Custom Cards

By Baudolino, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

So i`ve been looking for custom cards for a while, but found it difficult.

I decided to start making my own custom cards.

So i downloaded a program I`ve never used before and got to work.

My first custom card is the Super dreadnought Assault Prototype. Because this is the variant I use the most and the official art is absolute rubbish.

Person who approved it must have been drunk or under duress.

So this is my absolute first work. Please comment on what you would do differently or if there is something you would like to add.

I want to put Palpatine in the background, but i`m struggling to find the right art to mesh with.

UPDATE:

Loaded up a new version with corrected text and pic + quote from Palpatine. Please let me know what works and what doesn``t

Custom card - SSD Assault.jpg

Custom card - SSD Assault.jpg

Edited by Baudolino
correction plus addition for comparison

Those, look amazing...I specifically like the shadow of the Papa Pals in the corner, very nice touch!

Hi. I too am an avid custom card creator!

Here is an example of one of mine (hope the link works!) https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3ejiogni6nsmqs/Dictor Supp A.bmp?dl=0

While I’m no photoshop master by any stretch I think you are off to a good start.

My feedback would be as follows-

-Dont make the info boxes transparent. The info needs to be clear and unambiguous.

-My preference is to keep the relevant info on the correct side, ie: dice pools for port batteries on the left of the card.

On a separate note, I wanted to try a SSD custom alt art but the card company I use doesn’t print in the size of the SSD unit card (at least I can’t find a template on their site). Do you have an alternative?

Your link worked.

Card is very clean and info is nicely and orderly presented. Both of which are things I greatly appreciate.

Art was nicely chosen. You picked a background and picture of a ship and then combined them?

I wanted to do the four quadrants for firing arcs like you did, but it didn`t feel right with this picture. Firing arcs were too obtrusive and much of the content in the picture occurs near the edges. Was a difficult design since there is alot of open space at the center of the picture. Given the light colours i found some transparency to work quite nicely. I`ll have to get the card printed before I can decide whether it works or not.

My two next cards have much darker backgrounds and I will organize the firing arcs more like you have done.

I`m working with understanding 3d effects, depth of field and multiple layers to yield some distance effects between objects, but i`m finding it difficult. Hopefully i`ll have something in a week or two.

As for printing i`ll be using a company that does grapchical design work. They`ll supply whatever paper i need and provide any size I require. it`ll just me an arm and a leg per card, but if they come out nice, I think it`ll be worth it:)

Edited by Baudolino
1 hour ago, Baudolino said:

Art was nicely chosen. You picked a background and picture of a ship and then combined them?

I`m working with understanding 3d effects, depth of field and multiple layers to yield some distance effects between objects, but i`m finding it difficult. Hopefully i`ll have something in a week or two.

Yeah, I googled pics of Star Wars planets & added the ship in.

3D effects sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing how that goes.