Blanket Barrage scaling and number of guns

By Fl1nt, in Game Masters

Hello,

so I've been looking at the vehicle combat rules again and Blanked Barrage (and for that matter Concentrated Barrage) seem to be scaling rather poorly (or not even at all in the case of Blanket Barrage) with the number of guns used.
So if for example a "small" Lancer Class Frigate performs the Blanked Barrage using its four Starboard Turrets it has the same exact effect as when a Star Destroyer does this with its 10 Port Heavy Turbolaser Batteries (except the Base Damage).

This feels a bit weird and really discourages using this action (although I'd want to because rolling 10 Turbolaser attacks isnt a real option either).

One argument I can see, is that Blanket Barrage is a whole bunch easier to roll with only 2 Difficulty vs. for example 5 Difficulty in case of the ISD, but still I feel the number of guns used should factor in somehow (if only a little bit).

The other thing that confuses me:
Can there be multiple Blanket Barrages in one Ship Arc ?
Rules suggest yes, but how would one decide which triggers on threat / despairs or do they all?

Has anyone dealt with this before or found a solution for this?

Edited by Fl1nt

Similar topic here:

31 minutes ago, Fl1nt said:

One argument I can see, is that Blanket Barrage is a whole bunch easier to roll with only 2 Difficulty vs. for example 5 Difficulty in case of the ISD, but still I feel the number of guns used should factor in somehow (if only a little bit).

Maybe upgrade an additional time for each 10 weapons past the first 10. This would be in addition to the option for spending 2 Advantage. Or maybe add a Setback instead of Upgrading.

33 minutes ago, Fl1nt said:

Can there be multiple Blanket Barrages in one Ship Arc?
Rules suggest yes, but how would one decide which triggers on threat / despairs or do they all?

Technically, you probably could. However, in practice, I think it makes the most sense to be no. With the way I run large ships (topic here ), that would be the ship's action for the turn aside from gunner minion groups. With RAW, it's much sketchier on how that would go down, but I would advise not having two in the same arc as you don't actually get any benefit there unless the effects stack, and I think that might be a bit much.

Sounds reasonable, maybe 1 Setback for any full 10 Guns used or something like this; That way a skilled pilot is still not much affected (if not even being able to remove these setbacks) but it makes the Barrage a little bit more dangerous by increasing threat chances.