Character Creation question ... Credit/XP bonuses?

By langeleb, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So after a long AoR campaign, followed by an almost-as-long EotE campaign, my group is now going to tackle FaD. But as GM I'm trying to help with character building, and an item on p. 49 confuses me.

In AoR, a player could take a hit on their starting Duty to get more XP and/or Credits at character creation.

In EotE, a player could take more Obligation to get more XP and/or Credits at character creation.

In FaD, I seem to be reading that a character chooses one of the options listed (more XP, more credits, a little of both, or +/- 21 Morality) and there's no other penalty or tradeoff for this. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks

On 6/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, langeleb said:

In FaD, I seem to be reading that a character chooses one of the options listed (more XP, more credits, a little of both, or +/- 21 Morality) and there's no other penalty or tradeoff for this. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes you are reading that correctly.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, langeleb said:

Thanks

Yes, you're reading it correctly. F&D characters simply pick one of the available options and move on with character creation.

The "trade off," such as it is, comes in the form of the group's available starting resources not being quite as good/flashy as those of an EotE or AoR crew. For instance, the starting starship options are limited to anything that's 75K credits or less (vs. EotE's cap of 120K credits) and per RAW the XP discounts offered by the Mentor and Holocron don't kick in until after spending your character's initial allotment of XP.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:40 PM, langeleb said:

So after a long AoR campaign, followed by an almost-as-long EotE campaign, my group is now going to tackle FaD. But as GM I'm trying to help with character building, and an item on p. 49 confuses me.

In AoR, a player could take a hit on their starting Duty to get more XP and/or Credits at character creation.

In EotE, a player could take more Obligation to get more XP and/or Credits at character creation.

Thanks

AoR and EotE characters start with 4+2 free ranks in skills, FaD characters only get 3+2 (and a force rating).