The Fortress of Nurn Announcement

By stimpaksam, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

This quest looks to be a lot of fun, can’t wait!

4 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

This quest looks to be a lot of fun, can’t wait!

I heard it's a difficulty rating of 10!

Awesome final quest to finish it. And nice to confirm the cards are all true. Still sad about Spirit Aragorn though being kind of meh.

Anyone else seeing that it's not possible to pre-order it from FFG? An earlier version of the announcement had a link to the FFG store, but that link didn't work, and now it's been taken out and it says to order it from your local store. So, no pre-order bonus this time?

I like how the announcement didn't even try to hype up the hero in the pack, which they usually (not always) do.

Any reason why this can’t be preordered through FFG?

T-Rexgorn with his short arms!

Is this it? I didnt see the word ‘complete’ in the article.

I hoped Sp Aragorn was only a bad joke. Now it's reality. So sad. First time I'm really disappointed by this game...

Yup nothing about the end of the game or hiatus. I found that a little weird and not sure what to think of that.

19 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Yup nothing about the end of the game or hiatus. I found that a little weird and not sure what to think of that.

There could be a separate article coming up about that.

23 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Awesome final quest to finish it. And nice to confirm the cards are all true. Still sad about Spirit Aragorn though being kind of meh.

Agreed, except that I would say I really don't like the art on that card at all. Very disappointing.

5 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Well, there's also still at least two other releases coming out (the Mines of Moria and Escape from Khazad-Dum custom scenario packs). Presumably, since some of the world already has Nurn in hand but not these two packs, these packs are releasing after Nurn, despite being announced earlier. Then, FFG can either announce the end of the game or could continue releasing Custom Scenario packs (maybe even doing two-per-traditional cycle). It's minimal work for them. since it basically just entails recombining existing art and text.

What I don't understand is why make the custom scenario kits at all, especially at this point in the game's run if it's truly meant to be a finished product? It feels to me like they're intended to be a new release model for the game, where quests-to-play are bought separately from player cards, a bit like the new Marvel Champions game. Maybe the idea is to get a few Custom Scenario Kits on the market to fill the hiatus and keep the game on people's radars, then after the hiatus roll out some kind of new player-cards packs (or new organizations of old cards) to be used against these scenario packs. These scenario packs basically represent the "greatest hits" of the game's original cycles without the need to run down 7 hard-to-find Products per cycle.

The art is existing for the custom packs, but the text is original, at least on the cards I've checked. Still, just tweaking encounter cards for a kit is a lot less work than commissioning artwork, creating new quest mechanics, and developing and testing new player cards. FFG *could* do more kits, if the market demand justified it and they could spare someone to do a little work.

But in this case the kits were designed for last year's Gencon and the aborted fellowship event, so they were never *intended* to be the final pre-hiatus products in the first place.

Just to reference what I was saying earlier: I was at GENCON last year and they did not commit to this cycle being the end of the game. Andrew in his answer to me referenced destiny and Star Wars LCG where they used the word ‘complete’ to indicate you now have the full game available to you and no further expansions were coming.

What's with record store employee Aragorn?

7 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

What's with record store employee Aragorn?

To me, it evokes a friar/monk going down to the abbey cellar to grab another cask of beer.

I think what makes this piece feel a bit out of place with the rest of the art for Aragorn is that--with very few exceptions--most portrayals of Aragorn seem to have him clean shaven or with a short, neat beard. Even FFG's own art for Aragorn tends to follow-this tread (the other three hero-versions are beardless, for instance). I'm pretty sure had they used the art from either Thorongil or Desperate Path as the Sp-Aragorn art, it'd have been much better received.

Makes me wonder if it was repurposed art from another character, like Robert Baratheon for the Thrones LCG or something?
e9011a3a03a45d739202401e7e442025.jpg
"I don't always carry my torch when I'm drunk... but when I do I make sure to hold it right by the flame! GODS, I WAS STRONG THEN!"

Edited by EBerling
9 hours ago, EBerling said:

Makes me wonder if it was repurposed art from another character, like Robert Baratheon for the Thrones LCG or something?

Is that something they do? They tell an artist to draw what they feel to be a representation of Aragorn (or any other character), then print it as someone else. I guess if it's written into the contract with the artist they can do whatever they want. For Christmas they can promote SP Théoden as Santa Claus.

Edited by stimpaksam

Aragorn looks like a significantly less manly version of this guy.

20 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

Aragorn looks like a significantly less manly version of this guy.

[BardicBroadcast Video]

Fun fact: Bardic is the only mortal man who can simply walk into Mordor, and he has a cracking good time doing it!

Isn't Aragorn suppose to be like 8 956 204 years old in the noels?

By the way this pack now looks like it is available for pre-order directly through the site. Also, a pre-order promotion is also available. I just placed mine. 😃

Discouraging that this pack still isn't even featured in the "Upcoming" section of the website.

Wonder when this is supposed to be released, as the article didn't even mention a quarter ("Land of Sorrow" still isn't available in Canada)?

23 minutes ago, TwiceBorn said:

Discouraging that this pack still isn't even featured in the "Upcoming" section of the website.

Wonder when this is supposed to be released, as the article didn't even mention a quarter ("Land of Sorrow" still isn't available in Canada)?

I went back and found out the average days between when a pack is announced and when it's available for the Vengeance of Mordor cycle. It was 133 days. The Fortress of Nurn was announced on June 29th, putting it's predicted availability at around November 9th.

But anything can happen. I've noticed that it seems to already be available in other countries, so who knows...

Edited by stimpaksam