Any X-34 Landspeeder conversions?

By patox, in Painting

The Alliance to Restore the Republic commandeers state-of-the-art, space-superiority fighters and employs finely-tuned, pimped-out, contraband-running freighters.

When FFG first announced the landspeeder expansion pack, the article accompanying it was entitled "Rebel Ingenuity." Is carjacking the local teenager's beat-up Camaro and bolting on a blaster, really considered ingenuity?

Besides the civilian X-34, SoroSuub also manufactures military-grade vehicles. Maybe even an X-34 combat version.

Has anyone converted their landspeeder so it's more in-line with other Rebel equipment and less like it came off the Lars homestead from some whiny farmboy?

11193-3-4594640d05fa7487234c4b3bea0ce356

9oBke6f.jpg

from SoroSuub:

Rebel_Combat_Speeder.png

I'm not sure if I've seen any conversions, but the idea of taking a cheap, fast vehicle and bolting on a heavy weapon is a surprisingly popular and effective. It mirrors the real world concept of a "Technical" which have proven to be extremely effective, even against legitimate armies. They are well suited to the hit-and-run tactics of the Rebellion and it makes sense for them to use cheap, easy to obtain/repair vehicles with hard hitting weapons against the relatively slow and heavily armoured Empire. If I were to convert one I'd probably go for some more suped-up engines, maybe some makeshift armour plates and really lean into the makeshift look.

I'd be more into the rag-tag look if the Rebels were less... uniform. They have all the trappings and appearance of a well-funded, well-led, and well-trained nation-state's military. They've got uniforms, standardized weaponry, inclement weather gear and training, with infantry, cavalry (both shock and recon), elite formations, CAS, and a navy where even small one-man interceptors are hyperspace-capable.

Yes, you could argue that the Rebels were on the ragged edge of supply and logistics, with insolvency and dissolution looming throughout the GCW, but they don't really *look* like it. Comparing them to examples from our own world, say mujaheddin or Somali warbands, doesn't really hold up for me in a set-piece battle game like Legion. Maybe if it were more like Kill Team?

At any rate, I like the idea of a Rebel ASV or similar vehicle. I don't own one, but you're giving me ideas... 🤨

Edited by SFC Snuffy
Spelling

I wish they had a cheaper way to get parts and i would do more customs.

My 3D design skills are very rudimentary. But initial thoughts on a combat-kitted, factory-built X-34 would keep the same chassis as the civilian version. It would look familiar and have the same general lines as Luke's speeder so you definitely realize the craft shares the same lineage. But it would add armor plating. A push bar and roll cage. And open sides so combatants can quickly embark or disembark.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 9.10.06 AM.png

Looks pretty good but open roof/sides and armor plating seems like a strange combo, particularly for troopers who wear wet cardboard for armor. Personally, I'd go more along the lines of that SoroSuub example above: enclosed crew compartment, better-protected engines, and maybe a roof-mounted turret.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:44 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

I'd be more into the rag-tag look if the Rebels were less... uniform. They have all the trappings and appearance of a well-funded, well-led, and well-trained nation-state's military. They've got uniforms, standardized weaponry, incelent weather gear and training, with infantry, cavalry (both shock and recon), elite formations, CAS, and a navy where even small one-man interceptors are hyperspace-capable.

Yes, you could argue that the Rebels were on the ragged edge of supply and logistics, with insolvency and dissolution looming throughout the GCW, but they don't really *look* like it. Comparing them to examples from our own world, say mujaheddin or Somali warbands, doesn't really hold up for me in a set-piece battle game like Legion. Maybe if it were more like Kill Team?

At any rate, I like the idea of a Rebel ASV or similar vehicle. I don't own one, but you're giving me ideas... 🤨

Pretty much my thoughts. I think the whole 'rebels are terrorists/guerrillas' thing is basically revisionist history. They certainly didn't have that appearance in the original trilogy.

5 hours ago, Proton Torpedo said:

Pretty much my thoughts. I think the whole 'rebels are terrorists/guerrillas' thing is basically revisionist history. They certainly didn't have that appearance in the original trilogy.

It varied according to where and when. Rebels (the tv show) showed us the lead up to Episode 4 and that what we saw in the movies was the culmination of many years of rag tag operations and small ill equipped cells. The Yavin rebel cell was also the best equipped in the galaxy, with tons of left over military grade ships and gear.

By the time we get to RotJ we have a rebel alliance that is truly a vast military and fleet, able to go toe to toe with the Imperial Navy shortly after the destruction of the 2nd deathstar.

So yeah, the movie rebels surrounding the main characters are more like a real army, but its not the whole picture. The OT only shows us a few engagenents related to the most famous heroes in the 2nd half of the revolution. There was a lot more going on "in universe".

@KommanderKeldoth OK, I'll buy that. On the other hand, the minis we have in-game present a Rebellion force uniformed and equipped in a standardized manner, much more in line with that mid- to late-GCW force able to go toe-to-toe with the Empire. Circling back around to the OP, I wouldn't expect a force that's got that level of discipline and equipment to be improvising technicals out of a beat-up Camaro. Sure, sure... necessity's the mother of invention and all that.

8 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

@KommanderKeldoth OK, I'll buy that. On the other hand, the minis we have in-game present a Rebellion force uniformed and equipped in a standardized manner, much more in line with that mid- to late-GCW force able to go toe-to-toe with the Empire. Circling back around to the OP, I wouldn't expect a force that's got that level of discipline and equipment to be improvising technicals out of a beat-up Camaro. Sure, sure... necessity's the mother of invention and all that.

Yeah, I'd be down for them to get a real military ground vehicle. The problem is that there isnt anything really iconic for them (for non-EU nerds). The Luke landspeeder technical is janky but its from ANH and its recognized.

Here's hoping that Disney continues to re-canonize stuff so we can get some more rebel vehicle options.