Round Shield and shadow cards

By steve83, in Rules questions & answers

Round Shield from the Mount Gundabad AP is an armour attachment with the following response:

Response : After a shadow effect is triggered during combat, exhaust Round Shield to give attached character +2 [Defense] for this attack.

If I flip the shadow card and activate the response on round shield, can I then cancel the shadow card with (say) Hasty Stroke, and keep the +2 Defence bonus from round shield?

Also, does this card work for attacks outside of the combat phase? (Wondering about the wording "during combat".)

Thanks!

Edited by steve83
30 minutes ago, steve83 said:

If I flip the shadow card and activate the response on round shield, can I then cancel the shadow card with (say) Hasty Stroke, and keep the +2 Defence bonus from round shield?

RR Cancel says:

If an effect is canceled, that effect is no longer imminent, and further abilities (including cancels) cannot be initiated in reference to the canceled effect.

Since Hasty Stroke cancels the shadow effect, Round Shield's trigger condition never arrives, so no defense bonus.

Edited by sappidus
35 minutes ago, steve83 said:

Also, does this card work for attacks outside of the combat phase? (Wondering about the wording "during combat".)

It has been the general consensus that abilities that only apply "during combat" are OK to use during attacks outside the combat phase. Otherwise even Hasty Stroke wouldn't be usable outside the combat phase.

Thanks for that!

I think the key bit from the Rules Reference was in the sentence just before the one you quoted:

[...] cancel abilities have timing priority over all other abilities.

Which is what I was missing.

And you're right, I forgot that the same wording was on Hasty Stroke.

Thanks again!

Edited by steve83