point by which Star Wars as a franchise is on its last dying legs if not a dead horse already.

Like you said, as things stand the films are critically-acclaimed and generate absurd amount of revenue, so there's zero reason for LFL to reboot the franchise. Really, the only time a film franchise gets rebooted is when the last film (or couple of films) had such a dismal box office performance that it's clear something needs to be done, such as was the case with the Batman franchise in the wake of Batman & Robin, leading to Nolan Trilogy and what is probably one of the better live-action Batman performances and arguably the best live-action Joker performance to date.

I'd say TRoS is alright. The film has problems, mostly boiling down to JJ Abrams (whose strong point is NOT in coming up with satisfying or sensible conclusions to long-running plot threads) trying to cram his own take on how Episode 8 should have gone. Then again, it also had the heavy weight of expectations to closing out the Skywalker Saga, and that's an incredibly difficult hurdle to clear for even the most lauded filmmaker. Then again, I've got friends in much younger demographics that enjoyed the whole sequel trilogy from start to finish.

It would not have been so difficult if they have planned out the trilogy ahead of time with a satisfying ending in mind from the beginning. But JJ does not plan. Which is I suspect why none of his stuff has a satisfying conclusion. a cool idea is as far as he thinks ahead of time.

1 hour ago, angelman2 said:

I guess I'll see it someday whenever it's available on a streaming service I follow. I'm planning to get Disney + anyway whenever it gets around to Belgium.