Force Points & Mind Control

By Grungyape, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Two connected questions.

I see that it appears you start with 1 FP (if you pick a career that allows it) and can gain a second in many of the talent trees.

I saw a post (old) that vaguely talked about being able to gain a 3rd FP, but I see no evidence of it. Is it possible, and can you point me to some info on why/how?

Separate from this, I have a player that wants some suggestions on make a force user that focuses on mind control, influence, emotions. Are their any career/specs that come to mind? We found the Force Powers for Influence.

What do mean by gain a 3rd force point? as any character can get a third force point.

For mind control. Influence. Discipline. Presences and social skills.

3 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

What do mean by gain a 3rd force point? as any character can get a third force point.

For mind control. Influence. Discipline. Presences and social skills.

So I see they get one for the Mystic, but I don't see any more except for the top tier of the talent tree giving them 2.

The only Specialization I see that grants one is the Universal. Am I missing it?

You mean Force Rating, yes? Force sensitive characters (such as those that start with Force & Destiny careers, or those that purchase a Force-sensitive talent tree) are granted Force Rating 1.

If you obtain a talent tree that has a Force Rating talent, you can use your XP to buy all the way down the talent tree and then buy the Force Rating talent, which increases your Force Rating +1.

You can do this as many times as there are different talent trees with Force Rating talents. Some even have two Force Rating talents, like the Seer talent tree in the Mystic career, so you could have a single talent tree with FR 3.

-

Force points are those things you generate with your Force dice. You roll your white Force dice, and the pips that show on the dice give you Force points to spend on Force powers & abilities.

17 minutes ago, Grungyape said:

Two connected questions.

I see that it appears you start with 1 FP (if you pick a career that allows it) and can gain a second in many of the talent trees.

I saw a post (old) that vaguely talked about being able to gain a 3rd FP, but I see no evidence of it. Is it possible, and can you point me to some info on why/how?

Separate from this, I have a player that wants some suggestions on make a force user that focuses on mind control, influence, emotions. Are their any career/specs that come to mind? We found the Force Powers for Influence.

If you are limited to the universal specs from AoR and EotE, I believe they allow you to max out at a Force Rating of 3. If you have FaD or splats with universal specs, the limit is 6.

If you're talking about a single spec to get to 3, there are a couple. I believe Hermit has 2 Force Rating talents and I think there's another one.

Not sure what your confusion is.

2 minutes ago, Grungyape said:

So I see they get one for the Mystic, but I don't see any more except for the top tier of the talent tree giving them 2.

The only Specialization I see that grants one is the Universal. Am I missing it?

You can buy more than one talent tree. The rules for it are on page 103 of Force & Destiny, under "Acquiring New Specializations."

OK, crap. That's part of my issue, I was calling them Force Points and not able to find the info I wanted online, Force Rating. I'm sorry. I could have likely found this on my own if I had not been too hasty!

Yes, he is interested in a Force character with influence/emotion powers. So we were trying to figure out how he gained Force Rating beyond his first and if their was a way to start at 2.

Lot of confusion and confusing responses here...

Please note, OP, once you already have a Force Rating of 1 (via taking a Force sensitive Specialization), just taking a new Specialization (like a Universal Force Using Spec, or a Force & Destiny Spec) does not grant you an increased Force Rating.

The only way to raise Force Rating in play is by purchasing a "Force Rating" Talent in a Specialization tree that has one.

As for what to do, to be a mind-altering Force user... Primarily, your Player needs to pick up the Influence Force Power. That contains the "Jedi mind trick" (via the Control Upgrade; "make target believe something untrue"). It is also important, for this focus, to have a high Discipline Skill. So Species and a Career/Specialization that has a good Willpower and access to that Skill as a Career Skill is always a good way to go.

But also, lesser mind control types (like the Control Upgrade where you can add Force die to Skill checks) often require Social Skill checks. So a Force sensitive Specialization that has some solid Social Skills as Career Skills, and Social Skills-related Talents is also a good option.

Mystic/Seer is my favorite from the F&D book for this type of build. Advisor is also good, but doesn't have Discipline (so they'd need to make sure to have a good Willpower). Or if being a Jedi/Padawan is an option, that's good too.

59 minutes ago, Grungyape said:

So we were trying to figure out how he gained Force Rating beyond his first and if their was a way to start at 2.

You gain FR beyond the first by buying the talents. There is technically a way to start at 2 (aside from purchasing the talent at CharGen with enough XP), and that's Short Path to Power from Collapse of the Republic, but it is only for when you want to start in the Knight or General spec and from what I've seen and heard, most GMs don't like it.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

You gain FR beyond the first by buying the talents. There is technically a way to start at 2 (aside from purchasing the talent at CharGen with enough XP), and that's Short Path to Power from Collapse of the Republic, but it is only for when you want to start in the Knight or General spec and from what I've seen and heard, most GMs don't like it.

OK, so then FR 1 is considered normal and "powerful enough" at start.

44 minutes ago, emsquared said:

Please note, OP, once you already have a Force Rating of 1 (via taking a Force sensitive Specialization), just taking a new Specialization (like a Universal Force Using Spec, or a Force & Destiny Spec) does not grant you an increased Force Rating.

OK, and that's why we asked, were were not clear. Thank you.

@Grungyape the Sage specialization from the Consular career will set your player on a good path to accomplish his vision of an "influence" Force user.