3D Printing Miniatures

By El_Lalotreto, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

I'm about to embark on a journey! I'm going to try and sculpt some of the Minis for the game (right now my goal is IG-88 and Ahsoka). Anyways, thought it may be something worth sharing. I hope I can grasp the task ahead. If the results are worth it, would any of you like to have the models for 3D printing?
Thanks!

If any one else has or knows someone that has already tried this before me, we could get together.

The plan is doing it for free. Let all the minis be printable for anybody!

There's a lot to creating 3D sculpts for 3D printing. What kind of printer are planning on using? What resolution? Are you going to add supports or are you expecting users to generate supports with their slicer? What software are you using?

In the past, I've had some X-Wing-scaled miniatures printed up by Shapeways. And it was okay.

More recently, I bought some sculpts from Skullforge Studio, scaled them down to Imperial Assault size, and had them professionally printed on a resin printer. They had to do multiple print runs with lots of failed prints. And the results were still not as good as I wanted.

I'd love to see what you come up with. Although it would be more interesting to see something that FFG has not done yet.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:03 AM, patox said:

There's a lot to creating 3D sculpts for 3D printing. What kind of printer are planning on using? What resolution? Are you going to add supports or are you expecting users to generate supports with their slicer? What software are you using?

Hello! I'm using Zbrush to do the sculping, I've had some good progress, and for the printer I'm going to send them to a profesional printer!