No tail gun on Agent Kalus VCX?

By topacesteve, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello, is there an errata or something about tail gun on VCX with Kalus rebel?

13 minutes ago, topacesteve said:

Hello, is there an errata or something about tail gun on VCX with Kalus rebel?

None of the VCX have a native rear-gun, meaning they cannot take Veteran Tail Gunner

i mean tail gun text on attack shuttle

4 minutes ago, topacesteve said:

i mean tail gun text on attack shuttle

Why would there be any errata on this? It functions just the same as if docked to any other VCX with Ghost/Phantom

There is no TAIL GUN ship text on Kalus' VCX, but this text is visible in all other pilots....i think it doesnt get to shoot 3 backwards if it has shuttle docked

10 minutes ago, Innese said:

Why would there be any errata on this? It functions just the same as if docked to any other VCX with Ghost/Phantom

He's talking about the Tail Gun ship ability all VCX pilots have:

VCX-100 Syndulla

However, Kallus does not have this text on his pilot card:

Swz66 alexsandr-kallus

Obviously this is a mistake. No other pilot in the game doesn't have a ship ability that the rest of the pilots do.

FFG have also confirmed it's an error, however there has yet to be an update to the Rules Reference to errata this, and there is no FAQ clarification either.

So no, @topacesteve , there is still no official errata to this.

And that means that technically, RAW, Kallus does not gain a rear arc when he has an Attack Shuttle or Sheathipede docked.

2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Obviously this is a mistake. No other pilot in the game doesn't have a ship ability that the rest of the pilots do.

FFG have also confirmed it's an error...

First, (to be overly technical) the Scum Falcon’s Escape Craft all have the “Co-Pilot” ability, except for the Autopilot Drone, which has “Rigged Energy Cells” instead. So there is at least one ship which doesn’t share a ship ability with the other pilots on the frame.

Second, I’m not challenging your statement that they’ve confirmed this as an error (I’m sure it is, and I’m sure they have). But... have you got a link? Just so we have something to point to if this were challenged. Thanks!

Interestingly, the Tail Gun ship ability is present in the official squad builder app for Kallus. It’s also on LaunchBay’s app.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, Yank01 said:

Interestingly, the Tail Gun ship ability is present in the official squad builder app for Kallus. It’s also on LaunchBay’s app.

The LaunchBay information really means nothing, since it's an unofficial third party product... but, the presence in the official app (as lousy as that app is) very strongly suggests that the omission of the "Tail Gun" ability is an error, and not an intentional variation of the VCX-100 frame. At the very least, it provides a strong counter-argument to any strict claims of "lacking official errata, play it as printed."

My take: Kallus was intended to have the Tail Gun ability, and the lack of it on his card is an error . FFG has reflected the correct version of his card on the app, and he will (hopefully) receive an errata entry in the next Rules Reference.

Edited by emeraldbeacon

Given that the official app has the text, someone would have to be a gigantic jerk to challenge it.

Though since the official app doesn't let you equip a talent (even though he has that slot in the pdf), it calls the reliability of the information in the app into question.

Also the card image in the app is still missing the ship ability.

Edited by joeshmoe554

Do not fear all shall be fixed in X-wing 3.0 coming soon ..

I don't know if it's been raised but you can take L337 as escape craft pilot in the same scum list with Falcon and L337 crew.

Edited by pitchfork06
On 6/26/2020 at 11:52 PM, pitchfork06 said:

I don't know if it's been raised but you can take L337 as escape craft pilot in the same scum list with Falcon and L337 crew.

Could you elaborate? Are you describing a flaw in the official app (which, we know, it's horribly flawed), or some obscure rule that would otherwise allow it?

7 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Could you elaborate? Are you describing a flaw in the official app (which, we know, it's horribly flawed), or some obscure rule that would otherwise allow it?

Probably a flaw in the app. The app has glitches that allow illegal builds sometimes. I know there was one where a 400 point list was coming in as only 200 points.

18 hours ago, SwampyCr said:

Probably a flaw in the app. The app has glitches that allow illegal builds sometimes. I know there was one where a 400 point list was coming in as only 200 points.

It just tested it and yes, the app does appear to allow it, but this is clearly an error as legally, this isn't allowed as they share the same name and are limited to one one per squad.

sorry for necroposting.

But on YASB kallus doesn't have tail gun ability, likewise the card. So, in competitive enviroment, the shuttle docked does NOT fire backwards. Am I right?

2 hours ago, alien earth said:

sorry for necroposting.

But on YASB kallus doesn't have tail gun ability, likewise the card. So, in competitive enviroment, the shuttle docked does NOT fire backwards. Am I right?

Strictest RAW, Kallus does not have tail gun, event though the pattern is pretty obvious. Check with your organizer/opponent before the event/game.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:34 AM, alien earth said:

sorry for necroposting.

YASB is not official and doesn't have any actual bearing on how to interpret rules (though the dev does an excellent job of ensuring everything is accurate).

In the official FFG squad builder, however, Kallus [VCX] does in fact have the Tail Gun ship ability. Because of this, I find it somewhat difficult to imagine a TO ruling that Kallus can't use the tail gun, but as previously mentioned if you intend to use the ability you should absolutely clear it with the judges first.

3 hours ago, Maui. said:

In the official FFG squad builder, however, Kallus [VCX] does in fact have the Tail Gun ship ability. Because of this, I find it somewhat difficult to imagine a TO ruling that Kallus can't use the tail gun, but as previously mentioned if you intend to use the ability you should absolutely clear it with the judges first.

Sadly, in the official FFG squad builder, Kallus still does not have a talent slot, which he does in the pdf points document. That calls the accuracy of the official squad builder into question, and makes it more difficult to use the official squad builder as an official resource for rulings. It would be nice if FFG would release an errata already to fix the card, but those tend to be pretty slow in getting released.

Update on this: in the official app, Kallus now has the elite slot but does not have the tail gun text.

Edited by kempokid

I just checked the app on my phone and it appears he does now have the elite slot and Tail Gun text. This makes me more confident to use the app as justification that the card was misprinted.

you're both right and wrong, @joeshmoe554 and @kempokid .

the image of the card if you search for it has no tail gun text, but if you build a list with kallus, the text is there. 😀

Screenshot-20200811-053935-com-fantasyfl

Screenshot-20200811-053825-com-fantasyfl

53 minutes ago, meffo said:

the image of the card if you search for it has no tail gun text, but if you build a list with kallus, the text is there. 😀

Schrödinger's Tail Gun: The rear arc both exists, and doesn't exist, until you check to see if a ship is docked.