Ackbar and Salvo

By ovinomanc3r, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

No, I'm not trying to add dice.

I don't have the new stuff yet and not sure I'll get it ever so I pick the Salvo effect from the Armada wiki hoping it is right.

What means "ignore firing arcs" when performing a Salvo attack?

As I understand this I'm not attacking from the rear but neither from the right or left so if I already activated and used Ackbar effect I cannot Salvo this round right? Just as I cannot counter from the front or rear zones.

You ignore firing arcs when salvoing due to that a lot of ships can sometimes have clear line of sight and attacking firing arc, but the defender does not.

As for Ackbar

If your ship has not activated, no worries. Salvo away.

IF the ship has activated, and you declared the use of Ackbars effect, that ship is now restricted to only salvoing from its left and right hull zones. If attacked in those zones. Attacks to the front and rear zones cannot be salvoed.

Yes just like how counter with QLT currently works.

Because a Salvo attack originates from the defending hull zone using the "printed armament" of the rear hull zone.

Edited by Karneck
26 minutes ago, Karneck said:

You ignore firing arcs when salvoing due to that a lot of ships can sometimes have clear line of sight and attacking firing arc, but the defender does not.

As for Ackbar

If your ship has not activated, no worries. Salvo away.

IF the ship has activated, and you declared the use of Ackbars effect, that ship is now restricted to only salvoing from its left and right hull zones. If attacked in those zones. Attacks to the front and rear zones cannot be salvoed.

Yes just like how counter with QLT currently works.

Because a Salvo attack originates from the defending hull zone using the "printed armament" of the rear hull zone.

But do you salvo “using” a firing arc? The description in the wiki says you use range and LoS of the attack, but ignore firing arcs as if you weren’t using a firing arc at all.

QLT let you perform the counter using LoS and firing arcs as normal.

Edited by ovinomanc3r
17 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

But do you salvo “using” a firing arc?

My understanding is that you salvo "using" a hull zone (the defending hull zone). The firing arc is only there to check whether you have arc on the target, and for salvo attacks you skip that step because you ignore firing arcs. So you can salvo a hull zone even if you don't have it in arc, provided it had you in arc (necessary for the original attack to happen).

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

But do you salvo “using” a firing arc? The description in the wiki says you use range and LoS of the attack, but ignore firing arcs as if you weren’t using a firing arc at all.

QLT let you perform the counter using LoS and firing arcs as normal.

As stated in the rules booklet. The firing arc is ignored when drawing line of sight. Its not ignored totally for the purposes of something like Solar Corona objective.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, ovinomanc3r said:

What means "ignore firing arcs" when performing a Salvo attack?

As I understand this I'm not attacking from the rear but neither from the right or left so if I already activated and used Ackbar effect I cannot Salvo this round right? Just as I cannot counter from the front or rear zones.

Ignoring firing arc is the complicated way to express an easy concept. When ship A attacks B and B spends Salvo defense token B gets a Salvo counter-attack. You don‘t check if this attack is legal as you would when attacking during B‘s activation. You don‘t measure for range and don‘t check if the attack would be obstructed, but use those conditions from the original attack.

In short: You don‘t measure for the Salvo conter but just mirror the former attack.

But as far as I understand the new rules the mirror applies also to the defending hull zone for ship B. It becomes the attacking hull zone during the Salvo attack. For that and because Ackbar‘s effect and conditions apply for the „round“ it matters if you want to Salvo from front or rear arc and use the Ackbar‘s effect the same round. For that Ackbar is not the best commander to be combined with Salvo. But when you use Salvo you don‘t attack with the rear arc but only use the printed battery of this arc what is a huge difference (at least for Ackbar). As Karneck stated all other effects apply, like those from objective cards, with the exception for all effects that would add dice.