the End of LOTR LCG ?

By Ekika2, in Player community

Hi guys !

I have been wondering for a while about the possible end of the LOTR LCG.

I observe a slowdown of the extensions and especially a lack of information on the future of this living card game.

Do you know if there will be a sequel ?

Cordially,

Ekika

We know the current cycle is the last cycle. They have also said the game will return with new content after a “hiatus,” but not as a second edition. And I believe that’s literally all we know, with anything else being speculation (please somebody correct me if I’ve missed some other news about that).

Personally I’m not expecting any new content after the last adventure pack from this cycle. Maybe a Scouring of the Shire event for a future GenCon or something, but I’d be very surprised to see a series of new content being published regularly at any point in the future. I think they consider the game complete.

I would also assume they continue with PoD kits, as they seem to be going through the theme of each cycle (mirkwood and khazad dum currently), takes very little resources and very little creativity -- no offense to them, they're actually pretty solid products.

Let's hope we keep on and maybe speed up the release of nightmare decks for thecmissing saga quests and, after that, the release of the missing nightmare decks for deluxe and AP expansion. Obviously being this cycle the last one it would be better to wait for a period before releasing this cycle nightmare decks.

I think we all wondering what they actually means with the statement that the game would be returning after a hiatus ...

1 hour ago, Halberto said:

I think we all wondering what they actually means with the statement that the game would be returning after a hiatus ...

Maybe a Second Age-themed game, using the same rules, if the Amazon series ends up based in that era?

Just idle speculation...

The Amazon series will be set in the 2nd Age. But it cost them a fortune to get the rights for that so I am not sure the game can simply follow, though I have no legal understanding of such matters. It would be a good idea if they went that way but the release of the show is probably the very late of 2021, so we would have a long wait for that (which we might have for any new content anyway).

On 6/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, TwiceBorn said:

Maybe a Second Age-themed game, using the same rules, if the Amazon series ends up based in that era?

An interesting idea. I could see why they would want to take advantage of that series, look at all the Game of Thrones content. In fact, they could even focus more on that series as opposed to the Second Age as a whole. That would fit in with the idea of no new cycles but no second edition either.

Does anyone know if the Mordor cycle will stop with just 5 AP's or will it get a 6th one like all the other cycles?

On 6/11/2020 at 1:40 AM, lleimmoen said:

The Amazon series will be set in the 2nd Age. But it cost them a fortune to get the rights for that so I am not sure the game can simply follow, though I have no legal understanding of such matters. It would be a good idea if they went that way but the release of the show is probably the very late of 2021, so we would have a long wait for that (which we might have for any new content anyway).

Like you, I know nothing of licensing costs, terms, conditions, etc. I presume (perhaps incorrectly) that the license costs for a card game would be substantially less than it would be for a TV show. The real question is: is Middle-Earth Enterprises (or whoever else holds the rights to the Second Age material) willing to license the Second Age content to parties other than Amazon. My sense is that once you've opened the door to one party, it's open to all.

I see no reason why FFG would need to wait until after Amazon has released their TV show to release a Second Age card game, especially if the latter is based on the original source material and not in the TV show (which is sure to deviate from Tolkien's work at one point or another). Better to start the ball rolling several months before the show releases so that they're ahead of the game and don't need to play catch up when the hype machine gets going? In my estimation, the only reason to not do so would be if Amazon had somehow negotiated a deal that prevented any other party from releasing Second Age based content (regardless of product type), whether before or even after release of the show (unless sub-licensed through Amazon?).

Again, I have no inside knowledge, this is just more idle speculation that may be way off base...

No, it makes perfect sense: they don’t need to wait. I think their idea with Hobbit saga came also because of the (then upcoming) movies even though the art is not based on the movie, and the whole game follows the books only. So yes, they can (if they can, legal-wise) release it before the tv show, perhaps not too long before it, just to sail in the wave. I for one, am really excited about the 2nd Age content, and would be about the game from that era, though most of my favourite characters are either from the 1st or, of course, the 3rd Age.

PS. I would not be surprised if Amazon had a say in stuff (game, etc.) released around the time of the show, after all they really have paid a lot just for the rights (though they can afford it), and the rumor has it, it is going to be the most expensive tv show to date. Let us hope it is going to be the best as well.

I wonder what is harder, making quests or making player content? I feel like they have some gaps in player content and would love to see them release a pack or more of just player content. It would be nice to maybe see a Frodo or Aragorn (Strider) ally card, Sam only has one hero whereas, the rest of the fellowship (other than Gandalf) have multiple heroes. Fill in more heroes and allies for The Hobbit characters. Maybe even allies of heroes like Eowyn, Eomer, Theoden, etc.

I would be all for player cards only content, with all the errata cards as a bonus of sorts, some of them redesigned: Horn of Gondor, for instance.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:13 AM, GrandSpleen said:

We know the current cycle is the last cycle. They have also said the game will return with new content after a “hiatus,” but not as a second edition. And I believe that’s literally all we know, with anything else being speculation (please somebody correct me if I’ve missed some other news about that).

Personally I’m not expecting any new content after the last adventure pack from this cycle. Maybe a Scouring of the Shire event for a future GenCon or something, but I’d be very surprised to see a series of new content being published regularly at any point in the future. I think they consider the game complete.

It seems most likely, as I'm sure others have speculated, that when LOTR does return, it will be rereleased in the Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions LCG format. Stand-alone heroes and scenarios. This makes it easier for new players to jump in with ready-to-play heroes that will work with a current scenario pack. This also helps new players avoid the barrier of entry trying to track down long lost expacks or nowhere-to-be-found starter sets.

4 hours ago, urloony said:

It seems most likely, as I'm sure others have speculated, that when LOTR does return, it will be rereleased in the Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions LCG format. Stand-alone heroes and scenarios. This makes it easier for new players to jump in with ready-to-play heroes that will work with a current scenario pack. This also helps new players avoid the barrier of entry trying to track down long lost expacks or nowhere-to-be-found starter sets.

How would that work with LOTR sphere-focuses deck building. Marvel's and Arkham's deck-building is focused around the character. Not true for LOTR

10 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

How would that work with LOTR sphere-focuses deck building. Marvel's and Arkham's deck-building is focused around the character. Not true for LOTR

It's complicated to restructure the releases, but I don't think in the way that you're thinking. When I build, I don't decide on the sphere first, I start with the hero with a strong ability for the deck theme I'm looking for and look for card combos that work well and then build the deck from there. Perhaps this method varies from player to player. With AH and MC I also start with my hero and then build out my deck as you suggest.

The real problem is creating a 50 card player deck that works out of the box with three heroes. Currently, there are 9 heroes per release, divided over six expansions plus a deluxe expansion. Trying to adapt the hero pack concept is harder for LOTR, but it's not impossible. The hero packs wouldn't be all that strong, but if we're honest neither are the hero packs for MC.

Goal: reduce the barrier of entry for new players making it easier for them to jump into the game without breaking the bank

Option A: restructure could look something like this:

• 3 "hero packs" that include 50 player cards plus your three heroes
  • 3 "scenario packs"
  • 1 Deluxe expansion that includes six scenarios.

Option B: restructure:

• The deluxe expansion contains all of the heroes and player cards for the entire expansion. One constructed "player deck" along with the rest of the new player cards, plus three scenarios.
  • 6 "scenario packs"