Reboot of Clan war or L5R figures for the RPG??

By EdgarIsmael, in Lore Discussion

After the card game and the role playing game of Legend of the five rings, is also planned a new version of Clan war, the fantasy Miniatures game based on the world of Rokugan ( like the Star Wars legion game) https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/ ? Or maybe just figures, such as the Arkham investigators ones, for the rpg? Thanks.

Edited by EdgarIsmael

There have been no announcements in the direction of Clan War. Someone made a conversion of Test of Honour though.

As for minis, there's an L5R mini crate - each month, a single mini is released. I think this month is Yoritomo. However, for single minis, it's horribly overpriced and once a mini is over, that's it, you'll never get it again.

I'd honestly quite like something like Battleground for doing large-scale battles in Rokugan. Or possibly a set of army lists for De Bellis Antiquitatis .

Oh, look, this wasn't actually a good-faith post, but a way to get scummy links into the forum. Ugh.

I like the idea of Battlegrounds, seems like that could finally make wargaming more affordable.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Myrion said:

Oh, look, this wasn't actually a good-faith post, but a way to get scummy links into the forum. Ugh.

I like the idea of Battlegrounds, seems like that could finally make wargaming more affordable.

I'd like to hope you were referring to the OP rather than my reply...

On consideration, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do Battleground: Rokugan, but I think you could do things with DBA. The important thing about WRG games is that the role of the troops is much more important than anything else. I'd put Oni into the Elephants category, or possibly Knights, and Shugenja are either Bows or Artillery, depending on how effective you think they are.

I did, sorry I didn't make that clear!

Personally, I would rather like some kind of character-focused skirmish game. 1-2 big hero models, 3-4 minor hero models, and maybe a dozen or so fodder the heroes must cleave through to reach each other. This seems to be the go-to battle setup in fictions, at least.

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

Personally, I would rather like some kind of character-focused skirmish game. 1-2 big hero models, 3-4 minor hero models, and maybe a dozen or so fodder the heroes must cleave through to reach each other. This seems to be the go-to battle setup in fictions, at least.

Same. I used to be very big into large army games, but as I have gotten older, I have enjoyed smaller skirmish style ones, especially ones that involve more objectives than just killing the other team.

I would even enjoy something that has a bit of an RPG element, where you can improve your troops over time. Bonus points if it ties in well with the actual RPG.

Just in case anyone's interested, my attempts at DBA for Rokugan:

Crab Clan

1 x General Hida (4Bd) or Kaiu (Art), 1 x Ballista (Art), 4 x Samurai (4Bd), 2 x Hiruma (Ps or 3Bw), 4 x Ashigaru with yari (3Pk)

Terrain Type : Arable Aggression : 1

Crane Clan

1 x General Kakita or Daidoji (3Bd) or Doji (CP or 4Bw), 1 x Harriers (Ps), 2 x Samurai archers (4Bw), 3 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Dragon Clan

1 x General Mirumoto (3Bd) or Togashi (3Ax), 1 x yamabushi (3Cb or Ps), 1 x Ise Zumi (3Ax), 2 x Samurai (3Bd), 2 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Hilly Aggression : 0

Lion Clan

1 x General Akodo (3Bd or CP) or Matsu (3Wb), 6 x samurai (3Bd) or berserkers (3Wb), 4 x ashigaru with yari (3Pk), 1 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Arable Aggression : 2

Phoenix Clan

1 x General Shiba (3Bd) or Isawa (4Cb), 2 x samurai (3Bd), 2 x shugenja (3Cb), 2 x sohei (3Ax) or samurai (3Bd), 5 x ashigaru (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Forest Aggression : 0

Scorpion Clan

1 x General Bayushi (3Bd) or Soshi or Yogo (3Cb), 4 x Samurai (3Bd), 2 x inflitrators (PS or 3Ax), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Unicorn Clan

1 x General Moto (Cv) Utaku (Kn) or Shinjo (LH), 4 x Cavalry or Horse Archers (Cv or LH), 2 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari (3Pk)

Terrain Type : Steppe Aggression : 2

Shadowlands

1 x General Oni (El or Kn) or Lost (Cv or 3Bd), 2 x Oni (El or Kn), 3 x Lost (Cv or 3Bd) or Ogres (4Bd), 6 x Bakemono (3Wb or Ps) or Undead (7Hd)

Terrain Type : Dry Aggression : 3

At one point I converted a few of the Clans to Warmaster using the Ancients version with Fantasy Magic. I was never quite happy how the Phoenix came out.

