Aerial

By Tvboy, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

what the heck does it mean?

I've scoured both rulebooks and the pdfs and tried Google and found nothing.

Aerial is a trait, as indicated by being written in bold italic text. By themselves traits do nothing but may be referenced by other cards.

For example, Cosmic Flight grants Captain Marvel the Aerial trait. This doesn't do anything. However, both Crisis Interdiction and Captain Marvel's Helmet gain bonuses if they are played/activated while Captain Marvel has the Aerial trait.

Likewise for Iron Man's Rocket Boots, which can grant him the Aerial trait in exchange for a mental resource. This makes both the Mark V Helmet and his Powered Gauntlets better.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Assussanni
Clarity

By itself, the Aerial trait doesn't do anything.

Certain cards have an added effect if a hero has the Aerial trait and say so on the card. Iron Man's Supersonic Punch does added damage, Captain Marvel's Helmet has added defense, etc.

Well, this will surely be expanded in future content, but at the same time it’s not that there’s little content out there for this game: one core set, quite a bunch of hero packs, two scenario packs and a Deluxe expansion. We have hero-specific cards that give them the aerial trait but no hero-cards for them to take advantage of the aerial trait (I’m looking at you, Doctor Strange and Spider-Woman), a few other heroes have specific cards that give them the aerial trait and two or three cards that synergize with that (Thor, Ironman, Captain Marvel), but still among all the released cards, there’s only ONE card that can be used by any hero and synergies with the aerial trait (Get Over Here), but it forces you to use an aggression deck, and ONE other card (Sky Cycle) that gives the trait but can’t synergize with Get Over Here because the Sky Cycle is a Leadership card.

I know a lot of content is already planned for this game, but as of now it just seems a waste of trait, especially if you play non-aggression Doctor Strange or Spider-Woman, in which case you have absolutely no way to take advantage of their hero-specific cards that give them the Aerial trait.

Edited by Tuzzo
Typo
On 9/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Tuzzo said:

Well, this will surely be expanded in future content, but at the same time it’s not that there’s little content out there for this game: one core set, quite a bunch of hero packs, two scenario packs and a Deluxe expansion. We have hero-specific cards that give them the aerial trait but no hero-cards for them to take advantage of the aerial trait (I’m looking at you, Doctor Strange and Spider-Woman), a few other heroes have specific cards that give them the aerial trait and two or three cards that synergize with that (Thor, Ironman, Captain Marvel), but still among all the released cards, there’s only ONE card that can be used by any hero and synergies with the aerial trait (Get Over Here), but it forces you to use an aggression deck, and ONE other card (Sky Cycle) that gives the trait but can’t synergize with Get Over Here because the Sky Cycle is a Leadership card.

I know a lot of content is already planned for this game, but as of now it just seems a waste of trait, especially if you play non-aggression Doctor Strange or Spider-Woman, in which case you have absolutely no way to take advantage of their hero-specific cards that give them the Aerial trait.

So how do you feel about the general (non-aspect) card The Sorcerer Supreme?

Well, at least you can use that card in a Dr. Strange deck and it works.

To think Thor might get better once they develop Aerial some more.

There is also Genius, Scientist, Soldier, S.H.I.E.L.D., Attorney, King, Wakanda, Inhuman, Scientist,and Gamma to build from as well (just from the Heroes).

Edited by IceHot42

Maybe they will simply make a general card that lets you search for a card with a trait that matches a trait your Identity has. That would be a fast way to augment all the traits at once.

1 hour ago, IceHot42 said:

Maybe they will simply make a general card that lets you search for a card with a trait that matches a trait your Identity has. That would be a fast way to augment all the traits at once.

Team building exercise does make tribal decks work.

10 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

To think Thor might get better once they develop Aerial some more.

There is also Genius, Scientist, Soldier, S.H.I.E.L.D., Attorney, King, Wakanda, Inhuman, Scientist,and Gamma to build from as well (just from the Heroes).

Yep, it is fascinating to see where they go with traits such as genius and soldier as this will potentially and probably freshen up and strengthen old heroes such as Spider Man and many others.

With sky cycle we now have the beginning of cards strengthening allies with traits as well.

The same can be said with villains or minions with traits such as criminal, elite, brute or mercenary, these traits on enemies have not been touched yet but as scenarios are self contained I'm assuming we will eventually see modular sets that strengthen villains and minions with these traits.

4 hours ago, Humantorch101 said:

Yep, it is fascinating to see where they go with traits such as genius and soldier as this will potentially and probably freshen up and strengthen old heroes such as Spider Man and many others.

With sky cycle we now have the beginning of cards strengthening allies with traits as well.

The same can be said with villains or minions with traits such as criminal, elite, brute or mercenary, these traits on enemies have not been touched yet but as scenarios are self contained I'm assuming we will eventually see modular sets that strengthen villains and minions with these traits.

Red Skull's Hydra Reinforcements side scheme has the text " When Defeated: The player who defeated this scheme discards a non- Elite minion."

That makes it look like Elite is going to function the same as it does in Arkham, allowing for a protected group of enemies and an vulnerable group. (I believe all Nemesis minions are Elite.)

Writing it out is the first time I realized the targeted minion does not need to be engaged with the targeting hero.

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

Red Skull's Hydra Reinforcements side scheme has the text " When Defeated: The player who defeated this scheme discards a non- Elite minion."

That makes it look like Elite is going to function the same as it does in Arkham, allowing for a protected group of enemies and an vulnerable group. (I believe all Nemesis minions are Elite.)

Writing it out is the first time I realized the targeted minion does not need to be engaged with the targeting hero.

I've always been amazed that Nemesis minions don't have a Nemesis trait and that Shadows of the Past doesn't use that wording. Seems like they've got less design space too, without that trait.