Covid, Fun Painting and More

By Darthgallant, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

So sitting at home, working from a government laptop and no where to go. Whats a man to do that's use to working 10hrs a day. So it starts with to many trips to the forums...and all of your crazy ideas!

A trip to the local store, a bag of paints with some brushes and out comes the Squadrons, a few days later and that is done! Let me tell you, as a guy who hates painting it was strangely therapeutic.

Next, let buy a 3d Printer and make ship upgrade holders and well those are still going, plus they take a long time...so, lets go to the Hardware store and lets try and build a gaming table. So Im a Naval Engineer by day (retired) and never really worked with wood. So some nice hardwood, a plan and well new tools (what man walks away from new tools). The wife dictated no dice slots or cup holders. She wanted something that could be in a rec room and used for mini's and more. Well for a first time builder we are both extremely pleased and now I have 9 friends all buying lumber for me to build for them. V 2.0 will included fold able shelves!

While I'm in between paint coats on the table I decide to customize my fleets (full disclosure I took my Star Hawk from Darth Veggie on here, not 100%...so full props to that guys work...(You're my inspiration "best 80's hairband impersonation"). Well that was fun... still bored, so lets buy some 3d terrain, and paint that to!

The moral of this story is don't show the wife the credit card statement but man I can't wait to play! Still waiting on the speed cloth insert for under the play mat. Then its board games, MTG, D&D and more

20200425_161936.jpg

20200426_140628.jpg

20200513_234006.jpg

20200525_172454.jpg

20200526_134207.jpg

Edited by Darthgallant
better flow, and man i type bad...engineers do math not spelling

That red and white Starhawk is something else... Fantastic work!

Thanks man, I hated the original color scheme and immediately fell in love with Darth Veggies. Not wanting to 100% steal his idea I modified it but I still have to give him the credit for my idea. I love it, but the shining star is the MC75, on the table it looks amazing. Overall really happy with my first attempts at painting. Anyone worried, youtube and these forums are a fantastic resources to get your feet wet. I learned everything I needed between those 2!

Furthering my fleet customization. I have enough ships that I can do 2 schemes. So with that in mind, I did my Primary Rebel home fleet traditional Red and White, with a quick response fleet in Blue and White. Conversely My empire is both Primary Gunmetal with black accents or Black with Gun metal. So more pics in action! Along with terrain on my table!

20200512_190457.jpg 574049818_Fleettrouble.jpg.7383b1d711f795f152c67cb30dc44a8a.jpg

Edited by Darthgallant

932138850_Moretrouble.jpg.29a469172157bb7f91d46f47c639f50f.jpg

Hmm, your schemes are maybe a little too blocky for my taste, but well executed! Wish my painting was that crisp.

9 hours ago, Alzer said:

Hmm, your schemes are maybe a little too blocky for my taste, but well executed! Wish my painting was that crisp.

I knew that people would have that opinion, I also completely get it and respect it. I'm a Navy veteran (25 yrs) so I wanted Block schemes with mostly primary colors or shades. Nothing to fluid so it resembled a Navy ship. My Imps are definitely blocky and I took care to have clear lines like a dictators ships would look mean and impressive. My Rebs though are different. Up close (not as visible in the pics) there are swatches of different color whites and they look less so. I wanted them to look used and in service: just like a real Navy ship when you mix and match paints and from a difference they look uniform but up close...not so much. The only exception was the M75, no clue why I left it that way but I love it lol.

I actually find your red and white MC75 quite striking. It's well done and not something I've seen before.

Looks great!

Where did you get the asteroids and space station?

FD