Can Victories be Competitive?

By player5572858, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

I love the Victory star destroyer, and I was hoping for some feedback on this list. The general idea is that expert shield techs and Moddi will make the victories pretty hard to kill, and by spamming the navigate command they'll be able to get enemies in their front arc and dish out some serious firepower. The Quasar and TIE's alpha-strike enemy squadrons, and the rogues lend their support to the TIE's and/or finish off any ships that got away from the victories with low health. Seven squads mean my victories will usually be able to deploy in a decent spot. Haven't picked objectives yet.

Imperial Blockade (399/400)

Empire Commander: Admiral Motti

[flagship] Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)

- Admiral Motti (24)

- Disposable Capacitors (3)

- Expert Shield Tech (5)

- Quad Battery Turrets (5) = 122 total points

Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)

- Disposable Capacitors (3)

- Expert Shield Tech (5)

- Quad Battery Turrets (5) = 98 total points

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54)

- Boosted Comms (4)

- Flight Controllers (6) = 64 total points

Squadrons (115/134):

1x Howlrunner Tie Fighter Squadron (16)

3x Tie Fighter Squadron (24)

1x Slave I - Bobba Fett (26)

1x Morna Kee VT-49 Decimator (27)

1x VT-49 Decimator (22)

First off put Gunnery teams on the VSDs. You get twice the use out of D-Caps and the QBTs will be used more often too.

Second a little dice control such as leading shots would help. LS also benefits from QBTs adding blue dice to the pool at any range even when the D-Caps have already been used. A cheaper version would be officer Vader on the third ship so you can choke the VSD officers to redo a disastrous volley.

I would think about Brunson over one of your Expert Shield Techs on the flagship. Saves a point damage a turn, occasionally two points and can strip a crit too.

The Quasar I think could go. It's there to fuel the TIEs with commands but you may quickly run out of TIEs and the rogues can look after them selves. You could replace it with a TRC Arquitens for firepower (let the VSDs do a squadron command on turn 2 to fling the TIEs in - maybe switching to fewer ACEs so only one VSD needs to do this) or you could replace it with a Gozanti with boosted Comms and vector and free up lots of points for (GT/LS)x2 and some extra rogues.

Missions
Station Assault or Surprise Attack
Contested Outpost or Planet Ion Cannon
Solar Corona or Dangerous Territory.

I am also a big fan of VSDs. I agree with Mad Cat about the Quasar, it's probably not necessary here (although QF2 with rogues and ruthless strategists is pretty fearsome).

I also feel that Harrow is a mandatory inclusion. I also love Dominator but I am in a minority of one with that view!

I would be tempted to choose Bossk/Morna Lee/Zertik Strom/1 X VT49 for your squads because then you don't need to command them at all unless you want to.

That would free up about 80pts for another ship.

15 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

First off put Gunnery teams on the VSDs. You get twice the use out of D-Caps and the QBTs will be used more often too.

Second a little dice control such as leading shots would help. LS also benefits from QBTs adding blue dice to the pool at any range even when the D-Caps have already been used. A cheaper version would be officer Vader on the third ship so you can choke the VSD officers to redo a disastrous volley.

I would think about Brunson over one of your Expert Shield Techs on the flagship. Saves a point damage a turn, occasionally two points and can strip a crit too.

The Quasar I think could go. It's there to fuel the TIEs with commands but you may quickly run out of TIEs and the rogues can look after them selves. You could replace it with a TRC Arquitens for firepower (let the VSDs do a squadron command on turn 2 to fling the TIEs in - maybe switching to fewer ACEs so only one VSD needs to do this) or you could replace it with a Gozanti with boosted Comms and vector and free up lots of points for (GT/LS)x2 and some extra rogues.

Missions
Station Assault or Surprise Attack
Contested Outpost or Planet Ion Cannon
Solar Corona or Dangerous Territory.

7 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

I am also a big fan of VSDs. I agree with Mad Cat about the Quasar, it's probably not necessary here (although QF2 with rogues and ruthless strategists is pretty fearsome).

I also feel that Harrow is a mandatory inclusion. I also love Dominator but I am in a minority of one with that view!

I would be tempted to choose Bossk/Morna Lee/Zertik Strom/1 X VT49 for your squads because then you don't need to command them at all unless you want to.

That would free up about 80pts for another ship.

Thanks for the feedback! So far in the games I've played gunnery teams has hardly ever activated. I play with family that use my collection though, and I only own one rebel transport, so I can see how it would be better if I we had more flotillas around. Ya'll are probably both right about the quasar being overkill just to have some TIE's give squadron coverage. I've got a gozanti on the way in the mail so I will switch out the quasar for that and put in leading shots and more rogues. An arquitens would make fleet building with empire easier so I'll have to get one when they finally restock.

26 minutes ago, player5572858 said:

Thanks for the feedback! So far in the games I've played gunnery teams has hardly ever activated. I play with family that use my collection though, and I only own one rebel transport, so I can see how it would be better if I we had more flotillas around. Ya'll are probably both right about the quasar being overkill just to have some TIE's give squadron coverage. I've got a gozanti on the way in the mail so I will switch out the quasar for that and put in leading shots and more rogues. An arquitens would make fleet building with empire easier so I'll have to get one when they finally restock.

You should also get Rebellion in the Rim. It includes some absolutely essential cards so even if you don't play the campaign the cards are worth having. Harrow for the VSD, Corvus for the raider, Linked Turbolaser Towers for anyone with a turbolaser slot to name just three.

I had a lot of fun with a triple VSD-II+QBT+LS+D-Caps list. Or you can replace one VSD with an Interdoctor plus D-Caps and Yularen. Both lists help you learn about VSDs a lot and figure out how to be competitive. They won't win any tournament though...

I am fan of a black dice boat vsd I with harrow