FFG done printing descent expansions?

By The MechE, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I noticed many expansions are sold out. Are they done making Descent prints?

Wouldn't be surprising. Everything has an end 😞

Possible they are done with reprints, but I do not think so.

Asmodee USA has been tightening their belt on the number of games they are keeping due to oversaturation of the market. At the same time, they have stated that certain games that they are no longer producing new content for are still good sellers, and they will continue to re-print them. Specifically called out was Star Wars: Imperial Assault, which is a similar game to Descent but with an IP that has a larger fan base.

Also important to note, Asmodee is publishing new fiction using the heroes from specific content expansions. In the interview with the author, he stated he was given his choice of what characters to use, and he settled on those particular ones from the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion due to the ideas he had around those characters.

So a couple important take-aways:

• Asmodee is spending more money on the Terrinoth IP, specifically with the Descent title and characters
  • He was given his choice, Asmodee did not dictate to him what characters to push. Which means they did not rule out any particular characters/expansions.
  • this is "the first of a rip-roaring new series for the fan-favorite epic fantasy game, Descent"

Its hard to imagine that Asmodee would do that if they did not plan on making that content available to sell again, as they would hope the book tie-ins would promote game sales.

Now, all of this is moot if they decided to roll out a 3rd Edition, but I think that is a larger leap to conclusion then they just are going to continue to re-print content that has already had development costs paid for.

Edited by kris40k

Or.. he wasn't given a choice and they are doing something with new with Labyrinth of Ruin - there was some talk about competing with Gloomhaven on reddit, and that means campaign play to my eye, via RTL or something new? Actually I just found the bit:

"You're going to be super excited about what's next with Descent, maybe?

I probably can't say much out of respect for confidentiality agreements but the plans for that line are really cool (gotta compete with Gloomhaven somehow)"

As Labyrinth was the first major campaign expansion post the base, ..maybe?

I appreciate the groans here from long time players: "Oh here we go again with the whole 'hope' thing.."

I deserve that, and will stick around on stage for all incoming cabbage, empty bottles (for those particularly displeased) and other rotting produce.

19 minutes ago, Cotgrave said:

Or.. he wasn't given a choice and they are doing something with new with Labyrinth of Ruin - there was some talk about competing with Gloomhaven on reddit, and that means campaign play to my eye, via RTL or something new?

Well, that would imply the author was lying in his interview? I'm not really feeling that...

https://aconytebooks.com/book-announcement/join-us-in-terrinoth-for-epic-adventure-youll-not-soon-forget-introducing-the-doom-of-fallowhearth-by-robbie-macniven/

Your story centers around a well-known group of characters from the Descent games. How prepared did you feel to give these characters a voice, what experiences did you draw on to create them?

When I first took on writing a novel for the Descent setting I trawled through every character mentioned in the games. I considered a few combinations and thought about creating my own, but eventually settled on the heroes from the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion. I thought it would be good to flesh out characters that players may already have used in their games, and picking a “pre-set” group gave me what I felt was a solid foundation to build an adventure on. I especially enjoyed the Labyrinth gang because they’re such a blend of the familiar and the unusual – the aforementioned orc who’s stoic and protective, the rogue whose greed and cowardice are constantly in competition with one another, the dwarf who just wants to try out her latest madcap experiments on whoever is closest. They’re a great bunch to build a cast of secondary heroes and villains around, and as the story went on they increasingly developed a life of their own. I feel like, ultimately, this is a character-driven story.

Occams's Razor, simplest answer, and all that.

Edited by kris40k

Absolutely, no disagreement. Having worked a long while in a corporate advertising/campaign climate I have reason to suggest that this is actually pretty common. Its part of building expectation, this said, an author working on a tie-in book given this much freedom may make me wonder - and no judgement is implied here, I work in the same world - but it is no less possible or indeed probable. Again, just giving my reasoning for the passive speculation on my part. It is, as you say, likely exactly what's 'on the tin'.

Edited by Cotgrave