Crognus Painting Thread

By crognus, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I'm trying to motivate myself to finish my Runewars Armies, so I thought I would share progress here.

06/29/20 - Finished 12 Reanimates rT0rGpr.jpg

07/05/20 - Finished 12 Reanimates

ZHLW9Z4.jpg

Edited by crognus
Update

I really love the way you picked up some of the metal highlights with the various effects. Very nice detail. Also, those bases are outstanding. How did you come up with all the rocks, etc.?

3 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

I really love the way you picked up some of the metal highlights with the various effects. Very nice detail. Also, those bases are outstanding. How did you come up with all the rocks, etc.?

I took an igneous rock, smashed it with a hammer until I was happy with the size of the rocks and then attached them to the base with super glue.

For the rest of the process I followed the Games Workshop basing method. How to base games workshop miniatures.

More done today. Whoo!

That is some great looking stuff. Thanks for the link on the basing. For some reason or another, I’ve been very fascinated with good basing since I got back into painting 2 years ago. Back in the 80’s/90’s, we didn’t have the different materials so easily available (not to mention all of the instructional videos!), so I never really appreciated that aspect of the figure.

I love the layering and highlighting. Lots of color and detail for the eye to grab ahold of...

How do you guys make eyes so good? The time i tried they came out horrible. Yours looks really amazing! You can see them glowing!

2 hours ago, swarmer said:

How do you guys make eyes so good? The time i tried they came out horrible. Yours looks really amazing! You can see them glowing!

1. Make sure you have a brush that retains a sharp tip. If the end is hooked you will have difficulty. Pretty much all synthetic brushes develop a hook very quickly. Buy a Kolinsky Sable brush.

I use Winsor and Newton Series 7. A You don't need a whole bunch of brushes of different sizes! A size 2 and 0 is all you will ever need.

2. As for the glowing eyes, the method I used was super easy. How to paint glowing eyes.

3. Make sure your technique is good for brush accuracy. Both elbows should be rested on the table. The lower part of your brush hand and wrist should be rested against your other hand (with against you finger, other wrist, palm, etc.)

4. Practice brush accuracy. A few months ago, I bought 10 Space Marines and edge highlighted EVERY edge in GW style. My brush accuracy was waaaay better by the end.

Thank you! I'm gonna try :D

keep up with your good work! i want to see your progress!