Official Descent Novel??

By Cotgrave, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm definitely excited for this. I'll gobble up any Terrinoth lore.

I wonder if that new Dezra art will be used in future games. It's pretty nice.

I will pick up anything Descent related, pre-ordered this already. It will be interesting to see what they do with this, and what its intent is. Usually tie in books mean there is something to tie in with (I am and apparently shall ever be hopeful from the slighted suggestion of 'news')!; odd that there was nothing posted about it here, again I thought I must have missed some announcement.

It seems like it will be about the Heroes from the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion. Durik, Ulma, Logan and Dezera. Maybe Dezera will be a sort of antagonist?

I cool fan project would be to create a campaign book or a Valkyre campaign based on this novel, using components from the Base game and Labyrinth of Ruin. You could also create a Lieutenant card for Dezera using the new art on the cover, sort of like how Raythen and Serena works.

Must be a tie-in with the mysterious "descent-related, more ambitious than anything we've ever done" project they allegedly are working on.

Hopefully.

5 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

Must be a tie-in with the mysterious "descent-related, more ambitious than anything we've ever done" project they allegedly are working on.

Hopefully.

This does seem like more of a multi-prong/multi-media approach to bring more attention to the IP, and whatever big project they have down the works.

23 hours ago, Cotgrave said:

First saw this link posted on BGG:

https://aconytebooks.com/book-announcement/join-us-in-terrinoth-for-epic-adventure-youll-not-soon-forget-introducing-the-doom-of-fallowhearth-by-robbie-macniven/

Its been up since late May! Any idea why its not posted on FFG? Any other word of this came out and I just missed it?

Looking at this part of Aconyte Books site, it looks like this may be more of a push from Asmodee moving novels to a new business group, not necessarily FFG's business.

https://aconytebooks.com/news/incoming-here-are-our-first-titles/

https://aconytebooks.com/aconyte-books/

ACONYTE is the novels division of Asmodee Entertainment, to deliver on the Asmodee slogan: “Great games, amazing stories!”, and to create new and exciting content to be leveraged on further entertainment platforms as we strive to create truly global brands.

Our goal is to become the go-to partners for tie-in fiction for all the best pop-culture IPs.

With Asmodee's plan of breaking up FFG into two separate companies, and moving the Terrinoth RPG (along with other RPGs) to Edge, FFG's site may not be up to date with all the different projects being shuffled around. They did recently post about the release of Blood of Baalshandor which was already in the works, but it looks like a couple more Arkham Horror novels are in the works with these new guys. Some cross-promotion would have been a good idea, though.

In any case, I'm pre-ordering the new Descent novel, thanks for finding that!

Edited by kris40k

This was an excellent analysis, kris40K.

As mentioned I pre-ordered soon after I found it too, as from past experiences the 'physical copies' of such things are usually niche comparative to expansions and the like, as such numbers produced are far fewer and disappear quick.

Thanks again.

A curious takeaway from this is the name of the novel.

For instance, the "Arkham Horror" name is still being used for the books set in that shared world which include a variety of games.

This is using the new "Descent: Journeys in the Dark" instead of "Terrinoth", which was the name that replaced "Runebound" for all games in that shared world, which could either have been a mistake, or a conscious decision to put more emphasis and consumer attention on the Descent game.

Edited by kris40k

Re: Name. Terrinoth/Descent.

I caught that too. Could be a separation between board game and RPG assets, referencing the same structure shifts FFG has been making that you mentioned?

Edited by Cotgrave