5 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Just in case anyone's interested, my attempts at DBA for Rokugan:

Crab Clan

1 x General Hida (4Bd) or Kaiu (Art), 1 x Ballista (Art), 4 x Samurai (4Bd), 2 x Hiruma (Ps or 3Bw), 4 x Ashigaru with yari (3Pk)

Crane Clan

1 x General Kakita or Daidoji (3Bd) or Doji (CP or 4Bw), 1 x Harriers (Ps), 2 x Samurai archers (4Bw), 3 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Dragon Clan

1 x General Mirumoto (3Bd) or Togashi (3Ax), 1 x yamabushi (3Cb or Ps), 1 x Ise Zumi (3Ax), 2 x Samurai (3Bd), 2 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Hilly Aggression : 0

Lion Clan

1 x General Akodo (3Bd or CP) or Matsu (3Wb), 6 x samurai (3Bd) or berserkers (3Wb), 4 x ashigaru with yari (3Pk), 1 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Arable Aggression : 2

Phoenix Clan

1 x General Shiba (3Bd) or Isawa (4Cb), 2 x samurai (3Bd), 2 x shugenja (3Cb), 2 x sohei (3Ax) or samurai (3Bd), 5 x ashigaru (3Pk or 3Bw)

Terrain Type : Forest Aggression : 0

Scorpion Clan

1 x General Bayushi (3Bd) or Soshi or Yogo (3Cb), 4 x Samurai (3Bd), 2 x inflitrators (PS or 3Ax), 5 x ashigaru with yari or bow (3Pk or 3Bw)

Unicorn Clan

1 x General Moto (Cv) Utaku (Kn) or Shinjo (LH), 4 x Cavalry or Horse Archers (Cv or LH), 2 x Samurai (3Bd or 4Bw), 5 x ashigaru with yari (3Pk)

Terrain Type : Steppe Aggression : 2

Shadowlands

1 x General Oni (El or Kn) or Lost (Cv or 3Bd), 2 x Oni (El or Kn), 3 x Lost (Cv or 3Bd) or Ogres (4Bd), 6 x Bakemono (3Wb or Ps) or Undead (7Hd)

Terrain Type : Dry Aggression : 3

Why DBA instead of HOTT?

1 hour ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

At one point I converted a few of the Clans to Warmaster using the Ancients version with Fantasy Magic. I was never quite happy how the Phoenix came out.

Why DBA instead of HOTT?

I assumed that the Phoenix elemental legions are basically there for ranged fire support, so count as bows. I used the Cb for increased short-ranged effectiveness. I was considering doing the double-based mixed Bow-blade thing to represent shugenja and yojimbo, but it seemed easier to stick to single depth.

DBA has been updated comparatively recently to 3e, but even HOTT second ed is over 15 years old. It might be worthwhile seeing if it's worth importing things for the Oni and shugenja.

HOTT was also updated around the same time, although it seem they only changed the movement rates of Shooters and Warbands. I don't know how deep the changes to DBA were.

Lets try a stab at some clans in HOTT.

Crab Clan :

Stronghold: The Wall

1 Hero General (The Hida Daimyo) @4 AP.

1 Cleric (Kuni Witch-Hunter) @3 AP.

4 Blades (Crab Heavy Infantry) @2 AP

1 Artillery (Kaiu Siege Weapons) @3 AP.

1 Knight (Tsuru's Legion) @2 AP.

2 Shooters (Hiruma or Toritaka archers) @2 AP.

Alternatives: Magician (Kuni Shugenja) @4 AP, Warband (Berserkers) @2 AP, Beast (Kuni Dogs) @2 AP.

Edited by Suzume Chikahisa

I've been saying for ever that a Descent/Imperial Assault Skin for L5R would be great.

Release with 7 Clan and 1 Ronin/Mantis character (I would just use the characters from the Beginners Box myself). Opposition models are a mix of Ronin/Bandit (Sword, Spear Bow) some Goblins, Skeletons and Zombies for Shadowlands. Include an Ogre and a Big Oni as your boss monsters and rules to allow for the PC's that aren't being used to serve as additional antagonist characters. You add a set of rules that mirror the Imperial Assault Skirmish rules for basic map play.

Then you release a series of Clan focused sets that include two additional PC/Antagonist characters that fill out the missing primary character roles (Bushi, Courtier, Shugenja) for that clan and a "unique" clan type unit (So Matsu Lion's Pride, Hida Heavy Infantry, etc.) over the next year or two as well as "reinforcement" packs for the neutrals that were included in the base game.

Gives plenty of options for models for RPG crowd and once the line is built up you can expand to a full minis game using the clan packs as a starting point so that you have all the great clans ready to go out of the gate.

You adopt the same Movement trays and the Non-Combat Unit rules that they were using for the Song of Ice and Fire game and use a unit footprint system and the Courtiers can be your Non-Combat Unit and I think it would work very well

Edited by Schmoozies